BBO Discussion Forums: 5-level decision - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5-level decision

Poll: 5-level decision (19 member(s) have cast votes)

Bid?

1. pass (4 votes [21.05%])

Percentage of vote: 21.05%

2. dbl (6 votes [31.58%])

Percentage of vote: 31.58%

3. 5H (9 votes [47.37%])

Percentage of vote: 47.37%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-December-24, 11:05

View Postcherdano, on 2014-December-24, 10:52, said:

Wow I have never disagreed with as much with a post by Justin. Why misdescribe your hand in second seat, with both majors? I guess I am old-fashioned in second seat - two flaws (bad suit, very playable in the other minor) => no preempt from me.

"Bad suit" is relative, I have 7 of them. I view my suit as much better than QJT9xx which surely is a fine suit for a preempt? If we are going to play in hearts having 7 is obviously a big plus vs having almost any 6 card suit. If we are going to get doubled at least there is some safety in being 7-4, I mean I'd rather have KQJT98 if I'm in 2H X but nothings perfect lol. I also don't view my hand as very playable in spades, with 7-4 I am unlikely to want to play in spades unless partner has lots of them and few hearts in which case we can still often find spades. I also don't view it as misdescribing my hand, I have a weak hand with hearts. The auction is unlikely to time out well for me if I pass. I guess you view the risk of missing spades as much greater than I do, I rarely preempt with 6-4 in the majors (only with extremely good 6) but with 7-4 I don't think it's such a big deal, most of the time I will want to be in my 7 card suit even when it's bad.

Do you just view opening 2H on a 7 card suit as a misdescription or flaw? Because probably most of those suits are "bad suits" else you would open 3 (or you are just 7222 or w/e). I personally don't find it to be a flaw but I guess that's where knowing your partnership style is important. It seems ludicrous to me to say you're a sound preemptor and open 2H on Qxxx Kxxxxx and makes it impossible for your partner to judge in these situations.
The artist formerly known as jlall

#22 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-24, 11:18

Phantom Sac sums it up well, assume that partner is a good player. I am glad that I read the comments of the doublers before eating my Christmas dinner rather than after.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#23 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-December-24, 12:21

It is really funny when whereagles calls other people bean counters
Videos of the worst bridge player ever playing bridge:
https://www.youtube....hungPlaysBridge

#24 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-24, 17:34

View Postlamford, on 2014-December-24, 11:18, said:

Phantom Sac sums it up well, assume that partner is a good player. I am glad that I read the comments of the doublers before eating my Christmas dinner rather than after.

I am also glad that I read all those posters before my xmass dinner, who were silent until after endorsed by Justin.Posted Image
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#25 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-24, 17:43

I think you mean 'endorsed by kuhchung'.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#26 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-December-24, 19:00

View Postwhereagles, on 2014-December-22, 04:33, said:

Matchpoints, adv pard
Bid? Pard weak 2 style is usually sound.
IMO at MPs, Pass = 10, 5 = 9, Double = 7. 5 is quite likely to make. Partner probably has 7 and 5 might be a reasonable sacrifice. If opponents have a fit, however, then pass should achieve a reasonable score.

#27 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-December-25, 03:27

View Postlamford, on 2014-December-24, 11:18, said:

Phantom Sac sums it up well, assume that partner is a good player.

I can be more concise: "a lousy 7 card suit is as good as a fair 6 card one", ha!

#28 User is offline   whereagles 

Posted 2014-December-25, 03:34

View Postnige1, on 2014-December-24, 19:00, said:

If opponents have a fit, however, then pass should achieve a reasonable score.

That we will never know, since they don't have a spade fit. Only two tables (out of 30 or so) found the 5 contract. Dbl or no dbl you'd score 4%. (The other table made a doubled overtrick lol.) Bidding the 5 sac would net ~8% if doubled, ~25% if not.

You are well and truly fixed on this one!!

#29 User is offline   kgr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-25, 03:58

View Postkuhchung, on 2014-December-23, 14:05, said:

5H, but i am the worst bridge player ever
First I thought agreeing with this (where 'I' is me and not him;) )...

View PostPhantomSac, on 2014-December-23, 15:07, said:

This: Pard weak 2 style is usually sound.

+

This: Why is no one bidding spades?

+

This: i always have 7 if i've opened such a bad suit 2nd r/r

Make bidding 5H pretty clear. Partner is very likely 47xx and if it's 4702 that could well be a double game swing. Either way we will very likely make 5H and may or may not beat them.

