BBO Discussion Forums: Standard Lebensohl with t/o doubles - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Standard Lebensohl with t/o doubles

#1 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2014-December-11, 22:14

Your partner opens a strong 1NT and your RHO overcalls a natural 2 (yeah, I know, noone plays 2 as natural but indulge me for a moment). Naturally, you play double as takeout because that is what one does nowadays. Also, you play standard Lebensohl because partner is already using all his memory trying to remember the complicated T-Walsh system you gave him.

So, generally speaking, 2NT then 3NT would be to play and showing a stopper, while a direct 3NT would be to play but without a stopper. 2NT then 3 is Stayman and "by the way partner, I have a stopper, don't worry", so a direct 3 is... Stayman without a stopper? Hold on, why are you not doubling on that hand?

OK, maybe you would double with 3-4 in the minors and it's nice to show you definitely have 4-4. What about 1NT-(2)-3 then? Surely you would always double with 4 spades and no stopper?

How do you use the cuebid when playing t/o doubles?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#2 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-December-12, 00:41

I use the analogous Rubensohl bid (transfer to their suit) as showing a t/o hand with real shortage.

This means that an actual t/o double usually promises a doubleton in their suit (at least).

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-December-12, 15:24

View Postmgoetze, on 2014-December-11, 22:14, said:

so a direct 3 is... Stayman without a stopper? Hold on, why are you not doubling on that hand?

Isn't that because standard Lebensohl doesn't include takeout doubles? It allows responder to make a penalty double, so he uses the cue bid as the takeout.

But you could also use the cue bid as a game force -- the takeout double allows you to stop on the 2 level, so it can be done with weaker hands. You might also use the cue bid with a hand holding a void in overcaller's suit, to prevent opener from leaving the double in.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users