BBO Discussion Forums: Undiscussed, how do you understand this bid? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Undiscussed, how do you understand this bid?

#1 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-April-29, 05:33

1 P 5

Assume you have reasonably detailed system elsewhere but have never discussed this auction (or any 'unnecessary' jump to 5M). What would you expect from responder? Does it make a difference if your 1 is

a) SAYC, 5+
b) Acol, 4+
c) Strong C (either 4+ or 5+), limited to about 15HCP
d) Fantunes, 5+ and about 15+ points

?
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#2 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-April-29, 06:05

I made this bid twice in a sayc context and meant it as a preempt . This was years ago, I had beginner in profile and everyone at the table was so confused that it got passed out for a great score. Looking back, I don't know if it *should* be a preempt.

#3 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-29, 06:24

Please bid slam with good trumps.

hmm .. that is still strange for such a direct jump to 5.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#4 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2014-April-29, 06:35

It's a "new partner ask", answers are

7 = I know a person who would be a good new partner for me, and I even know one who could become your next partner.
6NT = I know a person who would be a good new partner for me, and you are gonna be dumped.
6 = There's a guy who could play with either of us, I hope he picks me.
Pass = *****it we are stuck with one another. :(
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#5 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2014-April-29, 06:53

View Postbillw55, on 2014-April-29, 06:24, said:

Please bid slam with good trumps.

hmm .. that is still strange for such a direct jump to 5.

if you just want good trump you can do a forcing raise, do some cuebidding then keycard, or exclusion keycard with a void.

This has to be a freak hand where the opponents might preempt your auction and spoil you nice clean auction. Also should be a hand with no losers outside of trump and wants to play in 6 if you have A or K and 7 with A & K

something like

void Qxxxx AKQxxxx A or void Jxxxx AKQxxxxx void

I ve seen similar meanings given to direct 5 of suit openings
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#6 User is offline   Kungsgeten 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-April-29, 06:56

I would take it as asking for honors in hearts. Its a very distributional hand, probably with 4 card support, and lacking top honors in hearts. Perhaps something like:

---
Qxxx
A
AKQxxxxx

I hope partner will bid slam with A or K and grand with both (basically like opening 5H directly, but with a fit).

#7 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-29, 07:02

If it's asking for H honours, how would the hand differ from one that could bid 5N or EKCB?

#8 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2014-April-29, 07:59

View PostJinksy, on 2014-April-29, 07:02, said:

If it's asking for H honours, how would the hand differ from one that could bid 5N or EKCB?

p could have QJxxx so would pass 5, 5N grand slam force you would be in slam off AK

EKCB could work in some cases but what if you have 2 voids. Also EKCB pinpoints a potential sacrifice.

Sarcasm is a state of mind

#9 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-April-29, 08:05

Undiscussed bids are natural, so this is some sort of general slam try.

Some play that voluntary 5-level raises have the nuts (or thereabouts) outside, and request only trump assistance. Maybe pard is playing this.

#10 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2014-April-29, 08:49

The "traditional" meaning of this bid is as has been described above - a hand with all winners outside of hearts, long trump support but missing the top heart honors. Opener is to set the contract at 5, 6 or 7 based solely on his trump holding. The concern is that you may be off 2 trump tricks. A typical holding for responder would be Jxxxx (or perhaps Jxxxxx if playing 4 card majors).

Given the number of ways we now have to find out about partner's trump honors, it probably makes more sense for the jump to the 5 level to be totally preemptive. It certainly comes up more often than the grand slam try raise to the 5 level (remember, "more often" is a relative term).

I wouldn't lose much sleep over this.

By the way, (and with all due respect, whereagles), the idea that a jump from 1 to 5 is a "general slam try" is really nuts. It is a shame that there was no room to explore for slam between the one level and the five level.

#11 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2014-April-29, 09:18

This reminds me of a vugraph hand from Townsend-Gold recorded on BBO some years back. One of them (I think Townsend) opened 2 and the other raised to 5. After a very long pause opener passed. When dummy appeared and it became clear that this was indeed preemptive opener remarked to partner something to the effect of "Not Josephine then". If world class players (they were England's best pair at the time) can be unsure about an auctin like this, and for my money the weak 2 auction is clearer than this one, then it is ok for the rest of us. To that end I agree with Michael, making this bid is a marionette to a new partner.

