• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Tournament Completion Percentage blocked from tournament registration

#1 User is offline   abbey1 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-July-31, 20:53

I have a favorite site for tournament registration, but find that my partner and I are blocked. The message is that we do not have a satisfactory Tournament Completion Percentage. Can someone tell me what this is and how do we improve that percentage so that we can play in that tournament again?

#2 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-July-31, 21:24

Look at your own profile... it will tell you what your tournament completion rate is. To improve that percentage, play tournaments and don't quit before the tournament is over, no matter how badly you are doing. It might be that your profile will say that your rate is N/A, which simply means that you haven't played enough tournaments to yet earn a rate, so you should just play some more.

#3 User is offline   breb 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-May-26, 22:05

View PostBbradley62, on 2014-July-31, 21:24, said:

Look at your own profile... it will tell you what your tournament completion rate is. To improve that percentage, play tournaments and don't quit before the tournament is over, no matter how badly you are doing. It might be that your profile will say that your rate is N/A, which simply means that you haven't played enough tournaments to yet earn a rate, so you should just play some more.

In the profile of the windows version of BBO, the TCR and MCR are not presented ... the TCR are tracked just for tournaments played with web/mobile version ? or played with all the versions windows/web/mobile ?

#4 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-May-27, 14:24

It doesn't matter where you play, but the percentage is only displayed in the profile in the web version. The windows app hasn't been updated in many years, and the last update was before we added this feature.

#5 User is offline   TrialBid 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-November-03, 22:28

For the first time, I was rejected for a tournament for having too low a completion rate. It says my percentage is 83. There is something bogus going on here. I basically never quit tournaments but I do substitute often in ACBL and am frequently dismissed when the original player returns. It's also possible that BBO doesn't keep an accurate history going back a considerable time but only look at the time period that Bridgebase keeps current tournament records. That would be a serious problem when I have (as is true currently) been online very irregularly and have logged very little history.

At any rate, I say BBO is doing it in a way that blocks people who should not be blocked. I'd like to know why and I'd like to see it fixed.

#6 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-November-04, 10:25

We only update your TCR when you've played at least 10 tourneys in the preceding 60 days. Being removed as a substitute doesn't count against you.

The last time you met the criteria to update your TCR was September 28. You'd played 23 tourneys, and left 4 of them, which is 17%. They were in mid-August: 1 speedball, 2 free automated fun, and 1 Geo - USA.

In the speedball you were a substitute, but it looks like you left on your own after playing 2 boards, because you weren't replaced by the original player.

#7 User is offline   tsankaR 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-23, 06:39

i play regularly in tourneys. I have not quit any tourney.

But my TCR has not increased at all. why?

#8 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-December-23, 09:35

Yesterday you withdrew from 2 SKY CLUB tourneys and the WB4F Goulash tourney. You withdrew from 3 other tourneys earlier in the week.

#9 User is offline   tsankaR 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-24, 00:00

View Postbarmar, on 2016-December-23, 09:35, said:

Yesterday you withdrew from 2 SKY CLUB tourneys and the WB4F Goulash tourney. You withdrew from 3 other tourneys earlier in the week.

I did not withdraw. I was sub. Please change your software program to exclude subs. You will say that subs are excluded from affecting TCR. but that is not such in my case

#10 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-December-24, 13:56

View PosttsankaR, on 2016-December-24, 00:00, said:

I did not withdraw. I was sub. Please change your software program to exclude subs. You will say that subs are excluded from affecting TCR. but that is not such in my case

If a sub is replaced with the original player when they come back, that doesn't count against them in the TCR.

But if a sub leaves the tourney for some other reason, that counts. It causes just as much inconvenience for the TD and the other players as if they were one of the original players.

#11 User is offline   SteelWheel 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-24, 20:55

My percentage has recently dropped from 100 to 99. The only reason I can think of for this is failure to complete several instant tournaments (fell asleep, sorry). In any case, these are solo tournaments, so my non-completion doesn't affect any other players or cause extra work for TDs--the whole thing runs on auto-pilot.

I'm sure my percentage will eventually return to 100; nevertheless, this might be one area in which completion is somewhat irrelevant and should perhaps be eliminated from calculations.

#12 User is offline   tsankaR 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-24, 21:09

View Postbarmar, on 2016-December-24, 13:56, said:

But if a sub leaves the tourney for some other reason, that counts.

