• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How we lose at bridge

#1 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-March-24, 17:46

Just got back from being beaten in a 24-board IMPs match against a strong, but non-expert, team by a huge margin. I thought I played pretty well, aside from one rather embarrassing mistake (thankfully that only cost me a NV undertrick!). Highlights of disasters by team-mates included them going off in a stone-cold slam (which our table didn't bid!) and making a non-forcing 3S bid with 15 HCP opposite an opening. Yes, partner passed.

Here's two that might have helped lessen the blow somewhat. Please forgive the lack of hand diagrams, I don't have the exact spots.

1) all NV

A108xxx
J8xxxx
x
-

Partner is first to speak. You have minimal agreements about forcing passes - here double would show a desire to defend, pass = not sure.

2) both vul

AKxx
AKx
xx
AKxx

Partner opens 3D in second seat, pass to you.

Thanks,

ahydra

#2 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-March-24, 18:01

1. 5 We may have missed slam, and we may be going down. But I am not bidding slam and I am not defending 5.

2. I use whatever keycard gadget I have: for me, 4 is modified keycard, and I wouldn't like to have to use, say, 4N, but this is a good case for keycard...it is being used to stay out of slam in case my red 2nd seat partner has done something cute like open 3 on QJ109xxxx.

Whether I look for or drive to grand opposite 2 with the Q is unclear...it depends on what I know of partner's tendencies, including whether we have a 2 opener on AKQxxx, which I would red 2nd seat. Playing with a clone of me, if partner showed 2 with the Q, I would bid 7...tempting to bid 7N, and I may well be chucking a couple of imps, but if he only has AKQJxx or the like, then I do slightly improve my chances in the grand by playing in a trump suit.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#3 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-March-24, 19:10

ahydra, on 2014-March-24, 17:46, said:

Problem 1.
Just got back from being beaten in a 24-board IMPs match against a strong, but non-expert, team by a huge margin. I thought I played pretty well, aside from one rather embarrassing mistake (thankfully that only cost me a NV undertrick!). Highlights of disasters by team-mates included them going off in a stone-cold slam (which our table didn't bid!) and making a non-forcing 3S bid with 15 HCP opposite an opening. Yes, partner passed. Here's two that might have helped lessen the blow somewhat. Please forgive the lack of hand diagrams, I don't have the exact spots.

Problem 2
Attempt to reformat, guessing pips, so ahydra is South on both problems. Broadly agree with mikeh:
  • 5 = 10, 6 = 9, Pass = 7,
  • 4 (half-key ask) = 11, 4N (RKC) = 10, 6 = 9, 5 = 6

#4 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2014-March-24, 19:51

Certainly I am bidding 5S here.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#5 User is offline   ArtK78 

• Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2014-March-24, 23:34

mikeh, on 2014-March-24, 18:01, said:

1. 5 We may have missed slam, and we may be going down. But I am not bidding slam and I am not defending 5.

2. I use whatever keycard gadget I have: for me, 4 is modified keycard, and I wouldn't like to have to use, say, 4N, but this is a good case for keycard...it is being used to stay out of slam in case my red 2nd seat partner has done something cute like open 3 on QJ109xxxx.

Whether I look for or drive to grand opposite 2 with the Q is unclear...it depends on what I know of partner's tendencies, including whether we have a 2 opener on AKQxxx, which I would red 2nd seat. Playing with a clone of me, if partner showed 2 with the Q, I would bid 7...tempting to bid 7N, and I may well be chucking a couple of imps, but if he only has AKQJxx or the like, then I do slightly improve my chances in the grand by playing in a trump suit.

Agree 100%. Must bid 5 on first hand. Defending with 6-6 is out of the question. But bidding a slam is too big of a position to take.

I can't imagine a partner of mine opening 3 in first seat vul with a 6 card diamond suit, even a solid 6 card diamond suit. So I key card and bid the grand in NT opposite 2 with the Q. Tempting to bid 7NT with 2 key cards without the Q, as partner is very likely to have AKJxxxx of diamonds, and making 13 tricks is a pretty good bet.

#6 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-25, 00:00

5s too. anything might be making

hand 2 is a non-question. if we go down in slam opposite ktxxxxx, educate partner what a 2nd in vul pre-empt looks like.

#7 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-25, 00:04

nige1, on 2014-March-24, 19:10, said:

Attempt to reformat, guessing pips, so ahydra is South on both problems. Broadly agree with mikeh:
  • 5 = 10, 6 = 9, Pass = 7,
  • 4 = (half-key ask) = 11, 4N (RKC) = 10, 6 = 9, 5 = 6

you forgot to include 7d which should score at least 7 points more than 5d.

#8 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-25, 03:33

On the first one partner has presumably shown a little more than 3 would have shown in standard methods as 2 would already have been a better hand than the weak nt hand which he can't have. I think slam could easily be on, especially now that LHO has been so kind to ask for a helpful club lead. I am going to try 5 although it is a bit inconsecuent now that I didn't make a try before.

On the second one I am just bidding a Neanderthal 6. Regardsless of partner's answer to RKC we would still need to know about J so 6 would be a reaonable choice after any answer. I suppose keycards won't do any harm though. With double controls in all suits, LHO has no reason not to play low on the first diamond trick so it's not one of those hands where revealing partner's trump holding will help the defense.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#9 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-25, 06:55

Thanks all. First one was me in the hotseat and I picked 5S, which seems to be the popular opinion. Looked good when partner had QJxx AKQ QJxx Hx (can't remember what club honour it was), but unfortunately it went off after A, heart ruff!! and later losing the SK because were 3-0 offside as well. With both opposing hands having a void it's probably fair to say team-mates wimped out here, letting them play in 4S.

