BBO Discussion Forums: Plan the bidding: AKTxxx KT Qx AKJ - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Plan the bidding: AKTxxx KT Qx AKJ 2/1, IMPs, 3rd seat white vs red

Poll: Plan the bidding: AKTxxx KT Qx AKJ (29 member(s) have cast votes)

What will you open?

1. 1S (25 votes [86.21%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 86.21%

2. 2C (3 votes [10.34%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.34%

3. 2N (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. 4S (0 votes [0.00%])

5. Other (1 votes [3.45%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.45%

If you open 1S, partner bids 1N (NF). What do you bid next?

1. 2S (0 votes [0.00%])

2. 3S (0 votes [0.00%])

3. 4S (0 votes [0.00%])

4. 2N (18-19) (0 votes [0.00%])

5. 3N (18 votes [62.07%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 62.07%

6. 2C (1 votes [3.45%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.45%

7. 3C (10 votes [34.48%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 34.48%

8. Other (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-May-08, 08:48

View Poststeve2005, on 2014-May-08, 08:30, said:

this hand makes game with 3 small spades and 2 Q's or Qx and another Q, amongst other hands where you could be playing in 1

It might. Give p Qx and another queen and we still need a finese. Give p xxx of spades, Q and Q and we need spades to break. And with such a hand p might not pass 1. I think that if it goes 1-p-p-p, on balance I will be happy that I didn't open 2. Give p Jx and one outside jack and I make 7 or 8 tricks.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#22 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2014-May-08, 09:17

Since we are getting into non-standard treatments, my personal preference (which is relevant to solving the problem) is as follows:

1. 1-P-1NT-P-3new = 5-5 hand with 5 losers, typically lower in HCP than a jump shift (obviously) and non-forcing

2. 1-P-1NT-P-3 = long, strong, non-forcing

3. 1-P-1NT-P-2NT = game forcing soft relay to 3. Responder can break the relay, but after the relay (if his choice), I bid a new suit naturally, or 3NT if I had clubs, or repeat spades as long (6+) and forcing.

4. 1-P-1NT-P-2 = semi-forcing, possibly with clubs possibly with a problem hand. The problem hands might be some player 6-4 hands or might be the 18-count balanced hand with five spades.

5. 1-P-1NT-P-3NT = "gambling" style, meaning as solid spade suit

Using this approach, opening One Spade works fine. I rebid 2NT and then 3. The 2NT rebid gets out of the way if partner wants to act, as does a forcing 3.

"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#23 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2014-May-08, 09:20

Yes yes but did I remember correctly about your 6-5 fit in 3NT??
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#24 User is offline   GBinUS 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-May-13, 07:59

View Postkenrexford, on 2014-May-08, 07:24, said:

I am dealt a balanced 20-count with six spades. I have a lot of controls, and my spade trick source is great. My Qx in diamonds is the only real deduction. Thus, I value the hand as worth about 22 as a balanced hand. Expressing that with a 1 opening and 3NT rebid is, IMO, sick.

On top of that, the 1...3NT sequence essentially eliminates partner from the auction, as he likely will have no way to show anything useful.

Contrast this with a 3 rebid. That sequence at least allows partner to say something in a red suit or even show something in spades low enough to make some noise of some variety.

A 2NT opening sounds somewhat acceptable, except that the hand seems too strong for that. If I was going in that direction, I would start with 2 and then show the 22+ balanced hand, perhaps by way of Kokish.

My personal preference is 1...3.

I agree with your theory. The problem is that when I bid this way, my ox opposite bids 3NT and I have reduced my RHO's possible wrong leads by 33%!

So if I bid 1 -1NT-3NT, I'm slightly disgusted by my bidding, but I have allowed the opponents to lead from three suits rather than two. Leaving my opponents an extra wrong option looks OK.

#25 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2014-May-13, 08:18

Even if you assume that your opponent will lead literally face down (1/13 for any card), their odds of leading a spade are greatly reduced when we have 6 of them. Imagine if they are even allowed to look at their cards then?
      George Carlin

#26 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2014-May-13, 08:58

It is not only that we have 6 spades in our hand, it is also that we told OLer about them during the auction. Of course if we forget to tell the opps about that it might help a little bit...
(-: Zel :-)

#27 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2014-May-13, 09:10

View PostZelandakh, on 2014-May-13, 08:58, said:

It is not only that we have 6 spades in our hand, it is also that we told OLer about them during the auction. Of course if we forget to tell the opps about that it might help a little bit...

My point was this: the chance of getting a spade lead after, say, 2NT-3NT is not 25%, not even if we assume LHO leads a random card. So opening with 1 will not reduce their margin for error that much. Admittedly, there are some cases like where RHO gets in and leads up to dummy's weakness but it still shouldn't happen that much, assuming opps also look at their hands and their partners' signals...
      George Carlin

#28 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-May-13, 09:12

The "leakage prevention" motive is certainly stylish in BBF. Maybe one player of a partnership should just open the bidding with the final contract based on his a-priori guess. It would save a lot of effort making up system cards and eliminate disclosure.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#29 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-May-13, 10:44

View Posthrothgar, on 2014-May-07, 07:35, said:

As Roth famously said, if I survive this bid...

Famous last words?

#30 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2014-May-13, 12:07

View PostGBinUS, on 2014-May-13, 07:59, said:

I agree with your theory. The problem is that when I bid this way, my ox opposite bids 3NT and I have reduced my RHO's possible wrong leads by 33%!

So if I bid 1 -1NT-3NT, I'm slightly disgusted by my bidding, but I have allowed the opponents to lead from three suits rather than two. Leaving my opponents an extra wrong option looks OK.

Despite a lot of talk about reducing by 1/4 and not 1/3, which is bizarre, your comment seems to suggest that I have dissuaded a club lead.

On that theory, I love a 3 call when I don't want a club lead.

But, I think you are missing something. If partner correctly explains that 3 is often a manufactured jump shift and thus says nothing about clubs necessarily, not lead a club against MY 3 is surely not a 33% proposition, eh?

"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users