#1 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-May-13, 00:09

KONERU TEAM - Koneru-Krekorian, Stewart-Woolsey 1192
BERKOWITZ TEAM - Berkowitz-Shi, Brady-Ganzer 349
BRAMLEY TEAM - Bramley-Stansby, Grabel-Weinstein, Hamman-Lee 1357
PARRISH TEAM - Parrish-Humphreys, Datloff-McNay 1739
NICKELL TEAM - Nickell-Katz, Levin-Weinstein, Meckstroth-Rodwell - Bye to Round of 8 345
FIREMAN TEAM - Kranyak-Wolpert-Lall, Hurd-Wooldridge, Fireman, NPC 442
BITTERMAN TEAM - Bitterman-Cappelli, Lowe-Harris 1635
BASEGGIO TEAM - Baseggio-Stark, McAllister-zur Campanile 918
SELIGMAN TEAM - Seligman-Lair-Gu, Bertens-Cheek 2054
HUNG TEAM - Hung-J. Stansby, Feldman-Watson 292
GORDON TEAM - Gordon-Pratap, Berkowitz-Sontag, Pszczola-Seamon, Bye to Round of 16 1082
HARRIS TEAM - Harris-Morgan, Aker-Parker, Milgrim-Rigal 370
KOLESNIK TEAM: Kolesnik-Etter, Sher-Lo, Richter-Ramos 1209
SHERMAN TEAM: Coren-Kamil, Dwyer-Ekeblad, Jacobus-Passell, NPC Sherman 473
DIAMOND TEAM - Diamond-Platnick, Greco-Hampson, Bathurst-Moss 1796
FLEISHER TEAM - Fleisher-Martel-Cohler, Rosenberg-Willenken - Bye to Round of 8 1108
MELTZER TEAM - Meltzer-Mohan, Boyd-Robinson, Garner-Smith 1071

http://www.bridgebas...6400-usbf-2014/

#2 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2014-May-13, 00:12

DAILY BULLETIN PDF Print E-mail

Our wonderful Daily Bulletin editor, Suzi Subeck, will be producing a Daily Bulletin each day. The full pre-bulletin will be available in hard copy in the Hospitality Suite at the tournament. The first 4 pages of subsequent bulletins will also be available there. To see all of the bulletins after the first one, you must get them online. The bulletins are listed here; click on the one you want to download it in PDF format. Although it will look as if there are links for future bulletins, they will only work after Suzi has uploaded each bulletin to the website, probably sometime in the middle of the night before the Bulletin's date. If you click on a link and are taken to a page saying Error - page not found, that means the bulletin isn't yet available; try again later.

Pre-Bulletin

Friday, May 9th

Saturday, May 10th

Sunday, May 11th

Monday, May 12th

Tuesday, May 13th

http://usbf.org/inde...1158&Itemid=531

#3 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2014-May-13, 00:16

Weinstein, President of the United States Bridge Federation, welcomes you to the Embassy Suites, Phoenix, AZ, for the 2014 United States Bridge Championships.
Ed. note: For those who are not aware, George Jacobs, former USBF President, has resigned from office and Howie has been elected to fill George’s unexpired term
In addition, Sylvia Moss has been elected to fill Howie’s unexpired term as Vice President.
Both Howie and Sylvia are experienced volunteers and great assets to the organization. We welcome their leadership. We miss George and wish him well. We know he will still be a driving force in the USBF.
FORMAT
The format of the 2014 USBC will be 5 2-day stages: the first stage will be a Round Robin among all teams except those with byes to the Knockout phase; the other stages will be 120 board Knockout matches, starting with the Round of 16 on Sunday, May 11 and Monday, May 12 and ending with the Finals on Saturday, May 17 and Sunday, May 18.
Sixteen teams have entered the 2014 USBC. Three teams have byes. The remaining 13 teams will play a two day complete Round Robin to select eleven teams to join Gordon in the Round of 16.
BYES
The Nickell team earned the top seed and a bye to the Round of 8. The Fleisher team earned a bye to the Round of 8 and will be the 2 seed. The Gordon team earned a bye to the Round of 16. They will originally be seeded 3 but will be randomly shuffled with the highest-seeded team that emerges from the Round Robin to determine whether they are the 3 or 4 seed.
Volume 8, Issue 1
The

#4 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2014-May-13, 00:28

round of 16 results

http://usbf.org/docs...stage=Roundof16

#5 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-15, 18:02

I'm enjoying kibbing Lee/Hamman vs Meckwell almost as much as Lee/Hamman vs Lall/Kranyak. That was awesome.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#6 User is offline   rogerclee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-15, 21:22

View Posty66, on 2014-May-15, 18:02, said:

I'm enjoying kibbing Lee/Hamman vs Meckwell almost as much as Lee/Hamman vs Lall/Kranyak. That was awesome.

