• You cannot reply to this topic

Taken Out

#1 User is offline   uva72uva72 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-December-27, 02:21

My link

IMPs, ACBL robot individual

I realize that making generalizations without supporting data is bad practice, but it certainly does seem as if the robot is converting an unusual number of take-out doubles to penalty doubles even when it has a good response available. I am accustomed to seeing "fright" conversions where the robot has an extremely weak hand. But until recently I don't recall seeing instances such as this one in which the robot has a decent hand and a good suit to bid. I believe I am well within the system note parameters for the take-out double; and given the prevailing vulnerability, we would need to beat the contract 2 tricks to get a better result that +130 in 3, and at enormous risk. I thought it was generally accepted that at IMPs you never double the opponents into game unless you are looking at a 2-trick set minimum, but then I may be dating myself.

I've seen the robot pass take-out doubles 3 times recently while holding a hand offering a comfortable response. In one instance, the robot had 4-card fits in two of the unbid suits and still passed. On the display hand, the winning actions were to ignore the singleton and make the take-out double in the 1st round or to overcall with 2 immediately, neither of which, I confess, occurred to me. My lack of imagination cost me 18 and 13.5 IMPs respectively.

#2 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2014-December-27, 09:11

Leaving a takeout double in with no trump tricks and a possible 9-card fit is losing bridge. Is Gib not you who screwed up.

you shouldn't overcall a 4-card minor even at 1-level never mind 2-level, no upside.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users