BBO Discussion Forums: ATB for EW - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ATB for EW

Poll: ATB for EW (13 member(s) have cast votes)

ATB

1. West completely (1 votes [7.69%])

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

2. West mostly (3 votes [23.08%])

Percentage of vote: 23.08%

3. East completely (2 votes [15.38%])

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

4. East mostly (3 votes [23.08%])

Percentage of vote: 23.08%

5. Nobody (4 votes [30.77%])

Percentage of vote: 30.77%

6. Both of them equally (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   HighLow21 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-March-19, 14:02

If anyone West, but really I think this is "one of those things." Why West? Because looking at his hand, it seems there's a good chance both sides have a double-fit... at the very least, the 5th spade and the diamond fit are completely unknowable to East.

To put it differently: East knows there is at least a 4-3 spade fit but that's all he knows. West is the only one with reason to suspect that N/S might have a lot of tricks in the rounded suits combined.

I cannot blame East for passing the double. He's looking at two aces including trump control, and the 1 bid could be a bad 4-carder (or spades could be splitting 1-5). Might easily be worth -300 with no game on for E/W.

I can't see a double on this hand by West, at all. But it will happen at the table from time to time. Reverse West's minor suit holdings and to me the double is clear-cut.

Nevertheless I don't see any truly "bad" calls let alone egregious. Difficult choices, and this time it worked out poorly. My vote is unquestionably "No blame" but if I had to assign it with a gun to the temple, it'd be West.
There is a big difference between a good decision and a good result. Let's keep our posts about good decisions rather than "gotcha" results!

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users