Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What sort of squeeze? 7NT

#1 User is offline   CamHenry 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-July-11, 01:51

S plays 7NT after an ambitious auction. We have 12 top tricks, plus a chance for 1 more in any of hearts, diamonds or clubs.

My (very much inexpert) analysis suggests that we need W to guard any two suits: we'll be cashing spades, pitching minors from dummy (having unblocked the HA). Is this correct?

My other question is whether this type of squeeze has a name, and if so what that name is.

#2 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-July-11, 04:04

I'm not sure this is most efficient as you're not guaranteed to read it correctly. How do you know what suit to discard on the final spade ? You're not guaranteed particularly against an expert defender to pick the one he's actually unguarded.

I think it might be better to cash one spade from N to check if they're 4-0, then if not A in case J drops, then 3 clubs and discard the 4th on the final spade if it's not good.

This will make if W guards both minors or either player guards diamonds and hearts and requires no reading.

#3 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-July-11, 04:28

View PostCamHenry, on 2014-July-11, 01:51, said:

S plays 7NT after an ambitious auction. We have 12 top tricks, plus a chance for 1 more in any of hearts, diamonds or clubs.

My (very much inexpert) analysis suggests that we need W to guard any two suits: we'll be cashing spades, pitching minors from dummy (having unblocked the HA). Is this correct?

My other question is whether this type of squeeze has a name, and if so what that name is.
Agree with CyberYeti. Cash K to guard against a 4-0 break. Cash aces in the other suits, in case there's a singleton honour; and watch opponents' carding...

If, from opponent's carding, you judge that RHO is more likely to hold than length, then reduce to this double-squeeze ending:
Dummy Q 6 5
Declarer 2 Q T
Now cash 2, discarding 5 unless it is good.
Finally unless Q is good, play Q 6.

If, from opponent's carding, you judge that RHO is more likely to hold than length, then reduce to
Dummy 6 Q 5
Declarer 2 Q T

#4 User is offline   CamHenry 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-July-11, 06:29

View PostCyberyeti, on 2014-July-11, 04:04, said:

I'm not sure this is most efficient as you're not guaranteed to read it correctly. How do you know what suit to discard on the final spade ? You're not guaranteed particularly against an expert defender to pick the one he's actually unguarded.

I think it might be better to cash one spade from N to check if they're 4-0, then if not A in case J drops, then 3 clubs and discard the 4th on the final spade if it's not good.

This will make if W guards both minors or either player guards diamonds and hearts and requires no reading.

My actual line was very similar to this. I started off with the CA, HA, SK (no 4-0 split), then cashed three diamonds instead of clubs, which was fortuitous as W guarded clubs and hearts.

#5 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2014-July-11, 07:15

So as suits diamonds and hearts are only an opp may have the controll (4-3 shape). Romanet call this type of squeeze "alternative" (moving like double squeeze but instead of double threat we have a threat controlled an opp ) We have on this stage two alternative threats. The squeezes possibilities are H-D, H-C, D-C if we squeeze West but only the first and the second if let's squeeze East.

#6 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-July-12, 05:22

After a split-second skim, this is some sort of compound squeeze that turns into a simple squeeze. You have the option of choosing the minor suit that acts as isolated/communicating menace.

EDIT: I see that there seems to be a name for it, "alternative squeeze". Thx lovera.

#7 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-12, 06:38

THE ALTERNATIVE COMPRESSIONS. When you have a single affrancable suit and is expected to then double squeeze , sometimes it happens that none of the three remaining colors to be able to provide a double threat, either by excess assets: AKQx / xx or AKxx / Qx want because the threat is of value too high to be able to act on both opponents: AQ / x or AKJ / xx or AJx/ Kx. We have already seen that in this second case, however, should consider the bottom card of the fork as if it were a double threat to preference uncertainty of the impasse. The same technique can also be used in the first case, looking for a pattern resembling one of double squeeze (...) The probability of success of these compressions alternatives are significant in each case significantly higher than those of a simple impasse, to which, therefore should be preferred.(From "Le squeeze au Bridge" by Bertrand Romanet Chapter VI Variation on theme of double squeeze pagg. 234 and 236). Thank you, bye.

#8 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-13, 00:02

We already seen is this: N (s) A Q (h) 9 (d) - © - S (s) 2 (h) - (d) 8 © 7 W (s) ?? (h) J (d) - © - E (s) ?? (h) - (d) J © - [where is this the King?] The c 7 squeeze simultaneasly both opp (balanced scheme) forcing them to discard a spade. After we play the Ace without impassing (the other position is with three cards in the same way with A 2/K J 3 against ???). Romanet call this position ("to whom don't like to risk all on an impasse" compressione per cardiopatici - squeeze for cardiopatics that i have defined once freely translating heartache squeeze [click on my nickname "Lovera" then on my profile click on "Find my content " then choise "Nice grand .." to have an example of hand].

#9 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-14, 07:50

79."Elementary squeeze played as a compound squeeze". In elementary squeeze[simple] play it may happen that only a simple squeeze is present, but with no way to tell whether East or West is to be pulverized. The, granted proper conditions, Declarer solve the problem "by playing the hand as a double squeeze (prgr 24). Needless to say, a similar situation may arise at our present level, and in fact is very common. That is : your holdings in one of the ambigous suits - perhaps in both of those suits - is such that only one defender can stop the suit, but with no way to locate the stopper. Then, granted the requisite conditions, you merely "play the hand as a compound squeeze". Exercise 107 N (s) 4 2 (h) 3 2 (d) K 10 9 8 2 © A K Q 5 S (s) A K J 3 (h) A K 6 (d) Q J 6 © 7 4 3 Bidding (opp silent )N1d S2s N3c S4NT N5d S6NT West leads c 2 T1:Queen wins.East plays c 9. T2: d Q to West's Ace. T3: Club. East plays c J.T4: d J. Both follow. T5: Diamond. West discard a Heart.T6:Diamond. Each disard a Heart. Analysis 107 W (s) Q 10 9 (h) J 8 7 5 (d) A 7 © 10 8 6 2 E (s) 8 7 6 5 (h) Q 10 9 4 (d) 5 4 3 © J 9 . The difficult part of compound squeeze play lies in weighing the evidence when the crux is reached. Here,West's discard mean little, because help might easily have held two Spades and five Hearts. The deciding factor is East's discard, T6. If West can still stop Hearts, then East has thrown a Heart from a holding of five Spades and three Hearts, which sounds unlikely.So Declarer cash the Hearts, return in Clubs and leads the Diamond.(From Love text pagg. 197 and 198).

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users