The Nickell team isn't giving us anything, but we aren't giving them much either. Been a really good match so far, hopefully we run it up on them tomorrow.

Also worth mentioning that jlall played amazingly well in our R8 match (as usual).

#7 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-15, 21:45

View Postrogerclee, on 2014-May-15, 21:22, said:

The Nickell team isn't giving us anything, but we aren't giving them much either. Been a really good match so far, hopefully we run it up on them tomorrow.

Also worth mentioning that jlall played amazingly well in our R8 match (as usual).

extremely enjoyable watching you and BH...and of course Sweinlevin. Keep up the good work.

Extremely disappointing, however, on that 4th segment....even though it was low-scoring, the play/decisions were still worthwhile to observe. HOWEVER, we could have used a lot less of the youngster commentators prattling on about personal things only of interest to them.

The main problem is sorting through the chat for something meaningful to the event or the match at hand.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#8 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2014-May-15, 21:54

The last set of Bramley / Nickell was pretty epic. For the first bunch of boards there were barely any swings and the set included a grand, two 590's and a 550. The grand swung two imps. The doubled games were all pushes.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#9 User is offline   olien 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-May-15, 23:00

Excuse me aguahombre, but we were just trying to add some entertainment during the "boring" hands. If you have some constructive criticism, it would be much appreciated. Commentating is not the easiest tthng, its a fine balance between entertainment and what the commentators are dealt (for lack of a better term).

#10 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-May-15, 23:55

View Postolien, on 2014-May-15, 23:00, said:

Excuse me aguahombre, but we were just trying to add some entertainment during the "boring" hands. If you have some constructive criticism, it would be much appreciated. Commentating is not the easiest tthng, its a fine balance between entertainment and what the commentators are dealt (for lack of a better term).

What you were dealt was a match between elite teams. It is all about those players, their style differences, their decisions, their reads. Expert commentators at any age can provide entertainment in the form of insights about the players and the problems they are facing.

The hands might have been "boring" to you; I am surprised you considered hands where swings were attempted or were possible to be boring. The fact that few IMPs were exchanged attests to the quality of play by both teams.

I consider it "constructive criticism" when I suggest we don't need as much personal chat-room style banter as was provided, in order to be entertained by the Bridge being shown.

I have mentioned on these fora my observations that young players today display much better manners and upbringing at the table (live) than they did many years ago...you included. I thought you could have done better as a viewgraph commentator.

#11 User is offline   rogerclee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-16, 00:26

People who don't do vugraph commentary don't realize how hard it is, they think that just because you are a strong expert player, you will do fine. Here's what it's actually like being a vugraph commentator:

1) The players are taking forever, and you feel like passing the time by mentioning something small.
2) Some random kibitzer says something you know is wrong. You ignore it.
3) Some random kibitzer says something you think is wrong, but you don't know. You choose not to address it.
4) Some expert kibizer says something that you think might be right, but it's complicated and you don't know. You spend some time thinking about whether or not what they said is true.
5) While this is happening, the play continues and you want to comment on what the expert kibitzer says, but now it's too late and it doesn't matter anymore.
6) You're commentating for meckwell, so you sort of know their system, but not really. You spend some time finding an old convention card of theirs, but you don't know if it's up to date.
7) Oops, you missed the bidding while you were looking this up, and now you have to commentate on the play, and you try to do it single-dummy (like a good commentator would), but you are only human and there are now 1500+ kibitzers, so you don't want to say something stupidly and obviously wrong.

I mean, it's basically like this the whole time. I used to want to be critical of vugraph commentators who I think didn't contribute much, but honestly, it's a hard and thankless job, and most people should feel fortunate that anyone is willing to do it at all.

#12 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2014-May-16, 00:30

The players are taking forever, and you feel like passing the time by mentioning something small.

Wow I did not know there is so much time to fill, they take so much time, but yes they must fill the time, yes.

Filling the time is much more important than what is going on at the table 99%
-------

Look at Football, filling the time is so much more important than on the field.

#13 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2014-May-16, 03:47

I saw a segment of the match against Justin's team and it seemed like the only time they could get IMPs was when he was declarer. The rest of the time you were outplaying them. Was also impressed at how well you and Bob handled Meckwell in the segment of the Nickell match I saw. If you are able to keep up that level of intensity to the end then I expect you to win, but that is naturally a big if.

When I watched vugraph a lot and there was a system pair but noone from the panel was sure of the methods, I used to try to help out by passing a commentator the meanings off the latest CC. That tended to go down well so hopefully it was of some help. I do like it when commentators provide a link to CCs if the event has one though. Perhaps I am strange in that I quite like it when the commentators are active and have a little banter. I feel quite capable of filtering out what is of interest to me from the rest and quite often those "personal things" are interesting to me, even if not to 90+% of the rest of the audience.

