BBO Discussion Forums: Fav vul, great fit + 5 of opps' trumps - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Fav vul, great fit + 5 of opps' trumps What's your plan with this hand

#1 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-April-28, 09:31

IMPs, white vs red

If it matters, South bid 2 then, while you were pondering whether it's worth making noise with your hand, she asked undo and changed her bid to 2. This may or may not mean anything - online tournament, she could have been checking cat pix on FB and genuinely misclicked.

The bidding then proceeds as shown above. Now what?

#2 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-April-28, 09:58

View Postdiana_eva, on 2014-April-28, 09:31, said:

IMPs, white vs red

If it matters, South bid 2 then, while you were pondering whether it's worth making noise with your hand, she asked undo and changed her bid to 2. This may or may not mean anything - online tournament, she could have been checking cat pix on FB and genuinely misclicked.

The bidding then proceeds as shown above. Now what?

The auction is 'impossible'. I would seriously consider never playing with partner again.

However, maybe I lost a bet, or maybe my partner got confused with his medication this evening, and I am stuck with him, or her.

Anyway, I have the world's easiest 5 call. Yes, I see my 5 dead spades, but I can't necessarily beat 7!

Note, I just made up a hand very quickly, and am not suggesting the hand makes sense, but you can tweak it easily enough to be more consistent with the auction and still give you no defence.

As for my giving East those clubs, and passing 1, well, he has bid in an impossible fashion so it would be silly to try to create a hand where passing and then bidding makes sense...it doesn't exist.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#3 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-28, 11:06

On the surface you could get rich by successfully pumping the 5-card spade suit in clubs.

On the clues the pump is going to come from the short trumps or even if the clubs are 2-1 they can just pitch once and be in strong favorites to make the contract.

Partner passed first with obviously short spades so they aren't loaded but a 5 bid should show a profit (doubled) and have a chance to defend 5 -1.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#4 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-28, 12:13

What if the bid 5? Pass that or still sac to 6 ? How about 6 ?

I'm curious to know how to think about this hand. Needless to say I got it wrong at the table, but before posting the whole hand I'd like to understand more about what I should be taking into account in such a situation.

#5 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-April-28, 13:26

View Postdiana_eva, on 2014-April-28, 12:13, said:

I'm curious to know how to think about this hand. Needless to say I got it wrong at the table, but before posting the whole hand I'd like to understand more about what I should be taking into account in such a situation.

I wouldn't bother: it is possible that I may change my mind when you show us partner's hand, but until and unless that happens, I simply wouldn't worry about how to deal with this sort of auction. Partner's action is insane. All you know about the hand is that partner has done something fundamentally wrong...and you cannot possibly expect to be able to guess what he has for his action, which in turn means you cannot work out what you ought to do. Your partner has donned the superman cape....let him work it out, since he obviously doesn't see bridge as a partnership game.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#6 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-28, 13:37

View Postdiana_eva, on 2014-April-28, 12:13, said:

I'm never taking a sac in 6 with no assurance that I can beat anything they might bid over it. I'm trying to defend at the 5 level or show a profit (or small loss) in 5 doubled.

The opponents have bid to game and only game at this point.

I might score the K on defense and other possibilities make sacking at the 6 level leading with your chin way too often. 7 right now is a hail mary, 6 is most likely to force them to do the right thing and 5 followed by a further dive if they bid on is the same lurk and do it later tactic that your partner has used and it doesn't work.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#7 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-28, 14:26

Thanks for the replies. So it was OK to be confused because of that weird 4 bid, but the correct thing to do was to bid 5.

I passed because opp thought for a very long time before bidding 4, which made me think her original 2 was not a misclick. Looking at my hand, it seemed like they can make 5 or 6 diamonds, but I might have a small chance to beat 4 or at least have them play in their worse fit.

Full hand:

2 tables bid and made 6 over 5. 3 tables sacrificed in clubs and played there (one actually made 5 on a spade lead). Everyone else was in 4 making overtricks because their opps missed the club fit or didn't take the sac to 5.

#8 User is offline   mikeh 

Posted 2014-April-28, 14:40

Your fav vul partner had no way of showing hearts and a minor over 1?

Weird. If I wasn't allowed to show a 2-suiter, I would have overcalled 2, intending to show or imply hearts later (via a bid of some number of notrump, but I suspect that if I wasn't able to play Michaels I probably couldn't know or risk notrump later to show a red suit)

#9 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-28, 14:44

View Postmikeh, on 2014-April-28, 14:40, said:

Your fav vul partner had no way of showing hearts and a minor over 1?

Weird. If I wasn't allowed to show a 2-suiter, I would have overcalled 2, intending to show or imply hearts later (via a bid of some number of notrump, but I suspect that if I wasn't able to play Michaels I probably couldn't know or risk notrump later to show a red suit)

Oh he could, we play michaels. I have no idea why he bid that way, but he is a good and trustworthy partner 99% of the time, so I did not even think his bid was that weird at that time. I am very used to trust he knows what he is doing hence my post here, focusing on where did I go wrong. Didn't occur to me he went wrong until you pointed it out LOL.

#10 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-April-29, 13:17

Some people don't just automatically overcall with suitable hands. What's going on in their minds is beyond me, but I see it from time to time.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users