Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1C (2m) interference

#1 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-May-18, 08:26

I've been looking at 1C (2m) interference. Many of us play transfers over this.

1C (2C) 2D shows 5+ hcps and 5+ hearts
2C (2C) 2H shows 5+ hcps and 5+ spades
1C (2D) 2H shows 5+ hcps and 5+ spades

In addition many of us play transfers over 1S interference.

So the question is whether opener should accept the transfer with a minimum hand and usually doubleton support. I've looked at a few hands (maybe 50) and it seemed to me that only around 10% of the time was this a very attractive option. Usually opener had a better option rebidding 2N or his own suit (nf).

I'm thinking...

accept the transfer-GF, no fit
.....responder rebids naturally, using the cue bid as a stuck bid
bid a suit, nf (bidding a suit at the 3-level is usually a 6-cd suit or a chunky 5-cd suit)
.....responder may pass or correct to 2N or force with any suit (including rebidding his suit) or cue bid
bid 2N
.....responder may pass or force with a new suit or cue bid. Should rebidding his suit be forcing? Don't think so as the cue bid is available.
raise partner's suit as GF fit
cue bid as a minimum raise
.....we have the intervening transfer bid as either a re-transfer or a game try. Not sure which is better.

So maybe someone could run a hand generator and see if they're finding the same thing.

#2 User is online   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-18, 10:01

Here's my view on this. Opener's hands can be broken down as follows:

1. Balanced minimum without a great fit, might not have game.
2. Balanced extras without a great fit, enough for game
3. Fitting hands (if balanced, generally 4-support or extras), all enough for game
4. Shapely minimum without a fit, might not have game
5. Shapely hand with extras and no fit, enough for game

The first hand type will include between a quarter and half of 17-18 balanced hands (almost all 4333s, all 4432/5332s with doubleton in partner's suit, some 4432/5332s with three in partner's suit). Since 17-18 balanced is the most common strong club, these hand types should be a significant fraction. On these hands I want to retain the possibility of playing in two of partner's major.

The main tradeoffs here seem to be that straube wants to use transfer-accept as a forcing bid where we use 2nt. This puts him ahead on hand type 2 (responder has more room to describe and also knows he is in a GF). But it puts him behind on hand type 1 (can't play 2M), and also on hand type 5 (where 2 over heart transfer and 3m are both non-forcing, meaning opener has to relay and can't describe his hand). Further, the majority of the time hand type 2 will end in 3nt or four of responder's suit, and it's not clear to me we need extra space to sort out this hand.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#3 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-18, 10:55

Maybe you could use 2-under transfers?

I'm just finding that the first step is too important and using it as nf is too infrequent.

I think you're right that it is awkward when opener wants to force with a suit and has to relay instead. However, much of the time he wants to make a nf introduction of his suit. Especially so if his suit is a minor and he can't bid it without forcing game. Maybe it's better to have transfer acceptance as the GF relay and 2M to be a 1-rd force. Is that better?

We had really complicated continuations...Rubensohl and so on and this is just a lot simpler.

#4 User is online   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-18, 11:45

Here is what we play:

1. 2M acceptance = NF, doubleton or three-card support in a min balanced hand
2. New suit at two-level = F1, not necessarily extras though
3. 2NT = forcing; various hands
4. 3x = GF; natural other than cue

2NT is one of: 1. non-fitting min with a long suit to introduce at the three-level 2. non-fitting balanced hand too strong to accept the transfer. Continuations after 2NT:

1. Responder bids 3 if non-GF. Opener can now bid 3M to show a strong balanced hand with doubleton, or below 3M to play, or pass 3 to play.
2. Responder bids anything else. These are GF and as natural as possible, with 3 being potentially a punt on an otherwise awkward GF hand. Continuations natural.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#5 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-18, 12:44

ok thanks. I couldn't see how to sign off in a lower ranking suit. What does opener use the cue bid for? Also I'm assuming that after 1C (2C) 2D P 2S that 2N is the only weakness signal; opener could rebid 3S to play.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users