• You cannot reply to this topic

Do you agree with the ruling?

#1 User is offline   grishav 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-November-06, 06:32

A club game.
IMP scoring.
NS are average players and play together rarely.
EW are well-established partnership who won the tourney eventually.

After hearing his partner's alert and explanation, S said that he needs to talk to director, came from the table and told TD that he doesn't play transfers over X. Of course, it was absolutely clear to all players that he doesn't have .
TD came to the table and informed N that all of his partner's actions are UI to him and he must continue to bid according to his own explanation.
Table result: 2S -2, -200.
After the board W called the director and argued that S must assume that his partner has some strong GF hand with spades and bid 3!s accordingly, so the result should be adjusted to 3X or 4X. TD reasoned that S had enough AI to judge that pass is correct action with his 3 HCP.

How do you rule?

This post has been edited by barmar: 2014-November-06, 09:46
Reason for edit: Fix suit symbols - forum doesn't use !S

#2 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-November-06, 07:18

Pass is normal and even if 3s is a LA it is not clear if pass is suggested by the UI. So result stands.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-06, 07:24

View Postgrishav, on 2014-November-06, 06:32, said:

After the board W called the director and argued that S must assume that his partner has some strong GF hand with spades and bid 3!s accordingly, so the result should be adjusted to 3!SX or 4!SX.

Doubling a NT then bidding a new suit doesn't show a GF.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#4 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-06, 07:29

View Posthelene_t, on 2014-November-06, 07:18, said:

Pass is normal and even if 3s is a LA it is not clear if pass is suggested by the UI. So result stands.

Of course pass is suggested -- it doesn't make sense, with the UI, to bid on. After all, you don't have the spades partner thinks you have! So if 3 is a LA then it must be chosen. I am torn on whether it is a LA though. I don't think so, even with 3-card support. The hand is otherwise barren.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#5 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2014-November-06, 07:32

For this class of player I think bidding on makes a lot of sense, given the UI. I see it happening all the time: One p makes a weak takeout, partner accepts the transfer, the first player repeats his suit, second player gets the message and passes.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#6 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-06, 08:28

I agree with gordontd and vampyr. The AI is that North has a good hand with spades, but South has a bad hand. If North wanted to be in game opposite this dross, he would have bid 3S not 2S. North might have bid 3S anyway but he has no UI, so you can't make him do that. I would 'force' South to raise 3S to 4S.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#7 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2014-November-06, 08:31

[After the board W called the director and argued that S must assume that his partner has some strong GF hand with spades and bid 3!s accordingly…
How do you rule?

I rule that this argument is nonsense. Result stands.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#8 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-06, 09:45

View Postblackshoe, on 2014-November-06, 08:31, said:

I rule that this argument is nonsense. Result stands.

Double that. If e/w appealed I'm keeping the deposit in about 10 seconds.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#9 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-November-06, 10:17

Table result: 2S -2, -200.
This is not consistent with NS being non-vul.

#10 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-November-06, 10:19

A club game.IMP scoring. NS are average players and play together rarely. EW are well-established partnership who won the tourney eventually. After hearing his partner's alert and explanation, S said that he needs to talk to director, came from the table and told TD that he doesn't play transfers over X. Of course, it was absolutely clear to all players that he doesn't have . TD came to the table and informed N that all of his partner's actions are UI to him and he must continue to bid according to his own explanation.Table result: 2S -2, -200. After the board W called the director and argued that S must assume that his partner has some strong GF hand with spades and bid 3 accordingly, so the result should be adjusted to 3X or 4X. TD reasoned that S had enough AI to judge that pass is correct action with his 3 HCP. How do you rule?
EW might have been victims of what Bobby Wolff calls "Convention Disruption" but the law provides no redress. Partnerships gain from forgetting agreements surprisingly often, but the law treats such successes as rub of the green. Here, however, EW cannot complain much because they gained from NS's confusion - 2 is only one down. And South seems to have no LA to passing 2.

#11 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-November-06, 10:23

View Posthelene_t, on 2014-November-06, 07:32, said:

For this class of player I think bidding on makes a lot of sense, given the UI. I see it happening all the time: One p makes a weak takeout, partner accepts the transfer, the first player repeats his suit, second player gets the message and passes.

Yes, I meant bidding on in spades. Of course the UI suggests bidding hearts over passing, but I didn't think bidding hearts was included in the discussion.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#12 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2014-November-06, 10:37

You are right, the choice is between pass and 3s. My bad

#13 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-06, 11:08

View Postnige1, on 2014-November-06, 10:19, said:

EW might have been victims of what Bobby Wolff calls "Convention Disruption" but the law provides no redress. Partnerships sometimes gain from forgetting agreements surprisingly often, but the law treats such successes as rub of the green. Here, however, EW cannot complain much because they gained from NS's confusion - 2 is only one down. And South seems to have no LA to passing 2.

