BBO Discussion Forums: How to calculate the distributive strength of the hand? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How to calculate the distributive strength of the hand? Dstributive strength

#81 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-May-04, 14:28

View Postmikeh, on 2014-May-02, 10:16, said:

I can hardly believe that this thread has persisted for so long.

Because the OP keeps bumping it, adding posts with just a dot or adding nothing, sometimes using a fake acocunt for it. But the moderators won't do anything about it.

#82 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-04, 16:46

View PostFluffy, on 2014-May-04, 14:28, said:

Because the OP keeps bumping it, adding posts with just a dot or adding nothing, sometimes using a fake acocunt for it. But the moderators won't do anything about it.

Which poster are you suspicious of using a fake account? As far as I see all the replies came from legit accounts. Do you mean gergana and lovera and lurpoa are same people?
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#83 User is offline   Fluffy 

Posted 2014-May-05, 15:36

yeah lovera, come on, a user with 0 posts that uses the same dot post to bump?, I don't believe in coincidences

#84 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-May-05, 15:41

View PostFluffy, on 2014-May-05, 15:36, said:

yeah lovera, come on, a user with 0 posts that uses the same dot post to bump?, I don't believe in coincidences

There was a problem with double posts in the forums, that's why there are many empty posts. Lovera is a legit user, she posts in news comments too, since before this thread existed.

#85 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2014-May-09, 02:13

View Postdiana_eva, on 2014-May-05, 15:41, said:

There was a problem with double posts in the forums, that's why there are many empty posts. Lovera is a legit user, she posts in news comments too, since before this thread existed.

1) I have posted initially in italian but acttually i write in english
2) i am male (my name is Carlo)
3) some times i have posted and then cancelled any post that then rested empty.

#86 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-May-09, 08:51

Lovera, is legit.
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#87 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-10, 00:16

See post 12 in hand evaluation.

#88 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-15, 07:17

As you may see in the post indicate i don't use Courtenay losing trick count except in two cases : 2 club open bidding (see my post in Counting Quick Tricks or Difensive Tricks to know i apply) and barrage declaration (considering Ace and King only winners..). So this is my advice : See first if your deal present three colors with 2 cards or less (from 2-2-2 to 0-0-0) or we have a tricolor distribution (4-4-4-1 or 5-4-4-0). These deals are 12 and have a factor of correction of -1 so started in this case with 18 (=19-1) to betray the two longest
suits ( such as 18 - 9 in 7-2-2-2 is 9 losers (= 4x2+1 losers Courtenay ). The last five deals: 10-1-1-1 already defeat (17) whilest 11, 12 and 13 are rare (from 0,0002 to 0,000000006299 per cent) so not to heavy the algoritm them are ignored . All the oterhs deals are more common and have 19 data to calcolate the losers (such as 19 - 9 in 5-4-3-1 is 10 = 3+3+3+1). This in fact is another way to determinate losers (all the deals have 0 winners if any winner is your must detray this number of winner to have laser of your hand ) .Bye .

#89 User is offline   Fluffy 

Posted 2014-May-16, 01:37

another bump for this useless thread, that shouldn't even be on this forum, will moerators ever do anything?

#90 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-May-16, 02:06

View PostFluffy, on 2014-May-16, 01:37, said:

another bump for this useless thread, that shouldn't even be on this forum, will moerators ever do anything?

Ben already addressed this in the moderators' thread. None of us will over-rule Ben obv.

#91 User is offline   gergana85 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-May-30, 04:53

View Postgwnn, on 2014-May-02, 09:41, said:

So let me try to explain what my point was. As opposed to you, I did not insult you when I brought up monkeys.....

I accept your explanation of the trained monkey, but with some reservations. The reasons are 3:

- I see that you understand that the example of the zoo insult me, but you are continuing with the same examples;
- I accept that it is normal a person unintentionally to afflict someone without any intentions, but I also think it is okay to apologize. You do not apologize;
- Following your logic why you insulted by my example with an animal from the zoo after you put me below level of the trained monkey and I like such (an untrained monkey) answered you? Why you not take my answer as a compliment to your “exact” definition?

