BBO Discussion Forums: I just do not understand this - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

I just do not understand this How is this possible?

#1 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2015-April-28, 05:42

Someone is going to have to explain to me GIB's failure to raise on this auction:

http://tinyurl.com/kbpw886

#2 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-28, 06:42

Ouch.

I think that you were a little unlucky. Give South something like
S:Axxx
H:Ax
D:J
C:QJxxxx

and 3NT is a better contract than 4S. Granted that 3S would possibly be something of an overbid with that hand, but I have not really thought hard about constructing a better example.

Congrats to GIB for the defence. A few versions back and it would not even lead a Diamond.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#3 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2015-April-28, 06:48

View Post1eyedjack, on 2015-April-28, 06:42, said:

Granted that 3S would possibly be something of an overbid with that hand,

ArtK73 has 19 support pts with solid spades not an overbid. If anything it is an underbid

Sarcasm is a state of mind

#4 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2015-April-28, 06:50

View Poststeve2005, on 2015-April-28, 06:48, said:

ArtK73 has 19 support pts with solid spades not an overbid. If anything it is an underbid
You misread my post. I was suggesting that 3S might be considered an overbid holding the alternative South which I hypothesised that North might be simulating, and on which 3N is a superior spot.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,

#5 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2015-April-28, 11:00

View Poststeve2005, on 2015-April-28, 06:48, said:

Your example is 2 bid. I think opener should bid 4 not 3 and if Gib doesnt have 4 tough it shouldn't be doing neg double on xxx or Jxx,
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#6 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2015-April-28, 11:06

View Poststeve2005, on 2015-April-28, 11:00, said:

Your example is 2 bid.
Indeed. As I acknowledged at the time. That is broadly what is meant by saying that 3S is "something of an overbid". I was being lazy. Modifying it to make it more suitable for 3S is I think pretty trivial.

#7 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-28, 11:12

It seems neither the North bot nor the East bot is programmed to raise partner's suit.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#8 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2015-April-28, 21:55

View Post1eyedjack, on 2015-April-28, 06:42, said:

Congrats to GIB for the defence. A few versions back and it would not even lead a Diamond.

I don't think there has been any deliberate modification in GIB's leads in the past few versions.

#9 User is offline   lycier 

Posted 2015-April-29, 01:32

I'd find that Gib is becoming more and more smart,for north Gib,bidding 3nt with 4432 balanced shape still shows its choice of keeping the balance.

If opener hold 4333- flat shape,as a choice of game,3nt is better than 4 for sure.
I have to say this is a great progress,congratulations to bbo.

#10 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2015-April-29, 01:44

View Postlycier, on 2015-April-29, 01:32, said:

I'd find that Gib is becoming more and more smart,for north Gib,bidding 3nt with 4432 balanced shape still shows its choice of keeping the balance.

If opener hold 4333- flat shape,as a choice of game,3nt is better than 4 for sure.
I have to say this is a great progress,congratulations to bbo.

The problem I see with this alleged logic is that it doesn't give a choice of games because Opener doesn't know about the choice; Responder hasn't shown four Spades. Gib is just making stuff up; some call it masterminding. It isn't hand-hogging because the human victim has to play it anyway.

#11 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2015-April-29, 02:41

There comes a point where you are forced into a masterminding corner. He could conceal the Spade support (having already promised 3, mind), or he could show the spade support and in the process conceal the fact that his support comprises 4 vomit along with 4333 shape and 1.5 guards in the opponent's suit. Either decision might be accused of masterminding - when it fails.

I think there is a case for North bidding 2N rather than X on the previous round. I think that there is a case for X promising 4-4 in the majors. And I think that there is a case for the auction exactly as it happened.

#12 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2015-April-29, 03:06

Yes, but Double did not promise 4-4 in the majors. Your point about not doubling at all has meaning here; if the critter didn't want to find a 4-4 spade fit, why did it bother?

#13 User is offline   lycier 

Posted 2015-April-29, 04:22

View Postaguahombre, on 2015-April-29, 01:44, said:

The problem I see with this alleged logic is that it doesn't give a choice of games because Opener doesn't know about the choice; Responder hasn't shown four Spades. Gib is just making stuff up; some call it masterminding. It isn't hand-hogging because the human victim has to play it anyway.

It is reasonable for what you said.For me,3nt is a acceptable choice of game.
For example: if opener holding 4333 shape,opponents silent,it goes:
1 - 1 - 1
Does 1 show balance or unbalance?the current system can't show it.This is a weakness.
We should know opener should bid 1nt showing balanced hand if play walsh.
I have found that Gib of 33 version have made many beneficial attempts on both of balance and choice of games,hoping that Gib continues to have some tries towards this respect.
Good job,Gib !

#14 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2015-April-29, 05:19

View Postaguahombre, on 2015-April-29, 03:06, said:

Yes, but Double did not promise 4-4 in the majors. Your point about not doubling at all has meaning here; if the critter didn't want to find a 4-4 spade fit, why did it bother?
I suppose that there is an outside chance that opener may wish to convert the double? Clutching at straws.

#15 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-29, 14:08

View Post1eyedjack, on 2015-April-29, 02:41, said:

There comes a point where you are forced into a masterminding corner. He could conceal the Spade support (having already promised 3, mind), or he could show the spade support and in the process conceal the fact that his support comprises 4 vomit along with 4333 shape and 1.5 guards in the opponent's suit. Either decision might be accused of masterminding - when it fails.

I think there is a case for North bidding 2N rather than X on the previous round. I think that there is a case for X promising 4-4 in the majors. And I think that there is a case for the auction exactly as it happened.

You are correct that GIB currently promises at least 3 in both majors in this auction. But this is not good bridge. The negative double can be short in one major IF it also contains good support for opener's Club suit. The same is true after a 1D opening and 2C overcall with D support.

#16 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2015-April-30, 23:46

Purely of academic interest, really, but compare and contrast GIB's excellent technique in the Diamond suit in the hand at the head of this thread, with its inept performance with the Heart suit here:

OK, South had to misplay at trick 2 to give them a chance. Arguably the play of C:J at trick 1 by East was a misplay, costly (ie if South plays on Diamonds at trick 2) but perhaps forgivable.

And here, same hand, but misplay was at trick 1

This was an Instant (MP) tourney, so probably an earlier version of GIB.

West's decision not to lead a low Heart at trick 1 at these tables didn't make the defence any easier, despite that they could have recovered. I wouldn't expect many humans to lead a Club.

At my table I stopped in 3D after the same start, which did not score well despite making on the nose, because so many were making 3N.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users