Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 or 5 cards?

#1 User is offline   haver 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2003-June-08, 16:05

After my 1 cl (or 1 dia) and opp. dbl partner's 1 heart or 1 spade bid promises 4 or 5 card in the suit?

#2 User is offline   Codo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2003-June-08, 18:52

5 will be nice, but you won`t have fitting cards all the time.
And even if the doubler is known to always hold 4 cards in all unbid suits. If you have a fit with pd, you at least now, that this suit is splitting 4-1.

Kind Regards

Roland

P.S. I must confess, that I don`t know, whether this is a fixed rule in SAYC or 2/1. But it is the way I like it :)
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#3 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2003-June-08, 18:58

After my 1 cl (or 1 dia) and opp. dbl partner's 1 heart or 1 spade bid promises 4 or 5 card in the suit?

I think this is a matter of partnership style and bidding preferences. I play new suit at the one level 100% forcing, and promise only 4. Others play it always promises 5+. It is interesting, but some people, with sound reasoning, play this....

1D-(1H)-DBL <<--- actually denies spades, and instead shows clubs with at least mild diamond fit. The reason being they will bid 1S when holding spades... of course, these same people would always hold 4H when they double on this auction... 1D-(1S)-DBL.

Ben
--Ben--

#4 User is offline   montymoose 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2003-June-29, 15:09

B) Perhaps, lets answer the question by thinking what your partner does not have. He did NOT redouble, so he has less than a poor 10 or a good 9 HCP. He does not have 5 of your minor probably not even 4 or he may pass with a horrible hand. He does not have 5 diamonds or he would have bid them. Opponent, has either 4-4 in the majors or a hand with a 15+ HCP's and a 5 card suit of his own, and was too strong to overcall. If you are playing support doubles, you will be able to show partner even 3 card support. If none of these situations are available, you will heave to bid your hand normally realizing partner is on a weak hand. In my opinion there is no way to guarantee that he has 5 cards in the suit with out a partnership understanding, but looking at your hand and you partners response, you should not be shut out of the auction.

#5 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2003-June-29, 17:57

We play that 1m (X) 1M promises only 4 and is 100% forcing - responder could even have a GF. The xx shows 10+ and a willingness to penalise the opponents and therefor tends to deny a fit with pd.

After 1C (1H) X denies 4S, shows D and some C cards.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users