What if a sub does not leave on his own, but again subbed [due to slow play, etc]. Does it count?

#13 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-December-25, 13:52

View PosttsankaR, on 2016-December-24, 21:09, said:

What if a sub does not leave on his own, but again subbed [due to slow play, etc]. Does it count?

Yes, that counts.

The general idea is that anything that inconveniences the other players counts. A higher percentage means you're less likely to interrupt tourneys, assuming your past is representative of the future.

#14 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-December-25, 14:23

View PostSteelWheel, on 2016-December-24, 20:55, said:

My percentage has recently dropped from 100 to 99. The only reason I can think of for this is failure to complete several instant tournaments (fell asleep, sorry). In any case, these are solo tournaments, so my non-completion doesn't affect any other players or cause extra work for TDs--the whole thing runs on auto-pilot.

I'm sure my percentage will eventually return to 100; nevertheless, this might be one area in which completion is somewhat irrelevant and should perhaps be eliminated from calculations.

No, solo tourneys (robot duplicates and instant tourneys) don't count against you.

You've played in 189 tourneys in the past 60 days, and you dropped out of one on Nov 16. That's a completion rate of 99.47%, which rounds off to 99%. Your completion percentage has been rising from 99.16 a month go to 99.47% today.

However, there's a bug that you may have stumbled over in the tourney you're supposed to have dropped from (ACBL speedball #6751), since myhands shows you playing all 12 boards. When you finish the last board, if you leave the tourney or logout without waiting for BBO to move you into the lobby itself, the server thinks you bailed and counts it against you.

I've manually fixed that entry in our database, so when the TCR is recalculated tonight you should be 100% again.

#15 User is offline   tsankaR 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-25, 20:57

View Postbarmar, on 2016-December-25, 14:23, said:

] When you finish the last board, if you leave the tourney or logout without waiting for BBO to move you into the lobby itself, the server thinks you bailed and counts it against you.

Is it possible to to exclude dummy in last board leaving as "leaving"? that is if dummy in last board leaves then it is treated as completed

#16 User is offline   scarletv 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-26, 03:32

View PosttsankaR, on 2016-December-25, 20:57, said:

Is it possible to to exclude dummy in last board leaving as "leaving"? that is if dummy in last board leaves then it is treated as completed

The TD will just see one player is red without knowing you are dummy in last board and will have to check. Sometimes he might inadvertently sub you which is additional pain for your successor.

Besides that I think it is impolite to opponents and partner to leave the table before the play is finished.

#17 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-December-26, 12:16

View Postscarletv, on 2016-December-26, 03:32, said:

The TD will just see one player is red without knowing you are dummy in last board and will have to check. Sometimes he might inadvertently sub you which is additional pain for your successor.

Why would anyone call the director in this case? The TD doesn't have to check if no one calls him about it.

#18 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-December-26, 12:17

I'm checking whether this is already done, I'll let you know when I find out.

#19 User is offline   scarletv 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-26, 14:03

View Postbarmar, on 2016-December-26, 12:16, said:

Why would anyone call the director in this case? The TD doesn't have to check if no one calls him about it.

Here are some of my reasons why I always check red ones when I have the time.

1) Other tables are influenced as well as they might be waiting for this table finishing. In unclocked tourneys they might wait forever, even in clocked tourneys this will probably be the last table playing at the end of the round and the rest of the tourney is waiting.
2) You will receive complaints about missing results or not played boards and wishes for adjustment with some follow up discussions about what should compensate the damage.
3) Some of the red ones are trouble makers who belong to the blacklist when they run after ridiculous bidding or play. You will rarely find out when not looking what happened.
4) Some players hardly speak English and are anxious to call the TD.
5) Checking timely makes it possible to find better fitting subs.

Of course it is up to the TD to prioritise and some might do it the way you propose. But you must face the reality that not all tables call a TD when there is a problem.

#20 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-December-26, 23:08

We don't currently exclude this case. We don't think it comes up enough that it will have a significant impact on anyone's TCR. The same with the bug I mentioned above about leaving before the server moves you out to the lobby after the last board.

In general, we don't think that issues that are likely to reduce your TCR by at most 1% are very high priority, particularly when there are known workarounds.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users