As for how to take it, I agree 100% with whereagles and come to the opposite conclusion. For me natural here means to play, therefore primarily preemptive. The "general slam try" hand can surely make a forcing raise followed by rebidding 5 if you feel you need such a call.
(-: Zel :-)

#12 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-29, 09:35

Interesting. I was the criminal in question, and reasoned that since we had stuff like EKCB, Jacoby, splinters, possibly Josephine or other GF bids followed by 5 etc that it had to be preemptive. I also figured that since after 1 P, 2, 3, 4, 6 and 7 are all to play and (except 2) preemptive, 5 would naturally fit into the pattern.

The 1 opening was a Fantunes bid, my hand as responder (favourable) was x QJxxxx QJTxx x.

#13 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-29, 09:50

Yay! I win LOL. So partner wasn't on the same page, or why did you post the question?

#14 User is offline   ArtK78 

• Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2014-April-29, 09:59

Making this kind of call opposite a Fantunes 1 opening bid is probably more dangerous than in any other system, as the 1 bid is unlimited. Furthermore, it is a sound opening, so there is less need for preemption.

#15 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-29, 10:19

View Postdiana_eva, on 2014-April-29, 09:50, said:

Yay! I win LOL. So partner wasn't on the same page, or why did you post the question?

Nope, P took it as some kind of slam try and raised to 7 missing a cashing ace.

#16 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-29, 10:21

View PostArtK78, on 2014-April-29, 09:59, said:

Making this kind of call opposite a Fantunes 1 opening bid is probably more dangerous than in any other system, as the 1 bid is unlimited. Furthermore, it is a sound opening, so there is less need for preemption.

I agree it's more dangerous, but so far no-one's argued that it should have a wholly different meaning in different bidding systems. I've had plenty of auctions where the opps owned the hand after a Fantunes 1 bid (admittedly it's quite rare after a 1), and looking at the offence:defence ratio of my hand this looked highly likely to be one of them.

#17 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2014-April-29, 12:51

This reminds me of an auction from years ago. I opened 2, which showed at least 5-5 in the majors with exactly a 5-loser hand. We counted losers, not HCP.

Anyway, I had QJ10-sixth in both majors, and a small stiff. This might not be GCC legal, but I did it anyway.

Partner's response, after a takeout double, was to tank for a long time and then leap to five of one of the majors. I of course passed, but I wondered what he had. As it turned out, he had exactly three cover cards and no possible source for a fourth cover, maybe 4-3-3-3 shape with Ace-King-King in my suits? I cannot recall the exact hand. His meaning was that we must have 11 tricks, no matter what. No more, no less. No chance of more. No chance of less. But, we knew not how much defense we had. As it turns out, thinking it through, we have no minor tricks in a minor contract and can only take as many major tricks as their combined length of shortest majors allows. I don't recall what they could make, but our result was good, if weird.

"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#18 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-April-29, 13:14

View PostArtK78, on 2014-April-29, 08:49, said:

By the way, (and with all due respect, whereagles), the idea that a jump from 1 to 5 is a "general slam try" is really nuts. It is a shame that there was no room to explore for slam between the one level and the five level.

No offense taken. Besides, I only said "some play".. I didn't say I agree with it, and indeed I don't :)

#19 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-29, 15:19

View PostKungsgeten, on 2014-April-29, 06:56, said:

I would take it as asking for honors in hearts. Its a very distributional hand, probably with 4 card support, and lacking top honors in hearts. Perhaps something like:

---
Qxxx
A
AKQxxxxx

I hope partner will bid slam with A or K and grand with both (basically like opening 5H directly, but with a fit).

Agree 100%. I believe this is taught in Bridge 201 or 301 B-) With a void, key card Blackwood won't help you unless partner unexpectedly shows up with all the outstanding key cards. Exclusion Blackwood in spades would solve the problem, but how do you get there from here? You are highly unlikely to have an agreement about exclusion Blackwood if you don't know what a raise to 5 is supposed to be.

#20 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-29, 17:02

View Postjohnu, on 2014-April-29, 15:19, said:

Agree 100%. I believe this is taught in Bridge 201 or 301 B-) With a void, key card Blackwood won't help you unless partner unexpectedly shows up with all the outstanding key cards. Exclusion Blackwood in spades would solve the problem, but how do you get there from here? You are highly unlikely to have an agreement about exclusion Blackwood if you don't know what a raise to 5 is supposed to be.

No, you got it wrong. The bid was made in partnership that had enough agreements about slam bidding, forcing bids, exclusion etc. so that opener might have figured out this was to play and not a slam try. It would be foolish to try it with a random indeed, but it wasn't the case here.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users