• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A Gib hand with a fatal error

#1 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-May-12, 03:56

Here there is a fatal error :
After 1,Gib E rebid 1nt showing 18-19hcp only with 11hcp in fact,and there is not any stopper in ,very strange.

#2 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-12, 09:38

I see two problems here:
(1) East, on this particular hand, has an easy Pass over 1 since he's not interested in game with 11 opposite a passed hand.
(2) The system seems to have a hole, since East could hold KJxx, AKx, Axxx, xx. With this hand he would double 1, but then would not want to give up the possibility of game after pard's 1, and would be somewhat stuck for a rebid.

#3 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2014-May-12, 11:28

Bbradley62 said:

0' post='793445']
I see two problems here:
(1) East, on this particular hand, has an easy Pass over 1 since he's not interested in game with 11 opposite a passed hand.
(2) The system seems to have a hole, since East could hold KJxx, AKx, Axxx, xx. With this hand he would double 1, but then would not want to give up the possibility of game after pard's 1, and would be somewhat stuck for a rebid.

(1)-D-(1)-D would be 4-4 in majors so 1 is 4+ and doesn't have 4 unless weak with 5

but I see your point over (1)-D-(Pass)-1-(Pass)

now 1 should be 4 NF and 2 is big hand with . with only 4 and big hand you cuebid.

Sarcasm is a state of mind

#4 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-May-12, 11:30

View PostBbradley62, on 2014-May-12, 09:38, said:

Personally I think that he SHOULD give up on the possibility of game if partner can bid nothing more encouraging than 1H. But I suppose that is rather beside the point, in that doubler need not be much stronger to show interest, regardless of whether or not you agree with me.

Just out of interest, what call do you recommend that doubler should make to show this hand?

Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#5 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-May-12, 12:15

View Post1eyedjack, on 2014-May-12, 11:30, said:

Just out of interest, what call do you recommend that doubler should make to show this hand?
I think I'm making this up as I go along, but it might be 1NT. If a direct 1NT is 15-18 with a club stopper, then this might show 15-18 without, on the theory that an unrebid club suit by opener is unlikely to be running very far. A hand that was too strong for a direct 1NT can do something more aggressive.

#6 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2014-May-12, 21:36

View Post1eyedjack, on 2014-May-12, 11:30, said:

Personally I think that he SHOULD give up on the possibility of game if partner can bid nothing more encouraging than 1H. But I suppose that is rather beside the point, in that doubler need not be much stronger to show interest, regardless of whether or not you agree with me.

after (1)-X-(1)-1 with that nice hand I pass. there is no game

Sarcasm is a state of mind

#7 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-May-13, 09:04

Should the upper limit of West's 1 be lower than 12total, allowing East to pass more comfortably with a non-minimum double?

#8 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-May-13, 10:03

View PostBbradley62, on 2014-May-13, 09:04, said:

Should the upper limit of West's 1 be lower than 12total, allowing East to pass more comfortably with a non-minimum double?

My view is that a limit jump response opposite the double should be about the same strength as without the further intervention over the double, and that a non-jump bid is then has an upper strength limited by failure to jump. The only difference from an uncontested auction is that I would expect 1H to have a lower limit that is rather higher than the 0TP required for a forced response in an uncontested auction.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users