• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-April-27, 16:56

What went wrong?

#2 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-April-27, 17:09

I'm guessing the spades were conveniently located so you made an overtrick?

#3 User is offline   larlar 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-April-27, 17:44

After south makes a game try, north should bid a game. Not that it's a great game but south did have the (sort of) wasted DK.

#4 User is offline   larlar 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-April-27, 17:44

After south makes a game try, north should bid a game. Not that it's a great game but south did have the (sort of) wasted DK.

#5 User is offline   mcphee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-28, 03:20

N could have been a little more competitive. N has a decent hand facing a heart overcall and could have doubled 2D responsive to get the black suits in the photo, far more helpful to south.

#6 User is offline   mcphee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-28, 03:20

N could have been a little more competitive. N has a decent hand facing a heart overcall and could have doubled 2D responsive to get the black suits in the photo, far more helpful to south.

#7 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-28, 03:43

Mostly bad luck. If anything, North could have bid game.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#8 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-April-28, 03:54

I would not blame anyone for this. And I am not known to be shy bidder.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#9 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-28, 04:37

Sorry Timo, Helene, I think you are way off. Once South makes a game try (which he did by doubling 3) North clearly should bid game.
Not that there is much blame to go around, as everyone wrote it's a borderline game.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#10 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2014-April-28, 05:26

I think S overbid a smidgen but N underbid by quite a bit. Hence they missed a thin game. S should get negative blame and N some significant positive blame. If they had reached the game and it had gone down, S should get positive blame and N no blame. :)
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#11 User is offline   dake50 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-28, 06:09

I'm guessing the spades were conveniently located so you made an overtrick? -- Bbradley62

*** That's a wildly likely assumption:
SQ single drops under SK
+SQx drops
+S:Q10xx onside discovered on SK
+they decide 5D-X is cheap.
The point is that's surely over VUL game percent and equal nv game percent.

#12 User is offline   nekthen 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-28, 06:26

I think that South should double initially. The bidding demonstrates how hard it is to find the 5 -4 when you have the 5-3 fit.
After a double by South 2 by North should surely propel you to game.
With 5 and 4 the bidding is much easier for South bidding 1 followed by 2

#13 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:student of the game

Posted 2014-April-28, 08:30

What happened on this board? Did spades play better than hearts?

View Postnekthen, on 2014-April-28, 06:26, said:

I think that South should double initially.

Advancer isn't going out of his way to bid clubs. Ax is sufficient clubs for the double.

#14 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:student of the game

Posted 2014-April-28, 08:31

What happened on this board? Did spades play better than hearts?

View Postnekthen, on 2014-April-28, 06:26, said:

I think that South should double initially.

Advancer isn't going out of his way to bid clubs. Ax is sufficient clubs for the double.

#15 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-April-28, 08:46

View Postcherdano, on 2014-April-28, 04:37, said:

Sorry Timo, Helene, I think you are way off. Once South makes a game try (which he did by doubling 3) North clearly should bid game.
Not that there is much blame to go around, as everyone wrote it's a borderline game.

Then I think S can not make game try with hands like, which is actually better hand than the OP.

xx
KQxxx
Kx
AKxx

KQxx
Kxxxx
Kx
Ax

Ooops!

I don't mind bidding game with N hand. When seeing the T and 4 card spades headed by K yea, I would love to be in game. I would think pass is also very reasonable seeing only 1 hand. But I also would think who claims this was a clear decision by N to bid game and we are way off is exaggerating .
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#16 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-28, 08:48

North forgot to open a Muiderberg?

;)

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#17 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-28, 09:34

View PostMrAce, on 2014-April-28, 08:46, said:

Then I think S can not make game try with hands like, which is actually better hand than the OP.

xx
KQxxx
Kx
AKxx

KQxx
Kxxxx
Kx
Ax

Ooops!

I don't mind bidding game with N hand. When seeing the T and 4 card spades headed by K yea, I would love to be in game. I would think pass is also very reasonable seeing only 1 hand. But I also would think who claims this was a clear decision by N to bid game and we are way off is exaggerating .

If all the hands you are constructing are minimum gametries containing a wasted K, then of course you construct a lot of hopeless games! You are out of space, whatever you do, you will either miss some games or get to some terrible ones, or both.

Maybe I was overstating my case, but you'll have to construct better examples to convince me of that :P
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#18 User is offline   case_no_6 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-28, 11:27

View Postdboxley, on 2014-April-27, 16:56, said:

What went wrong?

What went wrong is that the 1H overcaller failed to show the potential to play in spades. I don't like to Double for takeout here if responder's bid in the other minor would be embarrassing as it is here.

Rather, in my way of thinking, a Michaels cue bid of 2D is right when holding 4 spades and 5 hearts or 5-5 in the majors. Partner will prefer to bid hearts without a clear preference and will be spades only with a clear preference.

I do not advocate the Michaels bid with unequal length in the majors when spades are longer, however. Notice that, had everyone's heart and spade holdings been reversed, the 1S overcaller (in the actual deal, the 1H overcaller) would have been able to compete with 3H to discover the heart fit.

#19 User is offline   case_no_6 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-28, 11:28

What went wrong?

What went wrong is that the 1H overcaller failed to show the potential to play in spades. I don't like to Double for takeout here if responder's bid in the other minor would be embarrassing as it is here.

Rather, in my way of thinking, a Michaels cue bid of 2D is right when holding 4 spades and 5 hearts or 5-5 in the majors. Partner will prefer to bid hearts without a clear preference and will be spades only with a clear preference.

I do not advocate the Michaels bid with unequal length in the majors when spades are longer, however. Notice that, had everyone's heart and spade holdings been reversed, the 1S overcaller (in the actual deal, the 1H overcaller) would have been able to compete with 3H to discover the heart fit.

#20 User is offline   case_no_6 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-28, 11:31

What went wrong?

What went wrong is that the 1H overcaller failed to show the potential to play in spades. I don't like to Double for takeout with 4 spades and 5 hearts if responder's bid in the other minor would be embarrassing as it would be here.

Rather, in my way of thinking, a Michaels cue bid of 2D is useful for showing hands interested in only the majors when holding 4 spades and 5 hearts or 5-5 in the majors. Partner will prefer to bid hearts without a clear preference and will bid spades only with a clear preference.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users