I want to say that in the future, when someone passes certain limit against me, he will receive immediate and equivalent reaction in the opposite direction. Until now, I did not allow myself this, even though I had enough reasons.
I believe that the case is closed. Nevertheless, I am glad your questions (they are important for me) and I begin to answer them.

1. I never say that I created a method for а general evaluation of the hand (as LTC). I just tried to find the factors affecting on the strength distribution and found (and proved) that it depends of the sum of the two longest suits. It would be possible to imagine, but it has not been proven until now. I determined (and proved) that in some rare cases Lmax is influenced not only by the sum of the lengths of the two longest suits but there is an additional dependency by the lengths of the each three longest suits. Nothing more.

2. Continuing in this way, I do not reject the use of LTC. But it must undergo known corrections. Yes, LTC method gives correct results, but as you has noticed only for distributions with no more than 10-card suit. According to LTC, in the distribution 13-0-0-0 has 3 losers, which is obviously not true. My formula is true for all 39 possible distributions.

3. What do you find complicated in the formula:

Lmax = 19 – S1,2 – (P1 – P2 – P3)

This formula in more than 96% of cases is confined to the formula (when talking about percentages, I mean the probability to get such distribution):

Lmax = 19 – S1,2

To argue that this is difficult is not correct. It is no more difficult than using the formula:

LTC_max=min(L1,3)+min(L2,3)+min(L3,3)+min(L4,3)

Yes, this formula does the same job but it is not part of the method LTC. According to ypur formula, the maximum number of the losers is not equal to a constant and that each distribution has a different value of Lmax. I say the same. But LTC says otherwise. According to this method always Lmax is equal to 12.
4. Not every player uses the LTC. But each player evaluates the distributive strength of the hand. And every one of them must know the factors affecting on it. This also applies to those who use LTC.

Pavel Bogev from Bulgaria. My nick in BBO is “gergana85”. Sorry for my bad English but.... no one here knows Bulgarian.

#92 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2014-May-30, 05:50

I accept your explanation of the trained monkey, but with some reservations. The reasons are 3:

- I see that you understand that the example of the zoo insult me, but you are continuing with the same examples;
But it is not an insult to you. I explained why not and you accepted it. You clearly got insulted but that was not my intention and there was no reason other than you not reading my post properly.

- I accept that it is normal a person unintentionally to afflict someone without any intentions, but I also think it is okay to apologize. You do not apologize;
No, I didn't, because I did not insult you. I cannot apologise for you automatically taking any mention of a "trained monkey" in a post replying to you as an insult. I always assume people read and understand my posts before replying to them.

Emphasis mine:

- Following your logic why you insulted by my example with an animal from the zoo after you put me below level of the trained monkey and I like such (an untrained monkey) answered you? Why you not take my answer as a compliment to your “exact” definition?

You still don't understand. Saying "even an untrained monkey can apply method A. That is not true for the equivalent method B." is not putting anyone under the level of the monkey. It puts method B under method A, since it is easier to apply.

I want to say that in the future, when someone passes certain limit against me, he will receive immediate and equivalent reaction in the opposite direction.

And isn't this a pity? Wouldn't it be better if you stopped and read my purported insult before you decide that you need to retaliate? There is always a turning point in any internet (or real-life) discussion when replies to opposing arguments turns into reactions to opposing insults. Wouldn't we be better served if we tried to delay this moment as much as possible? For example, by first establishing whether our feeling offended is actually based on anything other than paranoia?

