• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Transfer Problem

#1 User is offline   kb49 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-May-02, 02:45

EBU

This happened recently in our club. South opened a weak one no trump. West doubled and North bid two diamonds. South said 'Hearts'. East passed and South bid two hearts. North now realised that he had made a mistake when South announced hearts because in fact he had a diamond suit. He now bids three diamonds and the bidding ends. Was North legally allowed to bid three diamonds to correct his mistake? Was the 'heart' announcement unauthorised information to North that he could not act upon or was he perfectly entitled to make the correction?

#2 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-May-02, 03:13

Yes, the heart announcement was unauthorised information to North (and incorrect -- South should alert a transfer after the double, not announce it). However, it's possible that there would be no logical alternative to bidding 3 even without the announcement. That will depend on the hand -- do you have a record of it?

Is it certain that it was North, rather than South, who made the mistake?

#3 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-02, 07:34

It's a little hard to decide on LAs unless a meaning is assumed for the 2 bid. Big diamond fit wanting a heart lead if doubler becomes declarer?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#4 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2014-May-02, 08:11

View PostVampyr, on 2014-May-02, 07:34, said:

It's a little hard to decide on LAs unless a meaning is assumed for the 2 bid. Big diamond fit wanting a heart lead if doubler becomes declarer?

Good point, often missed IMO. The analysis itself cannot be sloppy.

We start with the concept of what 2 by Opener would mean if 2 is natural. To asses that, you have to know what 2 as natural shows. If it is drop dead, that's one thing. If it is passable but ongoing (constructive?), that is another thing.

Once we decide that 2 means, in the context of what 2 would mean, we need to next know what 3 would mean to Responder in the context of a natural sequence, and what Responder has. Maybe 3 makes sense in that context.

Then, we need to know what 2 natural...3 after 2 shows, to see if passing is an option.

Then, with all of these determinations made, we need to know whether peers would take all of the same actions at all points with all of this information.

Or, you just shoot Responder first, Opener second.

"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#5 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-02, 10:20

As the responses above indicate, this isn't a simple ruling, so I've moved it to "Laws and Rulings".
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#6 User is offline   karlson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-May-02, 17:40

This is such a common scenario that it has appeared many times in casebooks. It seems that the most common ruling is that the 2 bid is sufficient evidence that partner forgot the agreeement (unless 2 was not weak of course).

Opener in theory has no UI, so can pass 3 at his own risk. In practice there is almost always UI from table mannerisms. I have yet to see that used as basis for an adjustment.

#7 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-03, 09:03

View Postblackshoe, on 2014-May-02, 10:20, said:

As the responses above indicate, this isn't a simple ruling, so I've moved it to "Laws and Rulings".

Indeed. There are so many possible bids by both players that depend on the actual hands the only thing I can add is that while the actual auction may properly be allowed to stand it would be extremely rare. ie. if North truly has no logical alternative to 3 and South has diamond support without hearts AND a minimum.

If it's a case of inexperienced players they would be best served by a ruling against them with a gentle explanation of why.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#8 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-07, 02:21

View Postkenrexford, on 2014-May-02, 08:11, said:

Or, you just shoot Responder first, Opener second.

I think you have got this the wrong way round - I would start with opener.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users