BBO Discussion Forums: Alternative Structure Idea for Overcalling One Club - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Alternative Structure Idea for Overcalling One Club

#1 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2014-May-09, 10:16

In thinking through some things, it occurred to me that the GCC allows what might be an interesting alternative for overcalling One Club openings, even "natural" ones. The structure:

1. 2NT overcall = Unusual for Minors

2. 2 overcall = "Michaels" for majors

3. 2 Cuebid = Weak, with (a) one-suited diamonds, or (b) two-suited with a major and diamonds.

I won't insult by explain the follow-ups, which seem obvious.

Any thoughts on this structure?

"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#2 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-09, 11:51

I worry slightly about the ambiguity over whether 2C has a major and if so which one, particularly if partner is a non-passed hand. But I guess you can't have everything.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#3 User is offline   MickyB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-09, 12:04

I don't see how the 2C bid would work. This seems worse than playing 2C S+D, 2D majors.

#4 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-May-09, 13:23

the 2C overcall seems messy..

how aboud instead
2C = weak D or majors
2D = weak D + major

#5 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-09, 13:45

View Postwhereagles, on 2014-May-09, 13:23, said:

the 2C overcall seems messy..

how aboud instead
2C = weak D or majors
2D = weak D + major

That's obviously much better... except that it isn't GCC legal (in the ACBL) which was a condition to the problem.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#6 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-12, 10:46

If we are going to include the major+minor hands in 2 then it seems better to me to play that Wilkosz style and keep the wjo in diamonds. That leaves 2NT for the minors and 3 for the majors.

I have looked at a range of structures involving moving the wjo in diamonds into 2 and my feeling is that you just end up not gaining very much, if anything. It works out better including one or both major suit wjos here instead. Since only one is possible under GCC rules that should be the least effective - hearts - leaving the more effective 2 and 2 natural. Putting it all together and making it legal:

2 = weak with hearts, or both majors
2 = nat
2 = +
2 = nat
2NT = +another (or just minors if you do not care about M+)
3 = +

But is it really worth going through the GCC hoops just to be able to overcall in their suit? Probably not and there are plenty of reasonable GCC-legal schemes around when these are excluded.
(-: Zel :-)

#7 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-12, 10:53

I like a more standard approach, although 2C as possibly 4S/5H with a 2D advance asking partner to rebid 2S with a 5/5 solves a problem that standard has.

If I have 5D/5C I can overcall 1D and then bid clubs. I think I'd rather use 2N for the reds.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users