BBO Discussion Forums: Most Clueless Action That Worked Out Well - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Most Clueless Action That Worked Out Well

#1 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2014-April-26, 09:39

I was playing with an 80 year old partner a few months ago and he opened the bidding (unopposed)

1H - 2C
3H - ?

At this point i held a 4-2-2-5 18 count something like AQxx xx AQxxx AQxx so i thought lets just bid keycard!
p respond 5S 2 keycards and the queen so on a high from previous board where we made slam i just bid 7NT

the lead is a diamond and p puts the dummy down AK - 9 hearts and nothing else

7nt made :)

Eagles
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#2 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-27, 08:52

You had fifteen cards?

At the match the other day I had a 5224 18-count, I opened 1S and the bidding went
1S-(3H weak)-3NT-p
4NT

Now partner bids 5C, somehow thinking my 4NT is RKC for spades. Wonderful.... what on earth do I do next. After much deliberating as to which action would produce the most disastrous result, I passed (!)... and found partner with a 5-card club suit! Eleven tricks rolled in to hold the loss to a couple of IMPs.

ahydra

#3 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2014-April-27, 11:28

View Posteagles123, on 2014-April-26, 09:39, said:

I was playing with an 80 year old partner a few months ago and he opened the bidding (unopposed)

1H - 2C
3H - ?

At this point i held a 4-2-2-5 18 count something like AQxx xx AQxxx AQxx so i thought lets just bid keycard!
p respond 5S 2 keycards and the queen so on a high from previous board where we made slam i just bid 7NT

the lead is a diamond and p puts the dummy down AK - 9 hearts and nothing else

7nt made :)

Eagles

With all due respect, Eagles, what are you claiming was the clueless action? Your partner had (what appear to be) nine tricks in hand and opened the bidding with a one bid. You made a 2/1 so he decided to let you know that the hand was being played in hearts. Perfectly reasonable to me.

In response to key card, he showed the Q of hearts or the equivalent in extra length. Hard to argue that his extra length doesn't cover for the missing Q.

I am very serious about this. This is no joke. I think your partner's bidding was excellent.

HIJACK ALERT:

Since your partner had AK ninth in hearts, I thought I would bring up the story attributed to Les Bart. The story goes that Les had AK ninth of diamonds in first seat. He decided to pass and await developments. There were none, as the hand was passed out. Les folded up his hand, put it back into the tray and went onto the next hand.

When his teammates came to the table to compare scores, Les announced his score. "Passed Out" he said. One of his teammates nearly had a heart attack. "You had AK nine times in diamonds and you passed it out????" To which Les replied, "Yes, but it was AK EMPTY ninth!"

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users