• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Tough Play Problem

#1 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-August-02, 09:08

IMPS, 64 board match.

This was an interesting hand for a couple of reasons in the Chairman's Cup final. It was board 17 (rotated for convenience in case some SB posts that Board 17 is dealer North). The auction was brief but not uneventful in the other room, when South passed and North opened a strong NT. South, Håkan Nilsson, bid Stayman, and over 2H bid 3NT. Just as West, Lamford, was passing, South said "I have made the wrong bid". West asked if he meant that he had made a mechanical error; South confirmed that he had, so West allowed a correction to 4♥ and all passed. As Vugraph reported:

vugraphzed: Håkan first placed 3NT on the tray. Director called.
vugraphzed: Director ruled it was too late to call. 4♥ is the bid.

That is not quite right. West called the director when he saw dummy (South at his table), but the director ruled that the change of call stood as the auction was over. Declarer made 12 tricks and Lamford, noticing that the correction to Four Spades was cold, let it go rather than risk not being asked back in some future year by making a fuss and trying to gain from some inexplicable non-bridge error! And no IMPs were at stake, as the play in 6H is the main point of the post. How do you play it on the jack of diamonds lead, which Michael Byrne received? I don't think the meaning of the auction matters much, but I cannot explain it anyway!
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#2 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-August-03, 04:49

I thought of two lines:

1. Take diamond ace, play a club towards the queen, take it from there. Who knows, maybe later I can use clubs as reserve trumps?

2. Take ace, ruff diamond, finesse club. Later ruff another diamond and finesse spades. Hoping for 2 ruffs, 1 finesse on and a trump guess.

I can't figure out the odds, so I'll play from instinct. Since line 2 seems to lead to a lot of entry trouble, I think I'll go with line 1.

#3 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-04, 02:52

Since you have to guess trumps sooner or later anyway a third line is to play a trump to the jack and run the Q
It is more convenient to play RHO for the trump queen because I need entries to hand.
If I can establish clubs I might not need the spade finesse.
But for that I need late entries to hand and if I start with a diamond ruff I may get shortened in hand.

For example if RHO has all the honors and trumps and clubs break I do not think he can beat me.

If the trump finesse looses obviously I will need luck in the club department, that is LHO must have Kx in clubs and trumps must break.
If a spade comes back put up the ace.

Rainer Herrmann

#4 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-04, 03:47

View Postrhm, on 2014-August-04, 02:52, said:

Since you have to guess trumps sooner or later anyway a third line is to play a trump to the jack and run the Q
It is more convenient to play RHO for the trump queen because I need entries to hand.
If I can establish clubs I might not need the spade finesse.
But for that I need late entries to hand and if I start with a diamond ruff I may get shortened in hand.

For example if RHO has all the honors and trumps and clubs break I do not think he can beat me.

If the trump finesse looses obviously I will need luck in the club department, that is LHO must have Kx in clubs and trumps must break.
If a spade comes back put up the ace.

Rainer Herrmann

OK, I will give more people a chance to have a go before posting what works and what doesn't.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users