Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A four-card overcall

#1 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-August-14, 03:56

My GIB partner elected to overcall 1 on a four-card suit here. I don't really ever do it so I can't tell whether it's a good call or not, but what I remember from the Lawrence overcalls book is that it's preferable to do so when you have length in the opponents' suit. It worked out well on this hand though so what do I know.

#2 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-14, 04:12

I don't think it is a good rule that you need length in opp's suit. We once had a long thread about whether length in opp's suit improves the chance of a fit - there was no concensus other than that it probably doesn't make a big difference either way.

It's just that if your hand isn't suitable for a t/o double and you don't have another suit to bid, you probably have some length in opp's suit.

OTOH, if you are short in opp's suit the preasure to do something with a decent hand is bigger because partner may not be short enough in their suit to protect.

With this hand, I think 1 is fine.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2014-August-14, 07:05

Lawrencepointed out that it helps to have length in the opp's suit and this is a rule that has served me well over the years. Having said this, I would overcall 1H on this hand as well if not playing raptor.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#4 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-14, 11:16

It's simple arithmetic that having length in opener's suit increases the chance that partner will fit your overcall suit. There are less cards available in opener's suit so more spaces for the other suits, including yours. That said I also agree with 1H on this hand.

#5 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-14, 13:09

View Postiandayre, on 2014-August-14, 11:16, said:

It's simple arithmetic that having length in opener's suit increases the chance that partner will fit your overcall suit. There are less cards available in opener's suit so more spaces for the other suits, including yours. That said I also agree with 1H on this hand.

Not so simple!
Read
http://www.bridgebas...post__p__207460

Having length in opener's suit also decreases opener's expected length in that suit, and increases his expected length in your suits, which counters that effect.

Basically Lawrence was wrong about increased chance of fit. The idea of 4 cd overcall is still sound though, some hands are strong enough that bidding > passing, length in RHO's suit makes doubling worse since partner will bid some other suit, and the hand tends to play OK even when partner raises on the 4-3, because:
(1) 4-cd suit not taking taps,
and
(2) if LHO can ruff the opener's suit, dummy can often overruff.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users