FYP
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#14 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-November-06, 11:15

If East's first pass specifically says he has either a strong hand or a weak 2-suiter, does his second pass clarify?

#15 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-November-06, 13:10

View PostBbradley62, on 2014-November-06, 11:15, said:

If East's first pass specifically says he has either a strong hand or a weak 2-suiter, does his second pass clarify?

I would say yes; but, it certainly doesn't clarify his holding in this case. A double of 2S would seem about right, here. Better question: was East's second pass a double shot? If so, he didn't succeed with the BBF gang.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#16 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2014-November-06, 17:43

Gordon: 'surprisingly often' means either 'more than 0%' or 'against me'. I'm sure you know that already, though.

In general: I had this exact situation, and a hand very similar to this (but with QJxxx and a minor jack) bid 3 which we, of course, took away when it went -1 given the UI instead of passing 2 with three card support, -3 on the hand. I didn't even dream of forcing them to raise with that dreck.

The hand I came up with was the one that got +400 against me into 1NT-X-XX (to play)-AP; AKQJxxx and out. Opposite that hand, which is a totally reasonable penalty double of 1NT, neither the hand in my game nor this one has any interest in going to game. Even opposite AKQJxx and another card or two, it has no interest in going to game. Of course, the opponents at my table said "our doubles show a strong NT. We'd never double for penalty with that hand." (you know, the one where 1NT goes down?)

"*Your* system may say that double-and-new-suit if pulled is a GF; it is not required that everyone play your system." I might just add "What do you do with 7-solid spades and a card after 1NT if you can't penalty double white on red - or do you sit for 2 of partner's suit when he pulls it?"

Give South 7, 8 or so high, and I'll mandate the raise. But sometimes, you just can't make game after the opponents show strength.

Frankly, E-W just know that their +100 on this lie of the cards scores badly against the +120 the field are likely to make, or the +1160 they might have got if South had passed (twice), and they guessed wrong on what to do with 2, and now want the good score they're entitled to after confusing the opponents into a system mistake.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#17 User is offline   sanst 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-November-07, 07:27

he

NS are average players and play together rarely.
After hearing his partner's alert and explanation, S said that he needs to talk to director, came from the table and told TD that he doesn't play transfers over X.

To me, it's obvious that NS don't have an agreement over this situation, so there is a misexplanation. Are EW damaged with "only" +200? I don't think so. But if you want to make sure, you have to organise a poll and not start speculating about possible LA's.
Joost

#18 User is offline   VixTD 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-07, 08:03

View Postmycroft, on 2014-November-06, 17:43, said:

Gordon: 'surprisingly often' means either 'more than 0%' or 'against me'. I'm sure you know that already, though.

"*Your* system may say that double-and-new-suit if pulled is a GF; it is not required that everyone play your system." I might just add "What do you do with 7-solid spades and a card after 1NT if you can't penalty double white on red - or do you sit for 2 of partner's suit when he pulls it?"

It's not clear to me to whom your later comments are addressed. It's presumably not still to Gordon, as he said that a double of 1NT followed by a suit bid does not establish a game force.

#19 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2014-November-07, 09:07

It seems to me that "double and pull implies a hand too strong to overcall" applies to situations where the double is takeout, not those where it's penalty. A penalty double of 1NT implies a hand with a long suit, or a balanced hand at least as strong as the opener's. So logically when they run, a suit bid shows the long suit, a NT bid shows the balanced hand, and a double is penalty. Bidding should not be game forcing - how can it be? If you think you can make a game with no help from partner after 1NT on your right would you not just bid it? Okay, perhaps you might start with a penalty double, if you think that would be worth more than your game, but you'd still just bid the game, or double, if they run. Or so it seems to me, anyway.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#20 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-November-07, 10:07

View Postblackshoe, on 2014-November-07, 09:07, said:

It seems to me that "double and pull implies a hand too strong to overcall" applies to situations where the double is takeout, not those where it's penalty. A penalty double of 1NT implies a hand with a long suit, or a balanced hand at least as strong as the opener's. So logically when they run, a suit bid shows the long suit, a NT bid shows the balanced hand, and a double is penalty. Bidding should not be game forcing - how can it be? If you think you can make a game with no help from partner after 1NT on your right would you not just bid it? Okay, perhaps you might start with a penalty double, if you think that would be worth more than your game, but you'd still just bid the game, or double, if they run. Or so it seems to me, anyway.

Even if you know you want to be in game, you may not know what strain. You'd need a self-sufficient suit to "just bid the game".

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users