Anyway, good luck for the rest of the tournament Roger - go kick some ass!
(-: Zel :-)

#14 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2014-May-16, 04:00

Echo Roger. I have been commentating a few times and always felt like an elephant in a china store. OK, it would of course be a bit easier for an expert player than it is for mee, but still.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#15 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-16, 04:47

View Postrogerclee, on 2014-May-16, 00:26, said:

I used to want to be critical of vugraph commentators who I think didn't contribute much, but honestly, it's a hard and thankless job, and most people should feel fortunate that anyone is willing to do it at all.

Agree with everything you said but this I take issue with. It certainly seems like a tough job to do - similar to Vugraph-operating I think in that people underestimate how difficult it is. I am certainly very grateful to the people who do do it.

But don't the commentators do it because they enjoy it? And I hardly think it is a thankless job; I imagine most of the kibs find the comments insightful and I make a point to thank commentators whom I have particularly enjoyed. The commentators make sure to thank one another and BBO at the ends of the sets too which is nice. I'd hate to think I was listening to someone who didn't want to be there.

Re: agua's comment: as for "prattling" I quite enjoy some of the non-bridge comments, and it's nice to see a friendly light-hearted dynamic between the commentators. As Roger said I am just glad that there is anyone commenting at all.

My one peeve however is the commentators consistently moaning about how boring the hands are. This goes back to what I was saying about not wanting to be there. In-jokes are also irritating for obvious reasons.

Some are certainly better than others as well. Kit Woolsey is always excellent. He finds something insightful to say about almost every deal and he is absolutely pro in his approach despite not getting paid a dime.
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#16 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2014-May-16, 06:08

to add to roger, it is even harder when you are ocmentating people that are above your skill

#17 User is offline   uday 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-16, 07:09

And when it is the team trials, they're usually above the avg. commentator skill level.

I think Roger's last point is the most significant for me - it is hard to say stuff when you don't know if you're about to sound like a moron. Trying to edit every comment carefully makes the commentary stilted and dull.

Hey, I just had a thought. What if the commentator was anonymous? Then perhaps he could speak out loud w/o fear :) I know I would be more likely to try do commentary under those circumstances. I can analyze many hands just as well as many of the commentators ( ok, not so well single dummy, or I'd be playing) but it is a little like public speaking. hard.

As a kib, sometimes i'd like to toss my 2 cents in, but it feels rude to bother the commentator with my "insights" when they might contradict what she's just said, or just bec. I know she's busy typing.

I think voice commentary might be easier in some ways.

#18 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-May-16, 09:00

Yes, the job of a Vugraph commentator is tough and sometimes thankless. Yes, I appreciate their volunteering their time for us.

That, IMO, doesn't mean they couldn't benefit from feedback. There is a difference between light-hearted off-topic banter and continued "Zac-the-Ripper", or repeated complaints about how boring the hands are.

I found the set to be anything but boring, and am not the only person who thought Zac, Owen, and Harmon had a lot more to offer than what we saw and might be interested in feedback.

#19 User is offline   DJNeill 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:current events, long-distance cycling

Posted 2014-May-16, 09:42

It would be interesting to see the results of some market research on what most kibs like to see and hear in their commentary.

To me, there is Kit, Larry, and George, and then everyone else, but everyone has their own opinion.

#20 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2014-May-16, 10:42

I've commentated more matches than I can count. I've made some incredibly insightful comments about the play or defense. I've made my share of silly comnents as well. So a few suggestions for would-be commentiors:

1. (Mentally) disable GIB during the play. It clouds your objectivity. No one is interested in your 'expert analysis' that involves dropping doubleton queens offside. The only time I would ever use GIB is if some annoying kibitzer kept stating their line was correct or I wasn't sure.

2. Better yet, hide the opposing hands during the play and try to forget what you say during the bidding. Try to explain the thought process of a defender or declarer.

3. Don't result in the bidding. If a slam requires three finesses and a 3-3 split don't rant on how 'biddable' it is and how you'd find it playing your favorite methods.

4. A sense of humor and self-deprecation really helps. If you made a comment and Danny Sprung, John Carruthers and ten other learned kibitzers disagree you probably misanalyzed. It's fine to backtrack but if you are doing it too much get another cup of coffee.

5. Above all, maintain a high level of tact and respect for other commentators and the players. This especially applies to youth and juniors. Commentators that make inflammatory remarks should be insta-unmic'd. There's ways to disagree with someone or even to state they are wrong without making them feel stupid.

As far as my opinion regarding banter like last night I encourage it as long as it doesn't get in the way. I'd much rather listen to Harmon and Owen getting chippy than a blank text field.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users