BBO Discussion Forums: 2-suited overcalls - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2-suited overcalls The best of Michaels and Ghestem?

#1 User is offline   metobillc 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-September-29, 16:37

Does the following convention already have a name, and regardless, is it superior to both Michaels and Ghestem?

After the opponents open 1 of a suit:
2N = 2 lowest unbid
Q bid = 2 highest unbid
Jump overcall in minor (1-2 or or 1||-3) = that minor + highest major

Seems easier to remember than Ghestem, the minor jump always promises that suit, so it can be passed, making it more difficult for the opps, and the 2 suits are always specified, unlike in Michaels.

You have to give up the minor suit jump overcall, of course, which isn't trivial.

#2 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-September-29, 22:52

View Postmetobillc, on 2014-September-29, 16:37, said:

You have to give up the minor suit jump overcall, of course, which isn't trivial.

You also have to give up on unlimited 2-suiters where the system bid is in one of your suits.

Not saying that the method is bad, but let's get all the downsides on the table.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#3 User is offline   metobillc 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-September-30, 09:28

View Post1eyedjack, on 2014-September-29, 22:52, said:

You also have to give up on unlimited 2-suiters where the system bid is in one of your suits.

Not saying that the method is bad, but let's get all the downsides on the table.

Yes, that's a downside. So with lowest and highest, you would need to overcall the minor, then bid spades (possibly hearts) later. And if you want to play a continuous range rather than weak or strong, it's a bit worse.

#4 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-01, 09:57

I'm happy playing this - I call it questem - and if you do sometimes forget, as I did early on and make a weak jump overcall in the minor, it is not a disaster.

#5 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-02, 06:23

View PostfromageGB, on 2014-October-01, 09:57, said:

I'm happy playing this - I call it questem - and if you do sometimes forget, as I did early on and make a weak jump overcall in the minor, it is not a disaster.

Provided that partner does not give preference

I echo the sentiments, however that it seems a reasonable method.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#6 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2014-October-02, 18:54

The worst thing about Ghestem is that you are forced to the 3 level with the hand that is most important to show, both majors. So you have an obvious improvement here.

Personally I do not like giving up a jump to 3m - if partner is in love with specific 2-suiters I will instead suggest to play only 2 of them and have one unbiddable 2-suiter. After all, if you have spades and a minor, you're often better off overcalling 1 anway.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#7 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-03, 05:46

View Postmgoetze, on 2014-October-02, 18:54, said:

Personally I do not like giving up a jump to 3m - if partner is in love with specific 2-suiters I will instead suggest to play only 2 of them and have one unbiddable 2-suiter. After all, if you have spades and a minor, you're often better off overcalling 1 anway.

This is not a bad idea. While I do play the method, I seem to not use it for the extreme suits including spades, only when the extreme major is hearts, ie I use the 3 bid only over a 1 open, when you are likely to want to compete to 3 if that is the fit. It does seem foolish to cause the level to go unnecessarily to 3 over their potential 2 contract.

#8 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-04, 06:46

RHO opens in a red suit. You have a decent hand with four spades and five clubs. How do you show it?
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#9 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-04, 07:54

View Postblackshoe, on 2014-October-04, 06:46, said:

RHO opens in a red suit. You have a decent hand with four spades and five clubs. How do you show it?

(1) 1NT raptor = 4 spades + 5(+) unspecified minor
(1) X : because I play natural 1NT over a minor. If all pass apart from partner who bids hearts I bid spades and by inference show the clubs. (Edit: this has to be only 4 spades, but clubs could be longer.)

(In both cases I would bid 1 with 5xx5.)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users