• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Yet Another Pre-Empt From Opps

#21 User is offline   masonbarge 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-December-26, 08:04

View PostThe It, on 2014-December-26, 04:04, said:

Points don't make contracts - distribution does.

Yes, your mighty five card spade suit will render all those aces and kings meaningless.

#22 User is offline   mcphee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-December-26, 08:18

You know litte, except the opps have no interest in any slam and partner was no able to act. He could have the wrong shape, even 4333. I think you must bid 4S here, no one likes a coward and you sure do not need much to make it. If thye dble you can always blame partner for having the wrong hand you were bidding.

#23 User is offline   The It 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-December-26, 08:21

View Postmasonbarge, on 2014-December-26, 08:04, said:

Yes, your mighty five card spade suit will render all those aces and kings meaningless.

I'm not saying that just the 5 spades are the distribution - you've got an overall distributional hand - if you were 5332 then sure, that comment makes sense. You're 6/5 - come alive!

#24 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2014-December-26, 08:29

hi Eagles,

Tough call. I am not with all the players throwing caution to the wind and calling 4. It could work. Partner could also possibly propel you into a slam that is down. And quite a few other scenarios...

The 4 caller must be a strong hand, not a pre-emptive raise as partner would have surely come into the auction. (But if you call 4 your partner could well believe that the raise to 4 might be pre-emptive and take you for a much stronger hand) The 2 bidder opened vulnerable in first position. The 4 bidder didn't use Ogust either ( a slight clue).

We already know that two hands are unbalanced - yours and possibly the opener's. This whole hand could be a bit of a misfit. Rubber bridge is a completely different game to IMP and MP bidding, but would I bid 4 in a serious money game? No way!

If 4 is going light, 5 is probably light too. You might get away with a reasonable sacrifice if 4 makes, but I would let sleeping dogs lie and pass. A bit wussy I know, but trying to explain to your teammates a 1100 or similar penalty (if you were playing a team match) is not worth the hassle.

#25 User is offline   Trump Echo 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-26, 09:14

I would definitely pass on the free bid.

But I'd pass on the balance bid too.

#26 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-26, 09:28

View PostThe_Badger, on 2014-December-26, 08:29, said:

If 4 is going light, 5 is probably light too. You might get away with a reasonable sacrifice if 4 makes, but I would let sleeping dogs lie and pass. A bit wussy I know, but trying to explain to your teammates a 1100 or similar penalty (if you were playing a team match) is not worth the hassle.

The better your teammates the less hassle you will deal with, regardless of your choice in this hand. Only those who has little or no clue will raise hell over your decision if it turns out to be wrong. Some people play to win, rather than trying to avoid the hassle. That does not mean you have to put your 2 cents into every auction of course...

As we see in replies, some people look at this hand and see 8 hcp. And they naively believe it needs 13-15 hcp and 4 card spades in order to make game for us.
When I look at it, I see a void heart when opponents opened and raised to game in hearts. I also see a 6-5 hand, holding the boss suit. I also see all my 8 hcps are in my long suits.
Some imagine that RHO may have raised with only 2 hearts and a giant defensive hand while I imagine a lot of other hands too besides feared half trap half making intended 4. Including game for both sides.

Of course both actions can fail miserably. But I have a simple question to passers and you. Imagine a team game, 20 boards. You will hold exactly this same hand, and in all 20 boards LHO will have a vulnerable 2 opener, pd will pass, and RHO will raise to 4 vulnerable. Opponents will not know that you hold the same hand so they can not set you up intentionally and they will have their bid for this auction. You are allowed to choose pass or 4. Since you talked about money bridge, which one would you put your money on to come on top after 20 boards?
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#27 User is offline   bdegrande 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-December-26, 10:15

View Postfourdad, on 2014-December-26, 06:28, said:

BINGO!! Although I agree with the comment that distribution matters as well. Is not the question still pds pass? If I was playing in a pick up game and had a pd who passed this with 13-15 point count and 4 spades. they would go on the blacklist.

Points don't matter, there are only a few key cards that are meaningful. Game could be cold opposite lots of hands partner wouldn't dream of bidding on KJXX and a singleton club could be enough. On many other hands 4 or 5 could be a good save against a making game.

#28 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-26, 12:38

OK, I have dug up a few similar hands from the database, so try this quiz. On each hand the bidding starts 2-pass-4:

1. Game All. KQJ95 A T3 J9643

2. Vul v non vul. QT862 A6 3 AQ872

3. Non vul v vul. KQ876 96 6 AQ832

4. Vul v non vul. 2 = Fantunes. KT743 J QT AQJ84

So, do you feel lucky?

