Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

I overcall, LHO Xs, Partner XXs competitive sequence

#1 User is offline   vodkagirl 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-April-25, 13:54

Playing SAYC with a random. What does Partner's XX mean here? I have never encountered a XX as an overcaller by advancer. What was my bid after it?

Very much looking forward to your replies.

Many thanks.

#2 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-April-25, 14:22

I think most randoms play it as heart support "You are making 1H, partner."

Of course it's better to use 2D and 2H as heart raises. Some use redouble as a heart raise (usually) promising a top honor. I think these are called Rosenkranz doubles. This may be useful on defense but doesn't take away any bidding room for the opponents. Without that agreement and playing with someone who would think of using 2D as a good raise, I'd take redouble as something like an opening hand with a 2-fit (possibly 1-fit if very good), no more convenient way to enter the auction and at least cooperative on penalizing the opponents.

Not sure what I'd do with your hand. Maybe bid 3H? If partner has a simple raise he ought to pass. 3H also preempts the opponents a bit.

#3 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-25, 14:28

Probably just points. With a random you never know. It might be meant as showing hearts although that is clearly not what it should mean. An advanced treatment is that it shows Kx or Ax so that you can safely lead hearts
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#4 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2014-April-25, 15:36

Playing with a random partner, the redouble is probably just values with some kind of unspecified support.

There are a host of conventional agreements you can use for a redouble by Advancer, I think the Kx, Ax, K, or A (singleton or doubleton) suggestion above is called tolerance redouble to request partner lead that suit. A similar, and more popular in my experience, is the Rosenkrantz Redouble (or reverse Rosenkrantz redouble) that show support with support for partner's suit that lacks (normal rosenkrantz) or promises (reverse Rosenkrantz) a top honor (Ace, King, or Queen) while a direct raise to the two level over the double denies whatever the redouble promises.

The general principle behind these bids are:
1) with heart support it is better to raise straight away if you have real values
2) the use of the conventional double gets partner off to a good lead when you defend
3) You will not have enough points often enough after LHO opens (13 min), partner overcalls (say 10 min) and RHO makes a negative double (say 8 minimum) to want to show general strength (although in this example you could have 9 hcp).

Seems better in the long run, to have a conventional meaning for the redouble, but as always this requires prior discussion with your partner.
--Ben--

#5 User is offline   Kungsgeten 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-April-25, 16:13

In our methods it would be a (semi)balanced hand with 8+ hcp. We play 1S as natural and 1NT+ as transfers (2C is undefined, but shows diamonds if 1D was unnatural). If not having this agreement I would take redouble as showing values (so something like 8+ anyway, 0--2 hearts). I would probably bid 4H with the hand suggested.

#6 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-25, 16:42

View Postvodkagirl, on 2014-April-25, 13:55, said:

Playing SAYC with a random. What does Partner's XX mean here? I have never encountered a XX as an overcaller by advancer. What was my bid after it?

Very much looking forward to your replies.

Many thanks.

I can't know what it is by a random pd. But if you are asking what it should be, then my answer is 11+ hcp with usually 2 card in your suit. Some prefers Hx in your suit. I would bid 4
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#7 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-April-25, 21:30

View Posthelene_t, on 2014-April-25, 14:28, said:

Probably just points. With a random you never know. It might be meant as showing hearts although that is clearly not what it should mean. An advanced treatment is that it shows Kx or Ax so that you can safely lead hearts

This is what I would assume with a random partner in England, because this treatment is popular here.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#8 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-29, 04:04

For me this shows values, so I'd bid 4H here.

ahydra

#9 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2014-April-29, 07:34

In the SAYC booklet the relevant entry is: "A good hand if their double is for takeout". OK the double showing spades is not strictly takeout but none of the other possibilities are even close so this is the best. Not playing SAYC I would prefer one of the alternatives put forward by straube, helene and inquiry.
(-: Zel :-)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users