Second one was at the other table where my known wimp of a team-mate bid 3NT. (He was also the one responsible for the 3S with 15 HCP.) With two small diamonds it's a bit of a punt, but second seat vulnerable partner should have a decent pre-empt. The 3D opener was Qx Jxx AQTxxxx T.

At our table the 3D opener passed, big hand opened 2NT and the diamond guy punted 6D (via 3C fake puppet stayman expecting 3D to come back). Trumps were 2-2, but I believe it also makes if trumps are 3-1 with K onside, so that's around 59% or something?

Perhaps I need to get less wimpy team-mates? :)

ahydra

#10 User is offline   CamHenry 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-March-25, 08:40

I'm not sure why no-one's suggesting 5 on the first one: sure, you've found a fit, but this gives partner a better clue if they push on. I'm definitely not defending.

#11 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-25, 09:01

ahydra, on 2014-March-25, 06:55, said:

Second one was at the other table where my known wimp of a team-mate bid 3NT.

3NT wimpish? It is far more speculative than, say, 6! There is a reason why 3NT didn't even appear on Nigel's marking list - there is no particular reason to think you can make it, while 5at least must be more or less laydown. How many tricks will the hand make if partner has, say, KQJ10xxx and no other useful cards?

#12 User is offline   ArtK78 

• Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2014-March-25, 09:13

but I believe it also makes if trumps are 3-1 with K onside, so that's around 59% or something?
ahydra

Ignoring the possibility of a ruff, It will make whenever you lose no more than one diamond trick. Your chance of success is 77% if you play the A first and then lead towards the QT. The second best line is to finesse the Q on the first round and, if it loses, play the A next. The A first line works in every case that the Q finesse line works plus it also picks up singleton K offside. For what it is worth, the finesse of the Q line gives you a much better chance of making an overtrick.

Taking a first round finesse of the 10 and, if it loses to the J, playing the A next is slightly worse than a first round finesse of the Q followed by playing the A next.

You always fail if trump are 4-0* or if they are 3-1 with two honors offside (except possibly at double dummy). There is a small chance that you might survive when trump are 4-0 onside if you take a first round finesse of the Q and get a very lucky lie of the cards.

*unless you play a first round finesse of the 10 and trump are 4-0 onside.

#13 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:student of the game

Posted 2014-March-25, 10:14

ahydra, on 2014-March-24, 17:46, said:

Just got back from being beaten in a 24-board IMPs match against a strong, but non-expert, team by a huge margin. I thought I played pretty well, aside from one rather embarrassing mistake (thankfully that only cost me a NV undertrick!). Highlights of disasters by team-mates included them going off in a stone-cold slam (which our table didn't bid!) and making a non-forcing 3S bid with 15 HCP opposite an opening. Yes, partner passed.

Here's two that might have helped lessen the blow somewhat. Please forgive the lack of hand diagrams, I don't have the exact spots.

1) all NV

A108xxx
J8xxxx
x
-

Partner is first to speak. You have minimal agreements about forcing passes - here double would show a desire to defend, pass = not sure.

Thanks,

ahydra

I would have bid 1 first. With 4-4, bid 1. With 5-5 or 6-6, bid 1.
Forcing passes apply only in auctions where we have shown the balance of strength. This is a 50/50 board or even they may have shown the balance of strength.

#14 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2014-March-25, 10:16

jogs, on 2014-March-25, 10:14, said:

I would have bid 1 first.

He did, sort of. 1 is a transfer to spades.

I believe pass is forcing here, we don't sacrifice against 4.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#15 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-25, 15:36

Perhaps I need to get less wimpy team-mates? :)

ahydra

Last place you should be looking for teammates is BBF then Posted Image

"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#16 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2014-March-25, 18:50

1) With a 6-6 hand, the opponents aren't playing the hand. I'm bidding on to 5 . If I could bid 5 and not have partner take it for a control, I would make that call.

2) I'm making whatever KC bid is available. If partner shows 2, I'll bid 6 or 7 depending on whether the Q is also held. If partner has 1 and the Q, I'll bid 6. Otherwise, we'll stop in game. If partner is super aggressively preempting 2nd seat vulnerable at IMPs with a 6 card suit or bad trump holding that's their problem.

#17 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2014-March-26, 09:32

1) 5 since I fear PD thinks 5 may be a control at this level.

2) RKCB

3) It is clear that you need better teammates next time as the 3NT bid is horrendous on hand 2.

#18 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2014-March-26, 09:45

neilkaz, on 2014-March-26, 09:32, said:

1) 5 since I fear PD thinks 5 may be a control at this level.

I don't think so. Hearts is the only suit we can bid below the 5-level so it should just be a generic slam try. OK, if we want to do that we should probably have bid 4 last round. But I don't think that argument makes the 5 bid related to hearts in any way.

#19 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2014-March-26, 18:30

Certainly 5 is not a slam try after we bid 4!!

I would write that 5 is directing a lead in case they bid 6, but I am sure someone would be mean enough to point out that I will be on lead. It can only be showing a side suit helping partner decide whether to compete in case they bid 6.

But I don't like that with my terrible suits and even a bit of defense against 6. I would just bid 5.

I also agree that you just need better team-mates, not less wimpy team mates.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#20 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2014-April-14, 11:48

WellSpyder, on 2014-March-25, 09:01, said:

3NT wimpish? It is far more speculative than, say, 6! There is a reason why 3NT didn't even appear on Nigel's marking list - there is no particular reason to think you can make it, while 5at least must be more or less laydown. How many tricks will the hand make if partner has, say, KQJ10xxx and no other useful cards?

Infact : declaration 2) should assicurate 6 losers (=7 winners) that in pair vulnerability is level three then with 2x3=6 controls of the partner .. 13 tricks. But this barrage declaration have obscillation ,how you said . Then keep quite youself (what a lucky..)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users