#1 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2014-December-24, 12:45

Pairs

Opposite a precision pair, 2 explained as 12-16 hcp, 6 or and a M
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#2 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-24, 12:56

View Postjillybean, on 2014-December-24, 12:45, said:

Pairs

Opposite a precision pair, 2 explained as 12-16 hcp, 6 or and a M

X
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#3 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-24, 13:01

X
The artist formerly known as jlall

#4 User is online   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-December-24, 14:10

Double. Could lead to disaster but then so could getting out of bed in the morning. We have an opening hand, albeit a minimum, and short diamonds. It therefore behooves us to act
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#5 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2014-December-24, 15:20

View Postmikeh, on 2014-December-24, 14:10, said:

Double. Could lead to disaster but then so could getting out of bed in the morning. We have an opening hand, albeit a minimum, and short diamonds. It therefore behooves us to act

Agree with X.

#6 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2014-December-24, 15:29

4/4 so far! I like you guys.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#7 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-24, 17:18

Looking at just the hand and the bidding, before the explanation, assuming a weak 2, I was about to exclaim, "Are you crazy?" (knowing half (well maybe a third) of the forum would also be crazy :P )

Opposite 12-16, I double without thinking nonvulnerable at MPs. I might think about it a bit vulnerable or at IMPs.

#8 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-24, 17:27

View Postakwoo, on 2014-December-24, 17:18, said:

Looking at just the hand and the bidding, before the explanation, assuming a weak 2, I was about to exclaim, "Are you crazy?" (knowing half (well maybe a third) of the forum would also be crazy :P )

Opposite 12-16, I double without thinking nonvulnerable at MPs. I might think about it a bit vulnerable or at IMPs.

Interesting. Does it matter if it is weak or intermediate? I would balance a bit more aggressively against a weak two, maybe. And I might, by agreement, play WJO against an intermediate two. Maybe overcall lighter, especially if p is a passed hand. But should a direct seat t/o double be different?
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#9 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-December-24, 22:01

Double, whether it be Weak or Intermediate. If it were a Weak 2M opening however and I had a similar shape, then I would pass.
"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#10 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-24, 22:26

View Posthelene_t, on 2014-December-24, 17:27, said:

Interesting. Does it matter if it is weak or intermediate? I would balance a bit more aggressively against a weak two, maybe. And I might, by agreement, play WJO against an intermediate two. Maybe overcall lighter, especially if p is a passed hand. But should a direct seat t/o double be different?

Yes - I firmly believe that direct seat actions, and especially doubles, against weak openings should be somewhat sounder, because partner needs to be able to make judgements about whether to invite or whether to bid a game (particularly if 3rd seat acts) more frequently and therefore needs a more precise idea of your strength. Also, balancing seat can act with a weaker hand opposite a weak 2, so you can pass slightly stronger hands knowing that partner will balance appropriately.

This is less important for overcalls because game in that case is likely to depend more on shape and less on strength.

Also, if your criteria for a double are the same against weak as against intermediate 2's, you'll be doubling a much larger percentage of the time against a weak 2, and that seems wrong on general principles of bidding system economy.

It's similar to the principle that direct seat overcalls against a mini or weak NT should be sound (no matter what defense you're using), whereas interventions against a strong NT are much weaker.

Of course this is only useful when you've actually explicitly agreed to this principle (of sound direct seat actions against weak bids) with your partner.

#11 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2014-December-24, 22:52

(I've rotated the hand to the actual layout)

-100, next hand please.
(still learning)

#12 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-24, 23:19

If it's a regular partner, you need to sit down and discuss this one. Either you agree that (a) West doesn't have a takeout double, or you agree that (b) East is only worth 3 invitational (keeping in mind that the Q is worthless).

I think (a) is better against intermediate 2's and (b) is better against weak 2's, but any agreement is better than no agreement.

EDIT: Aargh - can't keep track of what I'm typing - see correction below - not correcting here since it would be confusing.

#13 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2014-December-25, 00:09

View Postakwoo, on 2014-December-24, 23:19, said:

If it's a regular partner, you need to sit down and discuss this one. Either you agree that (a) West doesn't have a takeout double, or you agree that (b) East is only worth 3 invitational (keeping in mind that the Q is worthless).

I think (a) is better against intermediate 2's and (b) is better against weak 2's, but any agreement is better than no agreement.

I'm confused, your earlier post said you would double here without thinking about it but now you appear to be saying you think it is better to have an agreement not to double with this hand. Or I've misunderstood your post.

I will be discussing this with my partner.
(still learning)

#14 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-25, 00:22

Deleted: misread previous post(s).

#15 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-25, 00:27

View Postjillybean, on 2014-December-25, 00:09, said:

I'm confused, your earlier post said you would double here without thinking about it but now you appear to be saying you think it is better to have an agreement not to double with this hand. Or I've misunderstood your post.

I will be discussing this with my partner.

Sorry - I typed the wrong thing.

I think you should agree that East is only worth 3 when opponents are playing an intermediate 2.

I think you should agree that West is not worth a takeout double when opponents are playing a weak 2.

I won't correct my earlier post since that would be even more confusing.

#16 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2014-December-25, 00:52

Thank you :)
(still learning)

#17 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-December-25, 03:45

You might try "Lebensohl after a weak 2", in which case pard can bid 3 (forcing). What doubler would bid then is another story lol.

#18 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2014-December-25, 03:48

View Postwhereagles, on 2014-December-25, 03:45, said:

You might try "Lebensohl after a weak 2", in which case pard can bid 3 (forcing). What doubler would bid then is another story lol.

This isn't a weak 2.
(still learning)

#19 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-December-25, 03:52

I mean use the same convention you'd use if 2 were weak.

Not that it would solve you this particular problem, lol. It might get you off the moysian though.

#20 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-25, 07:00

your partner's 4 spade bid is pretty bad. he only has 4 spades. one would think he might find some room between 2d and 4s to explore some other contracts, but it's unrealistic to except him to stop out of game (the Q of D is in no way 'wasted')

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users