BBO Discussion Forums: Action over 1NT? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Action over 1NT?

Poll: Action over 1NT? (31 member(s) have cast votes)

Playing Asptro, what action would you take?

1. pass (6 votes [19.35%])

Percentage of vote: 19.35%

2. bid (25 votes [80.65%])

Percentage of vote: 80.65%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-May-14, 16:25

The fact that West is more likely to hold opening values does not demonstrably suggest bidding over passing on that East hand. If anything, it suggests that West is more likely to jump the bidding to a (quite likely) non making contract if East does bid. No adjustment.

South would do better to spend his time asking North why he had failed to make the obvious trump lead.

#22 User is online   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-14, 19:03

Maybe a trump lead is obvious — I don't know, I haven't looked. But every time I hear that word, "obvious" I remember that it took a Nobel Laureate an hour and a half to explain to a bunch of undergraduate physics majors why a particular transition between two quantum mechanical equations was "obvious". B-)
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#23 User is offline   VixTD 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-15, 06:58

View Postwank, on 2014-May-14, 10:22, said:

i would be very surprised if any experienced matchpoints player passed on this hand, though obviously asptro is a bad convention for hands with both majors.

Had it been matchpoint scoring I could very easily have been persuaded that passing was not a logical alternative.

View Postjallerton, on 2014-May-14, 16:25, said:

The fact that West is more likely to hold opening values does not demonstrably suggest bidding over passing on that East hand. If anything, it suggests that West is more likely to jump the bidding to a (quite likely) non making contract if East does bid. No adjustment.

In my poll I asked players what they would bid with the East hand, and once they had answered, whether they thought bidding was suggested over passing by the knowledge that partner had an opening bid. (They were the sort of people who would know what this meant.) I wasn't convinced that it was, but the players I consulted were. I suppose it depends how likely partner is to make a jump or forcing response. I'm not quite sure why he did on the actual hand, I wondered whether it was an odd attempt to hang his own side after committing an infraction.

South would do better to spend his time asking North why he had failed to make the obvious trump lead.

That was so bad I considered it might be classed as a serious error, but NS were not strong players, and in any case it's not related to the infraction.

#24 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-15, 08:14

Is it certain that the cards lifted from the BB were 1 something rather than 2, if pard was about to open a weak 2/3 I certainly wouldn't want to bid. Is this partner always consistent in using the stop card and pulling it before the bid ?

#25 User is online   blackshoe 

Posted 2014-May-15, 08:33

View PostVixTD, on 2014-May-15, 06:58, said:

That was so bad I considered it might be classed as a serious error, but NS were not strong players, and in any case it's not related to the infraction.

It is when a serious error is not related to the infraction that it may lead to the NOS losing restitution for the damage it caused.
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#26 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-May-15, 10:08

View PostVixTD, on 2014-May-13, 06:54, said:

Regional Swiss Teams. This was the full hand:
Before South opened, West had taken hold of and lifted some cards in the bidding box, but not withdrawn them. I was called at this point. I decided that no call had been made, and the auction should proceed with the knowledge that West has an opening bid unauthorized to East, who must be careful to avoid using this information to his advantage. I told NS to call me back at the end of play if they thought they might have been damaged, or if they were unsure.
EW called me back and told me the auction, and that West had made nine tricks after North led a club. What do you think about this one?
IMO
  • If you anchor to the weaker suit then LAs are 2 = 10, 2 = 8, Pass = 7, 2 = 6.
  • Partner's attempt to bid out of turn is UI to you.
  • Pollees confirm that the UI suggests bidding rather than passing (although, admittedly, bidding risks getting too high).
  • It might be "obvious" to lead a trump but failure to do so isn't a serious error (as defined by the rules).

#27 User is offline   VixTD 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-16, 06:30

View Postblackshoe, on 2014-May-15, 08:33, said:

It is when a serious error is not related to the infraction that it may lead to the NOS losing restitution for the damage it caused.

Yes, I worded that badly, I mean if it were classed as a serious error (for a better player, for instance) it could have warranted application of law 12C1(b) because it was unrelated to the infraction.

#28 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2014-May-16, 11:23

View Postnige1, on 2014-May-15, 10:08, said:

IMO
  • If you anchor to the weaker suit then LAs are 2 = 10, 2 = 8, Pass = 7, 2 = 6.

You have four spades and five hearts. You have a bid which shows four spades and five hearts. It's not remotely logical to make a bid that shows five spades and four hearts, or a bid that shows a one-suiter in hearts.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#29 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me

Posted 2014-May-16, 13:29

View Postgnasher, on 2014-May-16, 11:23, said:

You have four spades and five hearts. You have a bid which shows four spades and five hearts. It's not remotely logical to make a bid that shows five spades and four hearts, or a bid that shows a one-suiter in hearts.
IMO, an LA need not be the most logical call. In a strict sense, you might expect there to be only one logical call. e.g. here, pass might be the only logical call, for jallerton. But ordinary players like the pollees and myself may consider other calls. Such calls might seem ludicrous to gnasher but "logical" to our feeble minds.

#30 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2014-May-16, 14:35

View Postnige1, on 2014-May-16, 13:29, said:

IMO, an LA need not be the most logical call.

That's quite true. In fact, it doesn't have to be logical at all. It merely has to pass the test "would be given serious consideration by a significant proportion of such players, of whom it is judged some might select it".

In a strict sense, you might expect there to be only one logical call. e.g. here, pass might be the only logical call, for jallerton. But ordinary players like the pollees and myself may consider other calls. Such calls might seem ludicrous to gnasher but "logical" to our feeble minds.

