Another big 2-suiter Debate on bidding these hand types

#1 User is offline   32519 

• Insane 2-Diamond Bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Books, bridge, philately

Posted 2014-May-03, 02:02

This time you are dealer and pick up up AQJTxx K AKxxxx --

The first issue is what to open? These 6-6 hands, with plenty of playing tricks, but not quite enough high card values, have been debated for years. Open 2 and hope not to be pre-empted out of bidding both of your suits, or start with a quiet 1 and hope to be able to get across the powerful potential of the hand later?

Suppose you open 2-partner responds 2, you 2, and partner raises to 3, showing a hand that is better than a jump to 4. You cue-bid 4 but partner shows no interest, signing off in 4. What now?

#2 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-May-03, 02:29

After partner raises to 3 you're all set. You can follow one of three strategies:

1. Bid a straight 6. This is probably the percentage bid, so there.

2. Bid 5 exclusion blackwood. You need to have this agreed though.

3. Bid 4. If partner manages to come up with a 4 bid (must be the ace), bid 7 (it hangs at most on the spade finesse). Else bid 6.

#3 User is offline   inquiry 

• Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2014-May-03, 09:14

I don't like opening these hands 2 with hands like this, so I would open 3 as Misiry convention showing either preempt in hearts or strong two suiter including diamonds and one of the two black suits, It works, when the second hand is shown, we will see how well or poorly Misiry would have worked. The misery method is posted and I have a PDF on it that was in one of the homebase newsletters.

--Ben--

#4 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-03, 12:51

Assuming p had the ability to splinter 4d over 2s we know p
has 2+ diamonds. We have a sure heart loser a possible spade \
loser and a question in diamonds. Too many possible problems
for 6 to be a decent call w/o more investigation but is there
any decent way to proceed???

The 5 level is not safe and that is the problem with trying to
make any further investigative bids. Since it is reasonable for
p to have the spade K is there any way to sanely look for a way
to avoid a dia loser???? If there is one I do not have it in my
arsenal so I would end up meekly

passing 4s

and just hope p does not have a miracle hand for us.

#5 User is offline   silvr bull 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-May-03, 22:48

I prefer to open this 1. The opps or partner must have s, and it is easy for one of them to bid over 1. If I get another opportunity to bid after opening 1, the opps cannot preempt me out of showing the suit. If I open 1 instead, then there is too much risk that the hand may be passed out, or the opps might preempt in or high enough to make it impossible to show the suit. I have had too much bad luck with opening a two suited hand 2, so I just don't do that anymore. Imagine opening this 2, and hearing partner respond 3, or double on your left and 4 or 5 on your right! This could easily be our slam hand in , and opening 1 will make it much easier to find it.

#6 User is offline   32519 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-04, 01:32

View Postinquiry, on 2014-May-03, 09:14, said:

I don't like opening these hands 2 with hands like this, so I would open 3 as Misiry convention showing either preempt in hearts or strong two suiter including diamonds and one of the two black suits.

I had a brief look at Misilry. With a big 2-suiter you start off by bidding the lower suit as a transfer into a suit that you don't have. Partner is expected to complete the transfer allowing opener to bid the higher ranking suit. Opener has now managed to show both his suits on level-3. But how does Mislry get out in 3 with the North hand? The North hand is almost useless outside of a heart contract, whereas the South hand can take tricks in both clubs and spades. Mislry forces the contract to 3 or to the 4-level in either clubs or hearts. Neither have any chance. In fact 3 should also fail on a heart lead.

#7 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2014-May-04, 01:48

View Post32519, on 2014-May-04, 01:32, said:

I had a brief look at Misilry. With a big 2-suiter you start off by bidding the lower suit as a transfer into a suit that you don't have. Partner is expected to complete the transfer allowing opener to bid the higher ranking suit. Opener has now managed to show both his suits on level-3. But how does Mislry get out in 3 with the North hand? The North hand is almost useless outside of a heart contract, whereas the South hand can take tricks in both clubs and spades. Mislry forces the contract to 3 or to the 4-level in either clubs or hearts. Neither have any chance. In fact 3 should also fail on a heart lead.

I see 6 losers in 3H. Why on earth would you want to get out in 3H?If you open 1S or 2C how can you stop in 3H?
If Nth opens how can you stop in 3H? Please don't post nonsense.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#8 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-04, 01:55

1- I open 1,and then going to jump bid 3.I view this hand optimistically that it will be easy to get 12 tricks if any one suit have good fit ,so it need us to save space so as to show the feature of this hand holding carefully.
2- I don't open strong 2,two-suited hands forbid 2C.Opening 2 is very strong and is almost forcing to game.we can't open 2 with 2-suited hands because of the lack of space available to adequately describe the hand.

#9 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2014-May-04, 23:00

View Post32519, on 2014-May-04, 01:32, said:

Lets handle this hand and a hand with diamonds and hearts reversed.

With diamonds and hearts reversed, you bid 3NT knowing your partner will bid again. He will be alert to the possibility you hold this hand. You will then insist on diamonds as well as you can by diamonds over his 4 call.

With hearts, you do almost the same thing. You bid 3, which is "new suit forcing" but can be very weak and very long hearts like here. Partner is only allowed to riase your suit with the weak hand or rebid his long suit if he is weak. Opener will show his strong hand and what his two suits are, and you will rebid 4 telling him that you have long hearts, weak hand, and no fit for his suits. IT is all described in the method. For instance, check section III When responder bids his own suit at this link http://inquiry2over1...s-strong-2.html (way down the page). I can email you the old homebase article on Misiry if you are really interested.
--Ben--

#10 User is offline   32519 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-05, 00:58

View Postinquiry, on 2014-May-04, 23:00, said:

I can email you the old homebase article on Misiry if you are really interested.

Yes, please do that. Email it to andrew32519 at gmail with the dot com thingee

Thank you.

This post has been edited by inquiry: 2014-May-05, 10:28
Reason for edit: to make the email address less readable

#11 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2014-May-05, 10:45

View Post32519, on 2014-May-05, 00:58, said:

Yes, please do that. Email it to andrew32519 at gmail with the dot com thingee

Thank you.

Emailed it. Try the method using the combined partnership holding from the deal that began this thread, and let me know how it would have worked for you. It may take some time to absorb things like non-material kings and non-material queens, etc, but the method is there. If you have any questions you can email them to me at the address I emailed the PDF file to you from.
--Ben--

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users