BBO Discussion Forums: A regional without a phone number for the partnership desk! - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A regional without a phone number for the partnership desk!

#1 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2014-May-03, 19:16

I played in a regional in a rather remote place an hour's drive from here on Thursday and did quite well with a regular PD who was not going to be available later in the weekend. I didn't try to pick anyone up for the Sunday Swiss nor leave my info since I didn't expect to be available. However, yesterday, circumstances changed and it was clear that I could play on Sunday so I checked both the printed flyer and online brochure for a partnership desk number noting that at other regionals I've been able to call the desk and have them call me if an appropriate player is available.

So I called the chairperson and left a message and also emailed and left some info about myself for prospective partners if they wished to call me or otherwise check me out. Hmm it has been 24 hours and I've had no response from the chair person!

Is this anyway to run a regional? Shameful that there's no phone number listed for the partnership desk! And no, I am not driving an hour tomorrow morning to see what PD/team and I can pick up and find out that they can barely follow suit.

Thx for listening to my rant .. neilkaz ..

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-May-03, 21:40

I think most of the activity at the partnership desk takes place during the hour before the session starts. So if you're an hour away from the playing site, they probably wouldn't be able to get there in time.

#3 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2014-May-04, 05:00

So spoiled. There is no such thing as a partnership desk anywhere in Germany.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#4 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-04, 16:25

The guidelines for the Partnership function at Regional/Sectional tournaments that I have read suggest a phone number/email of the Partnership Chairman be published for people to call in advance of the tournament; they are silent about keeping someone available to man the phone during the events. It probably is impractical to have a volunteer worker -- who would certainly like to be playing -- available at odd hours other than the traditional hour preceeding game time.

Eating and sleeping, among other things, might be appropriate for the partnership people.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#5 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-04, 18:34

Presuming that you are referring to the regional that was 40 miles from your hometown but in a different state, the Tournament Details on the ACBL website says the tourney chair is also the partnership chair. If you left a message on her cellphone (listed on the flier also on the ACBL site), you should have reached the right person. But you'd think the tournament chair has enough to do without also being the partnership chair.

#6 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2014-May-04, 20:18

View PostBbradley62, on 2014-May-04, 18:34, said:

Presuming that you are referring to the regional that was 40 miles from your hometown but in a different state, the Tournament Details on the ACBL website says the tourney chair is also the partnership chair. If you left a message on her cellphone (listed on the flier also on the ACBL site), you should have reached the right person. But you'd think the tournament chair has enough to do without also being the partnership chair.

Yeah OK that was the one and I both emailed her and left a msg on Friday so there'd be plenty of time if someone was interested and so she could get back to me.

I've checked my regional flyers and this was the only one I've seen without a number for a partnership chair or desk person.

I think I was spoiled by how well the partnership desk treated me 2 years ago at the nearby Crystal Lake regional when I knew almost no players there. They even called me twice to tell me whether or not they had a player for me for a desired session.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users