BBO Discussion Forums: Gib pass 4th suit after weak two bid - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Gib pass 4th suit after weak two bid

#1 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-August-25, 14:18

For this hand,Gib's bidding sequences are not good.
1- Why Gib pass 4 - 4th suit?
2- Why Gib rebid 4 instead of 3NT?

#2 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2014-August-25, 16:19

3N is hopeless. You need tricks in hearts for communication and just playing tricks. With singleton K you probably need something like 20 pts to have a chance at 3N cause you'll be playing alone.

2- if p has 3 probably have game in but when Gib bids there is no game likely, so should sign of in 3. At matchpoints it's probably not even worth looking for as game so unlikely and just pass 2

Sarcasm is a state of mind

#3 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-25, 20:38

I think it is borderline whether worth moving over 2H. My experience is that most of the time opener has a better suit than this. Whether that is simply the operation of random stats I do not know, but Kingleton support is normally enough. I think 2S is forgivable, and may well be best.

But whatever 4C shows systemically I would not bid it here. Nor 3N. For me the choice is between 3H and 4H.

What should 4C show? Lord knows, but surely it must be forcing. I would not describe it as forcing because it is the "4th suit". It is sufficient that it is a new suit, and at the 4 level

Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#4 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-26, 00:48

I have to say the the responder's new suit is always forcing,and don't casually across 3NT- Game border,so here need some bidding rules.

#5 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-26, 10:01

View Post1eyedjack, on 2014-August-25, 20:38, said:

What should 4C show? Lord knows, but surely it must be forcing. I would not describe it as forcing because it is the "4th suit". It is sufficient that it is a new suit, and at the 4 level
Agreed. And why would it show only 4+, when partner has shown 10 red cards? Are we really looking to play in a Moysian minor?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users