• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Attitude Leads

#1 User is offline   sheilafran 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-October-04, 02:50

Hi

I was kibitzing Bennito Garozzo (Sillafu) yesterday and he requested his partner to play "attitude leads". Please could someone explain exactly what this means.

#2 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-October-04, 03:19

It means that the lower the card, the better the suit and the more you want it led back.

So you might lead 2 from KJ732 but 7 from J9732. Well, partners will have their own criteria for what to lead from various combinations, but that is the general idea.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#3 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-04, 08:05

In general use, a low lead, while saying you want the suit led back, also denies an honour holding from which by agreement you would lead an honour.

A high lead means "I would like you to switch rather than lead this suit back for my sake, as my holdings lie elsewhere" but of course that is not a command.

A middling card means that you don't really mind at all what partner leads when he gets in. You either have scattered values in various suits, or you have nothing.

#4 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-04, 09:40

We have been using "attitude" for our opening spot leads vs. both suit and NT for a very long time, but do not adhere to "the lower the card, the more you like the suit".

Vs. NT lowest= face card(s) or Ace in the suit --- other- than-lowest denies those. This does not automatically translate into whether we want the suit returned. Rather, it is a guide for partner's choice of cards to play as third hand at trick one. Our combined length in the suit, inferred from the bidding and the cards in sight, determines whether the suit should be continued.

Vs. Suit, however, lowest is more truly "attitude" about whether we would like the suit to be continued. Thus, we prealert "Opening lead vs suit - Lowest from Honor or Doubleton."

Things change when our opening lead is in a suit shown by Partner in the auction.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users