BBO Discussion Forums: Elinescu-Wladow were stupid. You haven't found the smart cheats... - BBO Discussion Forums

• 20 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Elinescu-Wladow were stupid. You haven't found the smart cheats...

#101 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-April-08, 05:37

View PostMrAce, on 2014-April-04, 19:42, said:

Now this deserved a reply but I don't want the topic to be locked.

I thought my posts were predictable; why are you wasting your time reading them?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#102 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-08, 06:39

View PostVampyr, on 2014-April-08, 05:37, said:

I thought my posts were predictable; why are you wasting your time reading them?

If i said "predictable" for your posts in the past, I was probably trying not to get kicked from BBF.

FYI, I read almost every reply if the topic is somewhat interesting for me....well...maybe not the ones with too many symbols or the ones which are written in Italian.(or any other language that I do not know)
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#103 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2014-April-08, 16:52

Barmar, I guess I have to look it up myself again. I *believe* that the way they pulled it off was to arrive separately, with Sontag being "not quite so good" in the marked game for a couple of days before, and thus the locals thinking, once their juicy mark arrived, that they could take the two fish straight up (what with it being a wash for the conmen, as well, the two times out of three that it wasn't Sontag-client v. local-local).
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#104 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-April-08, 17:56

View Postbarmar, on 2014-April-07, 16:45, said:

That sounds right. Which makes me wonder why the perpetrators would have allowed Sontag into the game, if the only way the con worked was to have 3 collaborators versus 1 mark. If I could find the book, I expect he explained how he managed to get into it.

This also reminds me of the rule in the "Survivor" and "Big Brother" TV shows -- the players are not allowed to form alliances based on an agreement to split the winnings. They have to have a financial incentive to try to win.

maybe you really should just go read the chapter instead of accusing sontag of cheating and then retracting and then wondering how it all happened :P
Videos of the worst bridge player ever playing bridge:
https://www.youtube....hungPlaysBridge

#105 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-April-08, 18:23

View PostMrAce, on 2014-April-08, 06:39, said:

If i said "predictable" for your posts in the past, I was probably trying not to get kicked from BBF.

You have a serious problem.

This post has been edited by inquiry: 2014-April-08, 19:06
Reason for edit: for content

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#106 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-April-08, 18:48

View PostVampyr, on 2014-April-08, 18:23, said:

You have a serious problem.

You quoted me, and then asked me a question, and got an answer.

If you can not handle it, why do you quote me ? Posted Image

This post has been edited by inquiry: 2014-April-08, 20:31
Reason for edit: To remove text from the earlier post quote that had been edited

"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#107 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2014-April-08, 19:17

View PostMrAce, on 2014-April-05, 06:22, said:

How can anyone get the hand records ? I mean i can use my imagination how one can get them maybe one time, somehow, but how can he get it all the time, or frequently ?

Is English your first language? If not, why not write in your first language, and I can use Google Translate?
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#108 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-09, 02:46

View Postlamford, on 2014-April-08, 19:17, said:

Is English your first language? If not, why not write in your first language, and I can use Google Translate?

I think this is an extraordinarily unnecessary post. I, for one, appreciate MrAce's consideration in writing in English so that I don't need to use Google Translate.

#109 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-April-09, 03:49

View Postlamford, on 2014-April-08, 19:17, said:

I had a private conversation via pm with one of the good players here. I thought there was a player who was being suspected of getting the hand records. Or at least that is what I thought was implied.. So i wondered how could it be possible to get the hand records more than just 1 time for consistency of the cheating.

And no English is not my native language. It gets even worse when i am intoxicated. Sorry if I gave you hard time..., but i am sure you will get over it Posted Image

#110 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2014-April-09, 03:51

Posted Image
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#111 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2014-April-09, 04:56

View Postgwnn, on 2014-April-09, 03:51, said:

Posted Image

The pen is mightier than the sword, getting your spacing wrong can be embarrassing too.

#112 User is offline   matmat 

• ded
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-16, 21:43

Look at how we are tip-toeing around naming the name of the cheat who stole hand records. With a few exceptions, the consequences of cheating seem to be minimal.

Also, directors have little incentive to catch/report/punish cheats. Isn't the directors' pay, in most cases, tied to how big the game is? In that situation, why would you ever look to turn a player away for any reason (imo this is related to many other problems with club and local tournament level bridge).

#113 User is offline   NickRW 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-17, 07:11

View Postmatmat, on 2014-April-16, 21:43, said:

Look at how we are tip-toeing around naming the name of the...

...(imo this is related to many other problems with club and local tournament level bridge).

That was one of the more sensible things I've heard about this whole matter.
"Pass is your friend" - my brother in law - who likes to bid a lot.

#114 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-April-17, 11:45

View Postmatmat, on 2014-April-16, 21:43, said:

Look at how we are tip-toeing around naming the name of the cheat who stole hand records. With a few exceptions, the consequences of cheating seem to be minimal.

Cheating accusations are taken very seriously, and we want people to be very circumspect. Within the bridge community, it's almost analogous to accusing a teacher of molesting a child -- even if you're exonerated, it can be nearly impossible to get your reputation back. So we try to avoid naming names. The most notorious cases tend to get out through the grapevine, but we still pay lip service by not talking about the perpetrators publicly.

#115 User is offline   bianca21 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-April-18, 01:00

This entire cheating business is rubbish. The american team was simply outplayed in the final. They lost because they missed a grand and a slam. It is probably hard to digest that for a team of professionals who are payed to play and receive large bonuses for winning, while their opponents are amateurs, none of them making a living out of bridge. There is a financial interest involved here. And there is something to be said about sad losers.....

#116 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-18, 04:34

A while ago, someone posted a link to detailed ratings for top partnerships: how many IMPs they won/lost in bidding/declarer play/defense etc. Anyone remember the source?
Googling only turned up Pavlicek's list; but my vague memory suggests that there someone had compiled a rating based on a larger database of results.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#117 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2014-April-18, 05:35

View Postbianca21, on 2014-April-18, 01:00, said:

This entire cheating business is rubbish. The american team was simply outplayed in the final. They lost because they missed a grand and a slam. It is probably hard to digest that for a team of professionals who are payed to play and receive large bonuses for winning, while their opponents are amateurs, none of them making a living out of bridge. There is a financial interest involved here. And there is something to be said about sad losers.....

Just for the record, current upvotes are from vang and the_hog...
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#118 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-April-18, 05:50

View Postcherdano, on 2014-April-18, 05:35, said:

Just for the record, current upvotes are from vang and the_hog...

So what? Are they not allowed to agree with bianca, or we shd not care that they agree? What's the idea?

#119 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2014-April-18, 06:01

View Postdiana_eva, on 2014-April-18, 05:50, said:

So what? Are they not allowed to agree with bianca, or we shd not care that they agree? What's the idea?

Of course they are allowed to agree, and every reader can decide for themselves whether that's a wise opinion, or an opinion biased by anti-americanism, or a useful advocatus diaboli counter-point. They clearly wanted everyone to know about their opinion, and I am just helping them spread it.

#120 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-18, 11:02

View Postbianca21, on 2014-April-18, 01:00, said:

View Postcherdano, on 2014-April-18, 06:01, said:

Of course they are allowed to agree, and every reader can decide for themselves whether that's a wise opinion, or an opinion biased by anti-americanism, or a useful advocatus diaboli counter-point. They clearly wanted everyone to know about their opinion, and I am just helping them spread it.

You need not agree with that opinion, but why was that opinion biased by anti-americanism?

Rainer Herrmann

• 20 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users