#29 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-26, 12:44

I feel lucky on all of them, though the Fantunes one at that vul scares me. Probably not enough to make me pass, though.

ETA - actually, sod that. On 2 I'll pass at this vul.

ETA ETA - Before you give the results, I'd like to know your selection method for the hands, though :P
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#30 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-26, 13:37

i admit, all four of PhilKing's hands terrify me. for the actual hand I think 4S is clear. so if PK is implying that 4S worked on those 5-5 hands...
Videos of the worst bridge player ever playing bridge:
https://www.youtube....hungPlaysBridge

#31 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-26, 13:50

View PostJinksy, on 2014-December-26, 12:44, said:

I feel lucky on all of them, though the Fantunes one at that vul scares me. Probably not enough to make me pass, though.

ETA - actually, sod that. On 2 I'll pass at this vul.

ETA ETA - Before you give the results, I'd like to know your selection method for the hands, though :P

I just picked all four occasions where there was a marginal 2-suiter with 5 spades.

#32 User is offline   masonbarge 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-26, 14:17

View PostThe It, on 2014-December-26, 08:21, said:

I'm not saying that just the 5 spades are the distribution - you've got an overall distributional hand - if you were 5332 then sure, that comment makes sense. You're 6/5 - come alive!

When the heart ace hits the table those clubs are going to be garbage unless you can pull trumps.

#33 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2014-December-26, 15:51

View PostPhilKing, on 2014-December-26, 12:38, said:

OK, I have dug up a few similar hands from the database, so try this quiz. On each hand the bidding starts 2-pass-4:

1. Game All. KQJ95 A T3 J9643

2. Vul v non vul. QT862 A6 3 AQ872

3. Non vul v vul. KQ876 96 6 AQ832

4. Vul v non vul. 2 = Fantunes. KT743 J QT AQJ84

So, do you feel lucky?

4 on all of them. On all 4 hands, it is quite possible that both sides can make 9 or 10 tricks (possibly more).

Aside from everything else, the 4 bid may push them to 5.

#34 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2014-December-26, 17:54

View PostArtK78, on 2014-December-26, 15:51, said:

Aside from everything else, the 4 bid may push them to 5.

Yes this gives you 2 ways to win. Opps may have been stretching themselves on distribution and may find it hard to double you even if you are going for a number

Sarcasm is a state of mind

#35 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2014-December-27, 00:58

This hand will pass if you bid 4s? Dream on, Rik.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#36 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-27, 01:40

I found the split on poster opinions interesting. With few exceptions, the posters I consider to be advanced or expert chose 4, while there are a lot of new posters I don't know anything about who passed.

#37 User is offline   GrahamJson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-27, 01:57

Other posters have made much of having a heart void. This may not be such a great holding as it makes it more likely that partner is sitting with KQ10x or better and can't wait to defend. In many respects xxx would be a better holding as then partner is likely to be short and have a fit for one of your suits.

#38 User is offline   GrahamJson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-27, 02:48

Ok, if partner had xxx that would give him 14 cards, but you get the idea. Voids are great once you have found a fit, but in competitive situations like this they are often warnings of a misfit.

#39 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-27, 03:19

View PostGrahamJson, on 2014-December-27, 02:48, said:

Ok, if partner had xxx that would give him 14 cards, but you get the idea. Voids are great once you have found a fit, but in competitive situations like this they are often warnings of a misfit.

Well, when opponents have a guaranteed 9+ card fit, then you have AT LEAST one 8-card fit, and probably two fits, therefore, it cannot be a misfit! I bid 4 pretty quickly, because 10 tricks is easier than 11; if we don't have a Spade fit, I expect us to have a major Club fit and we'll find it then. If not, -500 is still better than -620.
"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#40 User is offline   GrahamJson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-27, 05:10

I don't trust oppo that much. These days players will open 2H on Kxxxx because "it's a bidders game", so there is no guarantee oppo have a nine card fit. Some days they may not even have eight. Yes, 4S could easily be the winning bid, but on average I think Pass is the percentage action. There is also partnership confidence. Partners aren't generally happy if you go for 1,100 by taking unilateral action when they re sitting on HKQJx. They are more likely to understand not coming in at the four level on Qxxxx. But maybe I'm still attached too much to Reece's ideas.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users