• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Substitutes Pard disconnected, not allowed back

#1 User is offline   lordc 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Scrabble, most sports

Posted 2014-July-05, 22:24

My partner had a power outage and lost her connection. We were in the middle of a VERY good game on Bridge Addicts, but she was not allowed back in when she regained connection. I think this is grossly unfair. If a sub can be brought in, why can't the original player be brought back? Needing permission from the sub to allow original player back is RIDICULOUS! Comments?

#2 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-July-06, 17:39

If you don't like the way Bridge Addicts run their tournaments, you should tell them... If they say are going to continue doing things in a way that you don't like, you can stop playing in their tournaments. Neither BBO nor folks on this forum have any control over Bridge Addicts.

PS: Their rules are clearly stated on their website ( http://www.bridge-ad....com/?page_id=4 ) and it is not unusual to give subs the choice of staying, so they do not hang around all tournament, then get subbed in and only play one hand.

#3 User is offline   lordc 

• PipPip

Posted 2014-July-17, 15:39

View PostBbradley62, on 2014-July-06, 17:39, said:

If you don't like the way Bridge Addicts run their tournaments, you should tell them... If they say are going to continue doing things in a way that you don't like, you can stop playing in their tournaments. Neither BBO nor folks on this forum have any control over Bridge Addicts.

PS: Their rules are clearly stated on their website ( http://www.bridge-ad....com/?page_id=4 ) and it is not unusual to give subs the choice of staying, so they do not hang around all tournament, then get subbed in and only play one hand.

=========================================================================================================

It seems to me they (NOT just Bridge Addicts!) are ALWAYS crying for substitutes, so when pard returns after being disconnected, PARD should be re-seated, allowing the sub to be seated elsewhere, as there should be multiple openings, "so they do not hang around all tournament, then get subbed in and only play one hand". After all, they are signed on as SUBSTITUTES, NOT REGISTERED PARTICIPANTS!

It would be very unusual for a sub not to have an opening. The registered player should have priority, NOT the sub. Only after a full round, or the major portion thereof, should the current rules be implemented.

#4 User is offline   lordc 

• PipPip

Posted 2014-July-17, 22:02

View Postlordc, on 2014-July-17, 15:39, said:

=========================================================================================================

It seems to me they (NOT just Bridge Addicts!) are ALWAYS crying for substitutes, so when pard returns after being disconnected, PARD should be re-seated, allowing the sub to be seated elsewhere, as there should be multiple openings, "so they do not hang around all tournament, then get subbed in and only play one hand". After all, they are signed on as SUBSTITUTES, NOT REGISTERED PARTICIPANTS!

It would be very unusual for a sub not to have an opening. The registered player should have priority, NOT the sub. Only after a full round, or the major portion thereof, should the current rules be implemented.

Tried to get to IBAA site, registered, didn't get password email.

#5 User is offline   scarletv 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-July-18, 15:25

I do understand that players like to continue the tourney with the partner they started but what do you think makes subs willing to play in a tourney? Do you think they want to come in the middle of a board to play a couple of cards before they are kicked out again? Everyone who is running tourneys on BBO is happy to have subs available and we must be grateful that they are helping. Without them no tourney could be run until the end. It is a question of politeness to treat them with respect. So when it is too awful for you to thank the sub and ask him if he minds to be replaced by the original player for your personal comfort why do you think anyone else should do that for you?

#6 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-July-19, 02:24

What makes subs willing to be subs at all? If they really wanted to play the whole tourney, why don't they register for real?

When you sign up as a sub, you shouldn't have any expectation of playing any boards at all. You're doing the tourney organizer a favor, keeping the game running while a player has gotten disconnected.

#7 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-19, 03:03

View Postbarmar, on 2014-July-19, 02:24, said:

What makes subs willing to be subs at all? If they really wanted to play the whole tourney, why don't they register for real?

Sometimes they do it because they haven't got a partner, or because they were a little late to register for the tourney.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#8 User is offline   lordc 

• PipPip

Posted 2014-July-19, 21:53

"Do you think they want to come in the middle of a board to play a couple of cards before they are kicked out again?" When they signed on as a SUB they should be aware of this possibility.

#9 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-20, 08:01

IMO this is just a matter of courtesy. Yes, subs expect to be kicked out at some point, but why not be nice when removing them? Free tourney hosts are volunteers, they usually run large tournaments, and don't have too much time to go chat to each sub, thank them, then ask them if it's OK to sub them out, then reseat original players. I don't think you realize just how much work it is to run a big free tourney on BBO. Nothing wrong with the TD asking YOU - the party directly interested in this process - to get sub's permission before bringing your pd back. You'll see that most subs agree, and don't mind leaving when they are asked nicely.

Also, this is a fortunate scenario. Some hosts NEVER reseat original players, even if you would get the sub's permission, they just don't bother to go look up who was sitting where and click the reseat player button.

#10 User is offline   lordc 

• PipPip

Posted 2014-July-20, 09:56

View Postdiana_eva, on 2014-July-20, 08:01, said:

IMO this is just a matter of courtesy. Yes, subs expect to be kicked out at some point, but why not be nice when removing them? Free tourney hosts are volunteers, they usually run large tournaments, and don't have too much time to go chat to each sub, thank them, then ask them if it's OK to sub them out, then reseat original players. I don't think you realize just how much work it is to run a big free tourney on BBO. Nothing wrong with the TD asking YOU - the party directly interested in this process - to get sub's permission before bringing your pd back. You'll see that most subs agree, and don't mind leaving when they are asked nicely.