That's not sufficient to make it a logical alternative. For 2 or 2 to be an LA, there has to be a possibility that they'd actually bid it, knowing that there was an alternative call which accurately describes your hand. So, might you choose 2 or 2? If not, do you know anyone who might?

[Edited to the extent that it's unrecognisable as the child of the earlier post.]

This post has been edited by gnasher: 2014-May-16, 15:00

... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#31 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me

Posted 2014-May-16, 15:22

View Postgnasher, on 2014-May-16, 14:35, said:

That's not sufficient to make it a logical alternative. For 2 or 2 to be an LA, there has to be a possibility that they'd actually bid it, knowing that there was an alternative call which accurately describes your hand. So, might you choose 2 or 2? If not, do you know anyone who might?
I chose 2. I judged that some might choose other calls. Hence, I deemed them LAs. But I didn't conduct a poll. It seems that the director gave pollees a choice between passing and bidding.

It's hard to judge LAs. In Magazine bidding competitions, some expert panellists choose actions that are hard to understand.

In any case, others have pointed out that the definition of LA should be widened to include seemingly illogical alternatives.

For example, here, nobody suggested double as an LA. Had double been chosen, however, the director might treat it as an "LA" suggested by partner's bidding-box performance.

#32 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-17, 02:34

In my poll I asked players what they would bid with the East hand, and once they had answered, whether they thought bidding was suggested over passing by the knowledge that partner had an opening bid. (They were the sort of people who would know what this meant.) I wasn't convinced that it was, but the players I consulted were. I suppose it depends how likely partner is to make a jump or forcing response. I'm not quite sure why he did on the actual hand, I wondered whether it was an odd attempt to hang his own side after committing an infraction.

I like your procedure. My previous reply said what the UI suggested to me, but for this ruling, you as TD have to decide what the UI suggested to this particular East player.

I consider the failure to find the trump lead to be an error, but it is nowhere close to being a serious error. Serious errors are things like revokes and
"blatantly ridiculous calls or plays, such as ducking the setting trick against a slam, or opening a weak NT with a 20-count." (to quote the White Book).

#33 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-17, 02:41

View Postgnasher, on 2014-May-16, 11:23, said:

You must be used to Nigel's marking scheme by now. Nigel always gives high marks to his 2nd, 3rd (and 4th) choices, trying to simulate the marks that might be awarded in a magazine problem. He's not as far out as you think, because in magazine panels the respondents often haven't read the system and tend to guess what the system is or even just assume that their own favourite system is in use.

Of course, I agree that when assessing logical alternatives we need to know the player's knowledge of the methods in use.

#34 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-May-17, 22:55

View Postnige1, on 2014-May-16, 15:22, said:

In any case, others have pointed out that the definition of LA should be widened to include seemingly illogical alternatives.

For example, here, nobody suggested double as an LA. Had double been chosen, however, the director might treat it as an "LA" suggested by partner's bidding-box performance.

Regulators declared that the action chosen by the player in question is always considered an LA mainly to prevent them from using random or gambling bids as a loophole in the UI laws. "But the bid I chose wasn't even an LA, so how could I have violated the law against choosing amongst LAs?"

#35 User is online   blackshoe 

Posted 2014-May-18, 11:47

If a player chooses a completely off the wall call, isn't that a psych? Aren't psychs legal, even in the presence of UI? (I don't see how UI "demonstrably could suggest" a psych/)

Absent my knowledge of some of the idiosyncrasies (like this one) of the lawmakers, I would (and did, on first reading years ago) assume that "from among logical alternatives" means exactly what it says. The lawmakers have had ample opportunity to change the wording if they intended some other meaning. Instead they've applied this "fudge". Pfui. They should get their act together.
--------------------

#36 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2014-May-18, 14:56

View Postblackshoe, on 2014-May-18, 11:47, said:

If a player chooses a completely off the wall call, isn't that a psych? Aren't psychs legal, even in the presence of UI?

Not if the psych is suggested by the UI.

(I don't see how UI "demonstrably could suggest" a psych/)

Why not? If partner gives you the UI that he has a weak hand with a lot of hearts and short spades, that demonstrably suggests psyching a spade bid.

#37 User is online   blackshoe 

Posted 2014-May-18, 16:16

View Postgnasher, on 2014-May-18, 14:56, said:

Not if the psych is suggested by the UI.

Why not? If partner gives you the UI that he has a weak hand with a lot of hearts and short spades, that demonstrably suggests psyching a spade bid.

Not to me it doesn't. What's your logic?
--------------------

#38 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me

Posted 2014-May-18, 16:27

View Postbarmar, on 2014-May-17, 22:55, said:

Regulators declared that the action chosen by the player in question is always considered an LA mainly to prevent them from using random or gambling bids as a loophole in the UI laws. "But the bid I chose wasn't even an LA, so how could I have violated the law against choosing amongst LAs?"
Excellent, Barmar :) Is this an amendment to the Law or is it a matter of local regulation? Please supply a reference/link.

#39 User is online   blackshoe 

Posted 2014-May-18, 17:09

View Postnige1, on 2014-May-18, 16:27, said:

Excellent, Barmar :) Is this an amendment to the Law or is it a matter of local regulation? Please supply a reference/link.

I suspect it is neither, but perhaps Barry has access to information which I do not. It is, however, an interpretation given to me by Grattan Endicott on either blml or rgb some years ago.
--------------------

#40 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2014-May-19, 01:12

View Postnige1, on 2014-May-18, 16:27, said:

It's in a WBFLC minute from Philadelphia in 2010:

http://www.bridge-ve...lc_philadelphia

Item 3.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users