BBO Discussion Forums: tray regulation for play with screens? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

tray regulation for play with screens?

#1 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-May-04, 20:47

i'm just wondering if there's normally a regulation concerning what should be done with the tray after the bidding. this country probably just thieves its screen regulations from the ebl or wbf rather than writing their own.

it wasn't a very exciting situation, but my bulgarian lho was getting irate that I wasn't removing the tray. i prefer to keep it on the table, but i evidently didn't feel so strongly as him, so i said he could do what he liked with it. what he liked to do with it was actually nothing - he wanted me to remove it for him, which considering i didn't want to remove it all was rather annoying. i assumed he was just being a dick, but then later it occurred to me that maybe i was shirking my duties (we were north/south).

#2 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-05, 04:45

I don't know the rules but tbh I don't like the tray at the table also. It distracts me. But if you told me to do whatever i want to do with it, I would not mind removing it each hand myself.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#3 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-05, 07:30

When I joined BBO long ago I end up thinking the regulatins of a certain country said that when a middle honor was led, it was like a stop card and you should stop to think regardless of being able to cover or not. Turned out they were all cheating instead.

#4 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-05, 09:11

When I see Levin/Weinstein on video, Bobby gets rid of and puts back the tray regardless of his position. Regardless of who should or should not be doing it, your LHO was a dick.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#5 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-05, 09:16

I don't think there is anything in the regulations, but that it is a matter of habit. In the Netherlands, I have never seen anybody removing the tray. In some other countries, it seems to be normal to remove the tray.

My guess is that it depends on the size of the tray and the table. Whenever I play with screens in the Netherlands, big tables are used (I guess 1 m x 1 m, perhaps bigger) with an equally big side table for boards, drinks, convention cards, score cards, etc.. On top of that, the tables have a "drawer" where you can put bidding boxes, a note pad and a drink.

If you would play at a smaller table, there may not be enough room to put the dummy, or the dummy may not be visible to all players.

In short, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#6 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-May-05, 10:25

View PostFluffy, on 2014-May-05, 07:30, said:

When I joined BBO long ago I end up thinking the regulatins of a certain country said that when a middle honor was led, it was like a stop card and you should stop to think regardless of being able to cover or not. Turned out they were all cheating instead.

Is this the thread you intended to post this reply in?

#7 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-06, 15:24

The WBF and EBL regulations don't discuss what happens to the tray once the play starts, so your opponent's belief was incorrect.

Some Norths think they have the right to refuse to have the tray removed. That's also not supported by the regulations.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users