Also, this is a fortunate scenario. Some hosts NEVER reseat original players, even if you would get the sub's permission, they just don't bother to go look up who was sitting where and click the reseat player button.

" Yes, subs expect to be kicked out at some point, but why not be nice when removing them?"

Who said anything about not being courteous? I would have no objection to asking sub to please allow my original pard to reseat, although I feel this 'permission' is unwarranted. I would insist that TD comply if sub grants such permission.

Perhaps extending the round by a minute or 2 would allow for this eventuality. When we finish a game, invariably there are many tables still in play, so that time extension would have little or no effect. I have waited as much as 20 minutes for results to show because there are so many lagging tables.

#11 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-20, 11:17

View Postlordc, on 2014-July-20, 09:56, said:

" Yes, subs expect to be kicked out at some point, but why not be nice when removing them?"

Who said anything about not being courteous? I would have no objection to asking sub to please allow my original pard to reseat, although I feel this 'permission' is unwarranted. I would insist that TD comply if sub grants such permission.

Perhaps extending the round by a minute or 2 would allow for this eventuality. When we finish a game, invariably there are many tables still in play, so that time extension would have little or no effect. I have waited as much as 20 minutes for results to show because there are so many lagging tables.

OK maybe I misunderstood your original post then. You said "Needing permission from the sub to allow original player back is RIDICULOUS! "

I don't know what happened next. Did you ask the sub to give seat back to your pd and sub refused to leave?

#12 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-July-20, 12:54

View Postlordc, on 2014-July-19, 21:53, said:

"Do you think they want to come in the middle of a board to play a couple of cards before they are kicked out again?" When they signed on as a SUB they should be aware of this possibility.

That depends on the rules of the tournament. In many cases, including the tournament for which you registered, the rules stipulate that the sub is allowed to stay, so it is the original players who must be aware of that possibility.

#13 User is offline   Gerardo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-20, 14:36

I see no issue with a "original player must seek sub permission to be seated back" policy.

It is up to tournament organizers to set these policies. And then, follow them consistently.

#14 User is offline   lordc 

• PipPip

Posted 2014-July-20, 20:09

Correction PARTNER of original player must seek permission, since original player cannot chat to sub. BTW nowhere do I see any such rule, except when this situation occurs and TD 'quotes' it. It says 'Rules Posted' (or words to that effect), but they are nowhere to be seen.

#15 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-July-20, 22:26

In order to be eligible to play in Bridge Addicts tournaments, you first had to go to their website and register as a member of their club. Their website very clearly spells out the rules of their tournaments. See the link in my post #2 above. You are expected to read them before you participate.

Or, step-by-step:
  • Go to bridge-addicts.com
  • Directly under the title and picture is a list of several menu options. Choose RULES
  • 12 rules are listed. You should read them all, but Rule 10 is the one we are discussing.

#16 User is offline   lordc 

• PipPip

Posted 2014-July-29, 16:10

View PostBbradley62, on 2014-July-20, 22:26, said:

In order to be eligible to play in Bridge Addicts tournaments, you first had to go to their website and register as a member of their club. Their website very clearly spells out the rules of their tournaments. See the link in my post #2 above. You are expected to read them before you participate.

Or, step-by-step:
  • Go to bridge-addicts.com
  • Directly under the title and picture is a list of several menu options. Choose RULES
  • 12 rules are listed. You should read them all, but Rule 10 is the one we are discussing.

Then is it the RULE that needs to be changed, at least such that the TD MUST allow original player back in if the sub agrees, a part of this rule that, I maintain, makes no sense at all.

When I register for a full tournament, I expect to play the entire tournament. If I get disconnected, I expect to be placed back with my original partner when connection is re-established.

#17 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-30, 01:32

View Postlordc, on 2014-July-29, 16:10, said:

If I get disconnected, I expect to be placed back with my original partner when connection is re-established.

If you play in games where this is not what happens, you will be disappointed. Better to manage your expectations.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#18 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-July-30, 06:52

View Postlordc, on 2014-July-29, 16:10, said:

Then is it the RULE that needs to be changed,...

Folks who run tournaments on BBO can set their own rules, so I refer you back to the first sentence I posted above:

View PostBbradley62, on 2014-July-06, 17:39, said:

If you don't like the way Bridge Addicts run their tournaments, you should tell them...
BBO does not tell Bridge Addicts what their rules should be.

#19 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-30, 15:17

View PostBbradley62, on 2014-July-30, 06:52, said:

Exactly. Consider us to be like the landlord that owns the property where a bridge club operates. You wouldn't expect them to set the club's rules, would you? We're just providing the online space.

We do operate our own tournaments, the ACBL pair and individual tourneys. These operate according to BBO's rules, and they are that if you return you get your seat back, I think it happens automatically when the current hand finishes.

#20 User is offline   lordc 

• PipPip

Posted 2014-July-30, 15:35

View PostBbradley62, on 2014-July-30, 06:52, said:

Folks who run tournaments on BBO can set their own rules, so I refer you back to the first sentence I posted above:

I have attempted on more than one occasion to log on to IBAA with no success. How can I tell them what I feel if I can't reach them?

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users