BBO Discussion Forums: Could you please tell new users they can't post to the forum for 10 days? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Could you please tell new users they can't post to the forum for 10 days?

#1 User is offline   Interrobng 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-June-02, 10:15

Greetings!

I am a very new BBO user. When I first signed in, I had some questions I wanted to ask in the forum. I tried to log in to the forum. It asked me for my BBO user name and password. I entered them, and was told that they were incorrect. I tried a few times. I then sent an E-mail to support@bridgebaseonline.com. A very unpleasant exchange ensued, in which they did not understand that I was asking about the forums instead of the game. Finally, a few days after a very angry exclamation-point-filled message from me, someone told me that the forums do not allow users to post until 10 days after they sign up.

It is now 10 days after I signed up, and I can now post.

Could you please put something up someplace that tells new members that they have to wait 10 days to post to the forum?

Thank you very much!

RobR

#2 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-June-03, 02:04

View PostInterrobng, on 2014-June-02, 10:15, said:

Greetings!

I am a very new BBO user. When I first signed in, I had some questions I wanted to ask in the forum. I tried to log in to the forum. It asked me for my BBO user name and password. I entered them, and was told that they were incorrect. I tried a few times. I then sent an E-mail to support@bridgebaseonline.com. A very unpleasant exchange ensued, in which they did not understand that I was asking about the forums instead of the game. Finally, a few days after a very angry exclamation-point-filled message from me, someone told me that the forums do not allow users to post until 10 days after they sign up.

It is now 10 days after I signed up, and I can now post.

Could you please put something up someplace that tells new members that they have to wait 10 days to post to the forum?

Thank you very much!

RobR

Hi m8, welcome to BBO and forums, I am sorry you had a ruff start but people in BBO (you will see their names in yellow color at the top left of the list in BBO) are very helpful when you need them. I had no idea about the 10 days rule, but I think I can see the reason behind it, although I may as well be wrong. Anyway, I hope you stick around.

Timo

"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#3 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-03, 02:27

The reason is that there were a lot of spam attacks lately
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#4 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-June-03, 02:28

That's part of the limitations added when we had spammers flooding the forums. I think most yellows wouldn't know about it, it wasn't really made public anywhere, bec that wd sort of defeat the purpose. But we shd try and pop up some intelligent error for newbies to the forums instead of returning an invalid password message. It's on the to-do list, not sure when it will be done though.

#5 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-05, 06:46

How about adding it to the FAQ thread in General, Diana?
(-: Zel :-)

#6 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-05, 10:31

Hasn't it been the case that the problem has been with spammers creating many new threads? Would it be reasonable to allow newbies to create exactly one new thread in which they can ask multiple questions?

#7 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-June-05, 15:34

View PostBbradley62, on 2014-June-05, 10:31, said:

Hasn't it been the case that the problem has been with spammers creating many new threads? Would it be reasonable to allow newbies to create exactly one new thread in which they can ask multiple questions?

There are two user group settings that could potentially be used:

1. Can post new topics: [ Yes | No ]
2. Limit posts per 24 hours: [ # ] posts per 24 hours until [ # ] [ approved posts | days since joining ]

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users