Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Transfers after (1C) X (P)

#1 User is offline   EricK 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-June-21, 02:27

Does anybody play transfers by 4th hand when the bidding starts (1) X (P)? It seems like the extra space could be useful eg to allow jumps to 2M to promise 5+, while a transfer-completion-raise sequence could show the same strength but only 4 in the major; or to allow 4th hand to show both majors at the 1 level by transferring to then bidding 1.

Because you've lost the natural 1 response, you could also play that a 1 response shows a balanced-ish hand with no 4cd major, and 2 is 2-way, either weak with 5+ or various strong hands.

#2 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-21, 02:43

I play transfers there, but they start from 2.

#3 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-21, 02:54

View PostEricK, on 2014-June-21, 02:27, said:

... to allow 4th hand to show both majors at the 1 level by transferring to then bidding 1.

That assumes that opener will allow you to show both majors at the one level. If he bids 2 or 3 over 1 you're not well-placed. If I played transfers here, I'd play 1 followed by 2 as 4-4
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#4 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-June-21, 03:09

Transfers after 1m (dbl) ?? are arguably superior, but they require memory work. That is probably the only downside, but it's a major one.

#5 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-21, 03:37

I play transfer jump advances after any 1-suit X. The marginal utility at the 1 level is lessened by the unlikelihood of a free run.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#6 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2014-June-21, 09:09

Of note to those in ACBLland conventional redoubles and free bids are allowed over a double in GCC.

you probably need a bid to show min hand 5-4 in the majors (1N is convenient or 2=54 & 2=54)

If there is no competition with 4-4 in majors you show and its partners job to show , with competition opener can make a negative double with 4 hopefully.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#7 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2014-June-23, 03:16

This seems like something of a cross between Ken's Intentional Insanity post and the discussions between Transfer Walsh versus Montreal Relay. Except that here the relay seems to have more going for it than in response to an opening bid. If willing to give up 1, perhaps we can combine ideas:

1 = negative
1/2 = constructive, non-forcing
2 = GF with // respectively
NT bids = as normal

Am not sure how useful the transfers really are if jumps show a GF though. It seems like we would be better off putting Opener on OL and we have plenty of space to sort out 4 cards versus 5 starting at the 2 level. I assume in PK and Jack's schemes the jumps are INV+ and that makes for quite a big difference.
(-: Zel :-)

#8 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-24, 03:32

In my transfer walsh partnerships, after (1) X (p) we play system on, with X meaning that overcaller would have opened 1. Transfers work well for us.

To answer your questions, there are no differences in this situation to normal twalsh (as we play it), so a jump to 2M is 6 card weak (max 8hcp), transfer completion raise is 6 card 9-12, and 1 is a relay with balanced or a minor. For Steve's weak 54xx or 45xx we use the 1NT bid. We can't show spades in a weak 44xx without a free run, as another X from overcaller would then be 3 card heart support, not a negative for spades.

1eyedjack : at the 1 level you have shown your major even if opener competes, and when you have a strong hand you show it in your continuation anyway. I see no downside here.

Whereagles : one reason I like this is that there is absolutely no memory work. Completely untouched normal continuations. I agree with Zel that this is not ideal, as it would be advantageous to have advancer declare, but like you the memory overload for me that something different would entail is a deterrent. Maybe after a 1 open overcaller should give his response to an assumed 1 open by advancer !

#9 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-June-24, 05:46

Well, I'm glad it works for you. My experience hasn't been so positive, though :)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users