BBO Discussion Forums: Lead Problem - Partner Doubles 6N - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Lead Problem - Partner Doubles 6N

#1 User is offline   the saint 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Cycling
    Running
    Sport Science
    Babysitting the 'kiddies'
    Decks and CHOOOONS!

Posted 2015-January-05, 14:47

You hold:

xxxx
x
109xxxx
xx

Playing a county league match in England against moderate oppositon. RHO opens 1NT(12-14), you pass, LHO bids 6NT and partner doubles which ends the auction. You haven't specifically agreed anything here about the meaning of the double.

1) What do you lead
a) If there where no double
b) Now there has been one

2) Sensible thoughts for agreements in this position.

There's 28 or so IMPs on this one!
He's justified and he's ancient, and he drives an ice cream van.

#2 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2015-January-05, 14:53

Obviously, partner has AK somewhere and is telling you to make an educated guess. Such a holding usually happens in our shortest suit, so a heart lead seems called for (conviction reinforced by failure of opps looking for a major suit fit). In absence of dbl, I would probably lead a spade or diamond.

#3 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-05, 15:37

View Postwhereagles, on 2015-January-05, 14:53, said:

Obviously, partner has AK somewhere and is telling you to make an educated guess. Such a holding usually happens in our shortest suit, so a heart lead seems called for (conviction reinforced by failure of opps looking for a major suit fit). In absence of dbl, I would probably lead a spade or diamond.

Pretty much this. I would lead a if there was no X.
"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#4 User is offline   the saint 

• PipPipPipPip
    Running
    Sport Science
    Decks and CHOOOONS!

Posted 2015-January-05, 15:50

These were my thoughts - I just wanted to see what the consensus was out there in the bridge universe. I was the doubler.

I held:
J10x
AQ109xxx
x
Jx

I doubled gambling that the heart king was more likely underneath the AQ (given the 12-14NT) and that it would alert partner that something was up. He tanked and led...

A spade... -1880.

A heart would have defeated the contract. He mumbled something about double asking for a spade lead. I was just wondering how common an agreement that was.

#5 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-05, 16:18

If we have two winners in a major (or a probable two tricks as here), partner is basically known to be broke, so how can he guess right unless we have a firm agreement?

Here, the "lead the shorter major" agreement works well, but it falls down in many other situations where partner has similar holdings. I prefer the certainty of the "lead a spade" agreement, for this generic situation. The corollary, is that when partner does not double and I am broke, I will tend to fish out a heart lead.

#6 User is offline   biggerclub 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-05, 16:44

Lead a Spade is pretty common in my California circles.

#7 User is offline   MickyB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-05, 17:59

If we figure that partner is more likely to have the AK of our short suit, we should also figure that the opponents are more likely to have length in our short suit, and that if they are missing AK of hearts, they may not have twelve fast tricks outside of hearts.

#8 User is offline   whereagles 

Posted 2015-January-05, 18:20

View Postthe saint, on 2015-January-05, 15:50, said:

He mumbled something about double asking for a spade lead. I was just wondering how common an agreement that was.

That's common for 3NT, not 6NT :)

#9 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-06, 03:47

View Postwhereagles, on 2015-January-05, 18:20, said:

That's common for 3NT, not 6NT :)

Funny, I'd imagine it exactly the other way around. A X of 3nt with no suit information implies more lead the short major to set up partner's long suit. A X of 6nt is about getting 2 tricks and hitting partner's KQ or something before the A is driven out or the like.

With no X I'm leading a diamond. With the X I'm leading a spade. Absent explicit agreements about the X otherwise.

#10 User is offline   whereagles 

Posted 2015-January-06, 03:51

View PostMbodell, on 2015-January-06, 03:47, said:

Funny, I'd imagine it exactly the other way around.

Well I learned it vs 3NT. Not an agreement I particularly like, but I've heard of it. (Prefer dbl = "guess my AKQxx+ suit" vs 3NT.)

#11 User is offline   the saint 

• PipPipPipPip
    Running
    Sport Science
    Decks and CHOOOONS!

Posted 2015-January-06, 15:31

View PostMickyB, on 2015-January-05, 17:59, said:

If we figure that partner is more likely to have the AK of our short suit, we should also figure that the opponents are more likely to have length in our short suit, and that if they are missing AK of hearts, they may not have twelve fast tricks outside of hearts.

Although we have TWO short suits here. So possible they could have twelve tricks outside! Yes, I know I gave you this problem previously!

#12 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-06, 18:45

Since reading Bird and Anthias, I've wondered if X of 3N (given no suits bid) should be 'lead my minor', on the grounds that when you've got a running major, P should be able to find it on his own.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#13 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2015-January-06, 19:33

View Postthe saint, on 2015-January-05, 14:47, said:

You hold: x x x x x 10 9 x x x x x x
Playing a county league match in England against moderate oppositon. RHO opens 1NT(12-14), you pass, LHO bids 6NT and partner doubles which ends the auction. You haven't specifically agreed anything here about the meaning of the double.
1) What do you lead
a) If there where no double
b) Now there has been one
2) Sensible thoughts for agreements in this position.
There's 28 or so IMPs on this one!
IMO
  • With no agreement, without a double: = 10, = 6 = 5, = 4.
  • With no agreement, after partner doubles: = 10, = 9, = 8. = 7. Partner's double might be based on an AK; or on a KQ with an outside ace. Partner's high cards are more likely to be in his long suits. Hence he is unlikely to want a lead. If you lead a short suit (here or ) and you guess right that's fine but if you guess wrong, it's likely to be fatal. If you lead a medium suit (here ) and you guess wrong, then that may not be fatal because opponents may have so many cards in partner's suit that declarer may not be able to avoid broaching the suit himself.
  • A double diamond works wonders is the convention that I used to play. Against uninformatively bid notrump contracts, with no clear indication, most players lead a major on the grounds that opponents are more likely to explore for major contracts than for minor contracts. Hence a minor is a less usual lead. Thus, it makes sense to double for a minor lead -- say .
  • When your heart's stopped, pass away. Philking's convention is also sensible. Double for a lead. So when choosing between the majors, tend to lead a if partner doesn't double.
  • Any agreement is likely to be better than none

#14 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2015-January-07, 07:30

I would have led a S. In both cases.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users