If partner does somehow have 3 spades and they have 8 spades he still has 7 hearts in which case we are probably down 1 and we very well might not beat them. I would still take my chances and bid 5H. I do not think partner having 6 hearts is possible, I think a hand like x Kxxxxx xx KQxx is a reasonable 2H opener but our hand and their failure to bid spades makes that impossible. The same hand type with 4 good spades and 6 bad hearts is not a 2H opener. Qxxx K987xxx --- xx is a perfectly fine 2H opener to me, passing is pretty lame and 3H is way too much.
...Then I read this, so maybe the first quote is not completely true

#30 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-25, 17:00

View PostPhantomSac, on 2014-December-24, 11:05, said:

"Bad suit" is relative, I have 7 of them. I view my suit as much better than QJT9xx which surely is a fine suit for a preempt? If we are going to play in hearts having 7 is obviously a big plus vs having almost any 6 card suit. If we are going to get doubled at least there is some safety in being 7-4, I mean I'd rather have KQJT98 if I'm in 2H X but nothings perfect lol. I also don't view my hand as very playable in spades, with 7-4 I am unlikely to want to play in spades unless partner has lots of them and few hearts in which case we can still often find spades. I also don't view it as misdescribing my hand, I have a weak hand with hearts. The auction is unlikely to time out well for me if I pass. I guess you view the risk of missing spades as much greater than I do, I rarely preempt with 6-4 in the majors (only with extremely good 6) but with 7-4 I don't think it's such a big deal, most of the time I will want to be in my 7 card suit even when it's bad.

Do you just view opening 2H on a 7 card suit as a misdescription or flaw? Because probably most of those suits are "bad suits" else you would open 3 (or you are just 7222 or w/e). I personally don't find it to be a flaw but I guess that's where knowing your partnership style is important. It seems ludicrous to me to say you're a sound preemptor and open 2H on Qxxx Kxxxxx and makes it impossible for your partner to judge in these situations.

I don't think the suit is "bad" enough - I think it's just a different hand than a hand containing a good 6-card suit. My thinking is that partner has no chance to judge how high to compete, or even how high to bid constructively - our hand is very different from a normal weak two, and depending on partner's hand it will be much stronger or much weaker than partner expects; meanwhile, there is really no need to preempt in second seat when we have both majors.

Of course, you might say we will never be able get such decisions right after passing either, and maybe that's the strongest case for bidding 2. I guess I am not that pessimistic about pass.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#31 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-25, 20:04

All 4 players made ludicrous actions in this one hand. South didn't open a weak 2 (assuming (s)he could), West opened on crap, North made a takeout double on a 5-0-(5-3) hand, and East is a bean counter, not a trick counter and unable to diagnose fits properly.

I disagree slightly on people opening 2 on a 7-4 hand, I would enter at the 3-level, because a 7-card fit alone would be an upgrade for me, let alone a 'concentrated' 7-4.
"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#32 User is offline   whereagles 

Posted 2014-December-26, 03:40

when in doubt,
bean-count

#33 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:student of the game

Posted 2014-December-26, 13:56

So what's the lesson?
If you preempt a crappy hand, you better find the killing lead?

#34 User is offline   whereagles 

Posted 2014-December-26, 14:58

I woudl say it's more like.. if pard preempts on a junk suit, expect extra shape. Well, a reasonable pard at least... lol.

#35 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:student of the game

Posted 2014-December-26, 16:18

The agreement shouldn't be sound. It should be rational depending on hand's suit pattern.
6322 would be sound.

The more skewed the pattern, the less HCPs promised.

#36 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-26, 16:28

Am I the only one to whom 'sound' should mean 'good suit' rather than 'random scattering of 9HCP'?

#37 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-26, 16:47

View PostJinksy, on 2014-December-26, 16:28, said:

Am I the only one to whom 'sound' should mean 'good suit and/or shape' rather than 'random scattering of 9HCP'?

no
Videos of the worst bridge player ever playing bridge:
https://www.youtube....hungPlaysBridge

#38 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-26, 17:52

I dunno, I agree with Justin that 'good suit' can mean a 7th, but I would not dream of a 2nd in vul 2H bid on the W hand. Dist like that doesn't stop you from getting smashed if the opps have your suit (and gives you more defence against 4S, though I wouldn't bid it with 4m instead, either).

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users