BBO Discussion Forums: Blackwood for kings - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Blackwood for kings What with 4 kings?

Poll: What is your response? (13 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your response?

1. Six clubs (3 votes [23.08%])

Percentage of vote: 23.08%

2. Six notrump (5 votes [38.46%])

Percentage of vote: 38.46%

3. Other (please describe) (5 votes [38.46%])

Percentage of vote: 38.46%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   paulhar 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Challenge square dancing (besides the obvious)

Posted 2005-February-23, 11:42

You are playing in a strong rubber bridge club with strangers where most duplicate convetions are not used. Your partner asks for aces (4NT), you answer, and your partner bids 5NT. You have four kings. Your bid? (If it would be different with your regular partner AND you play standard Blackwood, let me know. Thanks.)
I tend to lead fourth best - as opposed to the best suit, the second best suit, or the third best suit for our side

#2 User is offline   HeartA 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2005-February-23, 12:47

This time you need to give more choices, something at 7 level, and more detailed desciption on bidding process. Is trump agreed or not? If yes, I would bid 7 of the agreed suit, else I would bid 7.
Senshu

#3 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2005-February-23, 13:57

Unless pard is a daisy-picker, I bid 7-something. If he likes to use conventions just for the sake of it, oblige and bid 6C, which is 0 or 4 kings. Pard should be able to tell from the rest of the auction which case it is :(

#4 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2005-February-23, 16:26

I agree with A that we need more information. Something at the 7 level is probably the best...
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#5 User is offline   pclayton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-February-24, 00:10

Rubber bridge?

And you are assuming we have all 4 aces when pard bids 5N?

Have you actually played rubber bridge? :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Phil" on BBO

#6 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2005-February-24, 00:15

Playing rubber with an unknown, I just bid 6C showing 0/4. Mind you this depends on who my pd is. With most rb partners 5NT does NOT guarantee 4 Aces, even in a "strong" rb club - Phil is quite correct!
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#7 Guest_Jlall_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 2005-February-24, 12:19

id bid 7

#8 User is offline   paulhar 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-February-24, 13:52

OK, the reason behind the question. While gathering material for a course, I've seen in print that the answers for kings are the same as for aces, only one level higher. (i.e. 6C with all 4 kings) It appeared once again in this month's ACBL Bridge Bulletin.

I think that bidding 6C with four kings is an insult to partner. Yes, partner should be always able to know the difference between four aces and none, but I can imagine situations where no kings or all four might be in doubt! Even if your strong partner might not have all the aces, his reason for asking must be that he intended to play 6NT opposite all the kings, perhaps for safety reasons, like to avoid losing an ace and a trump on a really foul trump split - or to avoid going down to ace and a ruff. So, it seems clear to me to bid 6NT.

If anyone can shoot a hole in the above argument, I would look forward to hearing from them.
I tend to lead fourth best - as opposed to the best suit, the second best suit, or the third best suit for our side

#9 User is offline   HeartA 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-February-24, 14:21

When you use 5NT you ARE in 6-level already! When you are short of an Ace and trump King (2 key cards), you still have to stay in 6-level. Or maybe the rule changed, and you can bid back to lower level? When one uses 5NT to ask Kings (or secondary keycards), it says we have all Aces (or first level keycards).
Senshu

#10 User is offline   paulhar 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-February-24, 14:35

While that's what my partner and I play, there are some matchpoint players who ask for Kings without all the Aces in an attempt to reach a higher-scoring 6NT instead of 6 of a suit - choosing to play in 6 of a suit off an Ace and a King hoping that the King isn't an important one to the success of the contract.

#11 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-February-24, 18:18

pclayton, on Feb 24 2005, 06:10 AM, said:

Rubber bridge?

And you are assuming we have all 4 aces when pard bids 5N?

Have you actually played rubber bridge?  :)  :lol:  :lol:

No. And it seems I rather shouldn't (or be prepared to lose lots of money due to bidding misunderstandings) :P
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#12 User is offline   Flame 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-February-24, 22:10

paulhar, on Feb 24 2005, 03:35 PM, said:

While that's what my partner and I play, there are some matchpoint players who ask for Kings without all the Aces in an attempt to reach a higher-scoring 6NT instead of 6 of a suit - choosing to play in 6 of a suit off an Ace and a King hoping that the King isn't an important one to the success of the contract.

Was that a mp rubber :)
I think if you arent sure and im not even sure with some of my regular partners, just bid 7 of your suit.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users