BBO Discussion Forums: Pre-Robson/Segal auction, part II - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Pre-Robson/Segal auction, part II

Poll: Someone pointed a gun at your head so you bid 3 diamonds. What now? (14 member(s) have cast votes)

Someone pointed a gun at your head so you bid 3 diamonds. What now?

1. 5 Hearts (1 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

2. Double (6 votes [42.86%])

Percentage of vote: 42.86%

3. Can I have that gun again, please? (6 votes [42.86%])

Percentage of vote: 42.86%

4. Pass (1 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2005-February-21, 08:30

Scoring: IMP

1-(2)-3-(P)-
4-(P)-P-(5)-
P*-(P)-?

Ok, so in the misguided hope that it would allow us to play 3 when it is right, and 4 when it is right, I bid 3. (And before you ask, yes I have made worse bids at the table.)
Seemed to work well, until LHO bid 5, and I got what I deserved. You may not like it, but partner's pass is 100% forcing.
How do you follow up to your (ahem, my) misbid?

(3 promised invitational values with 4+ trumps.)

Arend
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#2 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2005-February-21, 08:39

hum... dunno. I think I double.

#3 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2005-February-21, 09:56

So pre-robson/Segal, was 3 game force or limit raise plus for you.... I guess what I am asking before I vote in this last guess situation is, was 4 extras or minimum.
--Ben--

#4 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2005-February-21, 09:58

inquiry, on Feb 21 2005, 03:56 PM, said:

So pre-robson/Segal, was 3 game force or limit raise plus for you.... I guess what I am asking before I vote in this last guess situation is, was 4 extras or minimum.

3 was limit+. So 4 shows some extras.

Arend
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#5 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2005-February-21, 10:18

I pass. 5H looks wrong, double looks wrong. The 5 level belongs to the opponents I heard someone say. I know partner will be unimpressed, but at least this shouldn't be a complete disaster.

I have no defence, and too many losers to bid 5H. So I pass and hope partner doesn't kill me.

#6 User is offline   pclayton 

Posted 2005-February-21, 12:11

If its an important game, I'll pass. If its a game that doesn't matter I'll double to maintain partnership harmony, and so I won't have to put this dummy down.

I voted for the "gun" option. Perhaps theres one left in the chamber for the waiter who bid my hand. :)
"Phil" on BBO

#7 User is offline   Double ! 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:My personal interests are my family and my friends. I am extremely concerned about the lives and futures of the kids (and their families) that I work with. I care about the friends I have made on BBO. Also, I am extremely concerned about the environment/ ecology/ wildlife/ the little planet that we call Earth. How much more of the world's habitat and food supply for animals do we plan on destroying. How many more wetlands are we going to drain, fill, and build on? How many more sand dunes are we going to knock down in the interests of high-rise hotels or luxury homes?

Posted 2005-February-21, 12:11

I chose to Double.
IMO Pass is not an option, 5H is unlikely to make (I don't like 5332), and your defensive potential is unclear. You made a commitment to partner to take some form of action should this situation occur when you, rightly or wrongly, chose to bid 3 diamonds. And partner is likely not totally without defense: partner accepted your game try and then didn't rule out the 5-level. IMO, you can't first say "I have such and such a type of hand" with one bid and then say, "oh, I changed my mind, I have such and such a type of hand instead" with another bid (unless a psych) without greatly impairing partnership trust. 5D may or may not be a sac (or a phantom), and if it makes, it makes. But partner's pass of 5D was likely based at least in part on your 3D bid. You don't want to hear partner say, "oh, if I knew you had that hand or that you might pass, I would've doubled instead of passing". If all else fails, there is still that gun located somewhere waiting to be found.
"That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!"

#8 User is offline   flytoox 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-February-21, 14:01

I double. As pd shows extra by bidding 4H and now his pass is forcing, you cannot violate the principle and pass. You have to bid sth, eith dbl or 5H. I vote for double. My shape is bad, and I have some defense potential. At least it is not 4Sx, getting three tricks is much easier than getting four tricks. Doulbe and pray.

#9 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-February-21, 14:36

Gonzo Bidding!

Hunter Thompson would have loved the bidding and the guns!

Talk about Fear and Loathing at the bridge table.

#10 User is offline   pbleighton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-February-21, 16:03

"Hunter Thompson would have loved the bidding and the guns!"

Do you think he played this hand?

Peter (who voted for the gun)

#11 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2005-February-24, 17:50

Ok, since I didn't have the gun option in real life, I doubled. Down came a somewhat surprising dummy:
Scoring: IMP

Recall, the bidding was
1-2-3-P
4-P-P-5
P-P-X-AP
First looks like the well-known gambit of doubling opps in 5 to prevent them from bidding 6. (Which does not work so well if they make 7 and may not even have bid 6.) On this hand, however, it worked out even better. On my lead of A ruffed in dummy, declarer played a diamond to the Ace, ruffed a second heart and dummy's spades were dead for down one.
Not sure whether declarer was afraid of bad suit breaks due to the double (he didn't ask whether pass had been forcing) and my overbidding, thought we were stupid enough to let the second club round being won by the short trump hand, or just wanted to teach his partner a lesson: "If you don't bid these wonderful spades, I won't bother to use them in the play, either."

Gained us 2 IMPs as team mates ended up in the wrong slam (6)...

#12 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2005-February-25, 06:08

What planet is west on?!?

#13 User is offline   dogsbreath 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:bridge,golf,cricket,baseball, ironing (?)

Posted 2005-February-25, 14:22

hi..
P's pass is forcing. This rules out 'pass' whatever it's practical merits, passing in a 'required-to-bid' situation undermines partnership confidence. Double is best option .. A hearts may stand up, Q!C is a defensive value and p is better than min.
Rgds Dog
ManoVerboard

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users