Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What to bid

#1 User is offline   keen2learn 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-June-22, 01:24

Came across this little devil of a hand today and I was wondering if there is a "right" bid for the South hand.

Partner North opens one no-trump (15/17) All vul
West interposes two spades.
You as south have:

AJ65
QJ98743

My thoughts were double has to be for penalties, three clubs to play leaving ?
I bid a practical five clubs and got booted as soon as my hand was exposed.
That's not new at BBO but curious as to what might be a better approach.

#2 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-June-22, 01:51

5 seems like a practical bid, although it depends a little if it is MP or IMP. A lot of people play lebensohl in which case 3 might be a reasonable bid (showing game going values, 4 hearts, and no spade stopper). Partner could choose between 3nt or 4 or a scrambling 4m that you'd raise to 5.

#3 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-22, 01:51

I don't have a strong opinion on 5C. Certainly it could work. Certainly good question.

IMPs v MP may make a difference, but you don't say.

I prefer to play takeout doubles here, so the penalty X would not be an option for me. Don't think that I like it even if it were.

Presumably your partner was host. Hope the other two players also left.

[EDIT]
I first read it as AJ52 of Spades and some unspecified red singleton missing from the hand diag, as penalty X was floated as an option. But I now see that it was 1-4-1-7 shape, so penalty X is right out of the window. Takeout X possibly back in the frame, if playing that, but I wouldn't.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#4 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-22, 02:18

Many players will play a convention here.

Without it 3 is the bid, showing 4 hearts and game values.

With it (the convention is called Lebensohl, well worth looking up) you treat a 2N bid as artificial, and the difference between 1N-(2)-3 and 1N-(2)-2N-3-3 (the 3 bid is forced) is that one shows 4 hearts and a spade stop, and the other shows 4 hearts without one.

#5 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-June-22, 03:40

Even if pard has 4 hearts, game there will be difficult, as the lack of entries make it hard to setup the clubs.

The hand has 1+2+1+2 = 6 losers and the 1NT bid statistically has 4 cover cards. 5 should make thus.

As a rule, when the minor suit doesn't have the ace it's best to bid the suit game, not NT.

#6 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-June-22, 03:46

It is partner's 5th Heart that makes missing the heart fit so expensive here. With "only" a 4-4 heart fit there are fair chances of getting cut off from the Clubs.

[edit - crossed in post]

Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,

#7 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2014-June-23, 08:44

Most players play that 3 here is forcing. This was true even before Lebensohl, although some played it as to play.

I would bid 3 hoping it was forcing, but if partner passed at least we would go plus. If given a second chance, I would bid hearts. There are too many hands on which partner has 4 hearts where 4 is cold to not bid again. And 5 could certainly make.

In any case, passing over 2 is out of the question. And doubling is absurd unless you have clearly agreed that the double is negative.

#8 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-23, 08:52

5 is fine. You could bid 3 but even if p can bid 3NT or 4 you still don't know whether it is better than 5.

Here in England, 3 would be alertable if it were forcing so before you make a forcing 3 bid you might check the flag country of your partner !
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#9 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2014-June-23, 09:10

Hello keen2learn and welcome to the BBO forums. As others have pointed out this is an area for agreements and what I would expect a partner to understand would vary according to their rating, profile and my estimaton of their abilities based on the play so far. Bidding 5 is not unreasonable though. Booting you was imho, especially given that you had gone plus on 7 hands in a row at that stage. It is a little unfair that the host is not here to defend himself. Maybe it was a misclick, maybe some things were said and not reported here,

Having found the hand online, there are also few additions to make. First of all RHO (East) was the dealer. Partner opened 1NT after 3 passes and East (not West :P) now bid 2 alerted as Cappelletti (spades + a minor). The scoring is IMPs and it is Love All. To Jack's question, one of the other players left (or was booted) and the other stayed for a further 5 hands.
(-: Zel :-)

#10 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-23, 09:35

View Posthelene_t, on 2014-June-23, 08:52, said:

Here in England, 3 would be alertable if it were forcing so before you make a forcing 3 bid you might check the flag country of your partner !

For the benefit of EBU members, this will be one of a very small number of changes in the new Blue Book, which will come into effect at the start of August.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#11 User is offline   haldun_p 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-June-23, 19:00

Otomatik 6club

#12 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-June-23, 22:40

I am with Art in terms of what to bid, but I don't agree with the idea that doubling is ok if negative. No way is this a negative double, which is a double that can be left in when partner has what looks like, to him, nice defence: say KQ9x xx KJx AKxx. That soft 7 card club suit is an anti-defensive holding that operates to downgrade cards that partner will see as defensive assets.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#13 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-June-23, 23:01

It would not occur to me that 3C was anything other than natural and forcing unless alerted. The EBU is a scary organization.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#14 User is offline   bluechip10 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-June-24, 17:32

View PostCyberyeti, on 2014-June-22, 02:18, said:

Many players will play a convention here.

Without it 3 is the bid, showing 4 hearts and game values.

With it (the convention is called Lebensohl, well worth looking up) you treat a 2N bid as artificial, and the difference between 1N-(2)-3 and 1N-(2)-2N-3-3 (the 3 bid is forced) is that one shows 4 hearts and a spade stop, and the other shows 4 hearts without one.

I play Lebensohl, and I like this treatment.

#15 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-June-24, 22:37

View Postbluechip10, on 2014-June-24, 17:32, said:

Me too. Just not on this hand.

#16 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2014-June-25, 01:52

View Postbluechip10, on 2014-June-24, 17:32, said:

Some other options are transfers (eg 2NT = ; 3 = ; 3 = ; 3 = Stayman; 3 = stop ask) or bidding Stayman via a takeout double to leave more options for direct bids (eg add 3 as a natural invite to the scheme above). You can also use a hybrid scheme with transfers + a multi-way 2NT, for example by bundling inviational red-suited hands into 2NT.
(-: Zel :-)

#17 User is offline   MickyB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-25, 02:10

View Postaguahombre, on 2014-June-23, 23:01, said:

It would not occur to me that 3C was anything other than natural and forcing unless alerted. The EBU is a scary organization.

Not really fair. The vast majority of club players play weak NT and don't play lebensohl; Within these constraints, 3C NF is perfectly sensible, and I think most play it as such.

#18 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2014-June-25, 02:21

View Post1eyedjack, on 2014-June-24, 22:37, said:

Me too. Just not on this hand.

I was presuming this was pairs, basically you're taking a gamble, if partner has a hand where they can force you to ruff twice, and he only has 2 clubs, then 5 will likely play better (xxx, KQxx, AKJx, Kx for example). The worst case for 5 is where partner has say Kxx, KQxx, KQxx, Kx and you're off 3 aces in 5 but might make 4. Much of the time you will score 420/450 in 4 and 400 in 5, give partner a fairly typical Axx, K10xx, KJx, Ax and 5 is no gimme, 4 simply demands hearts 3-2 and clubs not 4-0 and will outscore 5 even if you do manage to make it.

I'd be interested to see a sim on this, but I expect 4 to score better at matchpoints if partner has 4 hearts.

#19 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-June-25, 07:36

View PostMickyB, on 2014-June-25, 02:10, said:

Not really fair. The vast majority of club players play weak NT and don't play lebensohl; Within these constraints, 3C NF is perfectly sensible, and I think most play it as such.

I read a different OP than you did.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#20 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-25, 07:42

View Postaguahombre, on 2014-June-25, 07:36, said:

I read a different OP than you did.

No. Micky's comment was about EBU being a scary organization. In that context it is relevant that most EBU club players play weak NT. This is not related to OP's system.

Sorry for the hijack.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users