#1 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2015-May-27, 17:26

its Matchpoints, skill level of opps is unknown

thanks

Eagles
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#2 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2015-May-27, 17:48

Gotta pass at this vulnerability I think.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#3 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-May-27, 18:02

4S
Videos of the worst bridge player ever playing bridge:
https://www.youtube....hungPlaysBridge

#4 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-27, 18:57

mgoetze, on 2015-May-27, 17:48, said:

Gotta pass at this vulnerability I think.

Dangerous, give partner a pretty nondescript KQxx, x, Axxx, Axxx and 4 and 4 may well both make.

4 for me

#5 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-27, 19:43

4 of course.
This is not like bidding a new suit. This is more like, not exactly but still, pd overcalled 1 and you are supporting him with 4 over 4. We are bidding a suit implied by pd after all.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#6 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2015-May-27, 21:15

Absolutely not 4S. Partner probably has extras and will x and I'll gladly bid 4S then.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#7 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2015-May-27, 21:19

Phil and Timo play together, so that debate will not progress here between them.

The worry is that partner might think we belong in slam with certain hands if I bid 4S; if that happens, I bet we make slam.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#8 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2015-May-27, 23:18

eagles123, on 2015-May-27, 17:26, said:

its Matchpoints, skill level of opps is unknown
IMO 4 = 10, Pass = 9. Assuming that partner is capable of appreciating your predicament.

#9 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-27, 23:33

aguahombre, on 2015-May-27, 21:19, said:

The worry is that partner might think we belong in slam with certain hands if I bid 4S; if that happens, I bet we make slam.

My bigger concern is that pd may dbl 5 and I won't produce any tricks in defense. But this is not what I promised anyway, by bidding 4. Pd knows I am bidding 4 with the knowledge of his initial DBL.

About pd reopening. He has a point but passing is also a very big gamble imo.
All I can predict as a mortal is, opponents are VERY capable of holding 18 vs 6 or 19 vs 5 20 vs 4 or similar hcp distribution between them. And these are all under the presumption of responder having not more than 6 hcp. There are also hands that responder can bid 4 with more 7-8 even 9 hcps. Posted Image

Q
KQxxxx
Jx
Jxxx

Unless you have specific agreements, or not willing to make jokes to opponents, you will bid 4 with this. But regardless of you like the constructed hand or not, my point is, it is wrong to assume that 4 bidder usually have a trash regarding hcps. He may have hcps that are trash for them and bids 4, while makes my pd very capable of lacking the enough power to double again.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#10 User is offline   alok c 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-28, 00:48

4s.If partner gets too excited with appropriate hand, it may be successful as he is covering the stronger hand.

#11 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-28, 05:11

Pass,nothing left to say.
Obviously,partner's double have alerted we have 9-catd+ fits respectively at least in and , so we are easy to know opponents have 9-card+ decent fits at least in and respectively.
For this hand,south player is unable to provide any help in defence.After south player bid 4,obviously following-up bidding should not stop,and partner might overestimate my defensive ablity.Disaster is just around the corner.
Keep silent,never let anyone know my story.

I think withholding my story is the best policy in this situation.

#12 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2015-May-28, 05:13

Cyberyeti, on 2015-May-27, 18:57, said:

Dangerous, give partner a pretty nondescript KQxx, x, Axxx, Axxx and 4 and 4 may well both make.

That's not nondescript, it's a miracle hand.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#13 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2015-May-28, 06:54

mgoetze, on 2015-May-28, 05:13, said:

That's not nondescript, it's a miracle hand.

It's a 4144 13 count which is about what you assume for a ToX of 1 (the 4243/4234 versions you still want to bid).

Less perfect examples will probably mean that one makes but not the other, but unless partner has something horrible like Kxxx, xx, Axx, KQxx and you can beat 4, or you go for 500/800 (they haven't doubled yet) you still prob want to bid.

#14 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-28, 07:09

If the megaquiz taught us anything, it was to bid over 4 with good shape and let nature take its course.

Partner won't hang us.

The danger of passing is that partner needs quite a lot to make a second double.

#15 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-28, 07:16

4 for me. With five trumps and two stiffs, I am not haggling over high card points. Who says we can't make, or that they will even double? Or maybe they will bid 5.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#16 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-28, 12:25

If the megaquiz taught me anything, it's that I'm constitutionally incapable of passing on this sort of hand, for better or worse.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#17 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-29, 11:36

4S is auto.

#18 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-29, 14:56

PASS

I see many like 4s I wonder which Jack made the difference? 65 come alive needs some restraint. We did well when we passed on our first try yet now suddenly we are acting like we are near the top of pour passed hand status. We have NO CLUE why rho bid 4h and we have NO CLUE how strong either of our opps are. If p cannot act again it is hugely unlikely we can make anything. I have some feelings for 4s bidders though--not becasue I expect them to make anything unless p has significant extras- but because there is a fair chance the opps might save in 5h un;ess they x of course:)

Is there any chance we can let poor partner look at their hand and see if further action is warranted?

#19 User is offline   KurtGodel 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-31, 09:17

I would have thought 4 is clear. Partner will be able to fill our diamond suit out a bit, and will have at least 3 cards, so I can't imagine too many losers there. Similarly partner should cover trumps a bit. AQxx x Kxx KJxxx is a hand with misfitting clubs, no heart void, no solid trumps and I would still guess that game makes enough to be worth bidding it it (K onside, A on side, and diamonds 2-2 or Axx onside failing to find the ruff).

#20 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-31, 13:01

4s. i would check my partner's pulse if he passed here. partner can't rescue us all the time, especially because he'll often have a doubleton heart.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users