The reason why
LTC_max=min(x1,3)+min(x2,3)+min(x3,3)+min(x4,3) is much simpler than your formula is because you don't need to do any maths. The only function here is addition and the minimum function, which is extremely easy to apply visually: you just count the top 3 cards of a suit, no need to count the total length, sort the lengths, subtract from 19. You just look at your hand after sorting them by suits. You may say that your version is also simple, I tend to agree, except that there are already:
-rule of 11 for 4-th best leads
-rule of 10 or 12 for 3/5th best leads
-rule of 19/20/21 for openings
-rule of 1/2/4, or whichever you prefer, for preempts
and a bunch more that I can't recall now. So your formula adds another numerical constant, 19, and people will find it a bit confusing, I think.

Of course LTC proper will never give AKQJT98765432 - - - as a 3-loser hand. It will give it 0, since it also accounts for A/K/Q. It will give wrong answers for holdings like AKJT98765432 2 - - where it would give 2 losers instead of one, but hopefully you can see how a) this hand never comes up and b) hopefully anyone can realise how this hand is worth at least slam.

You also say that according to LTC, the maximum amount of losers of any distribution is 12. I don't know where you got this from. LTC also considers any 4-th and subsequent card to be a winner. No one who applies LTC to a 5431 will ever get a higher value than 10.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#93 User is offline   gergana85 

• PipPip

Posted 2014-May-30, 07:33

View PostLovera, on 2014-May-15, 07:17, said:

As you may see in the post indicate i don't use Courtenay losing trick count except in two cases : 2 club open bidding (see my post in Counting Quick Tricks or Difensive Tricks to know i apply) and barrage declaration (considering Ace and King only winners..). So this is my advice : See first if your deal present three colors with 2 cards or less (from 2-2-2 to 0-0-0) or we have a tricolor distribution (4-4-4-1 or 5-4-4-0). These deals are 12 and have a factor of correction of -1 so started in this case with 18 (=19-1) to betray the two longest suits ( such as 18 - 9 in 7-2-2-2 is 9 losers (= 4x2+1 losers Courtenay ).....

I say the same. Hands in which three of the suits have 2 or less cards must make an adjustment. In this case, the length of the longest second suit (S2) is determinant. If it is equal to 2 (S2 = 2, distributions 7-2-2-2, 8-2-2-1, 9-2-2-0, 9-2-1-1, 10-2-1 - 0 and 11-2-0-0) correction is -1. But if the second longest suit is only 1 card (S2 = 1, distributions 10-1-1-1, 11-1-1-0 and 12-1-0-0) or 0 cards (S2 = 0 , distribution 13-0-0-0), the correction is -2, or -3 respectively. For 3-suit distributions (4-4-4-1 and 5440) correction is always -1. Yes, the chance to get a hand with longest suit with 9 or more cards is almost zero and these cases can be ignored. Furthermore, the evaluation of such hands is very easy and requires no formulas.
Pavel Bogev, Bulgaria

#94 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-30, 10:37

In fact i have tried to clarify better and in more simple explanation what have you said. Fourthemore the subseguent develop for distribution from 10-1-1-1 seems like Goren valutation for short suits: with 0 cards +3 points , with 1 card + 2 points , with 2 card +1 points extended to three short colors : with 2-2-2 until 2-0-0 -1 with 1-1-1 until 1-0-0 -2 with 0-0-0 -3.Bye .

#95 User is offline   gergana85 

• PipPip

Posted 2014-May-31, 07:44

View Postgwnn, on 2014-May-30, 05:50, said:

LTC_max=min(x1,3)+min(x2,3)+min(x3,3)+min(x4,3) is much simpler than your formula is because you don't need to do any maths.... And so on.

For me, the theme of the monkeys is complete and I will not more to comment on it. You have arguments, me too. They do not fully coincide. OK. Such is life.
I don't agree with your argument that with LTC no need to count, but only to watch. According LTC you need to count the number of the three top honors in all suits and then removing them from 12. Based on your reply, your partner does the same, but he subtract of 24 (to determine the level of contract). And I repeat - you must remember that I do not give a method for evaluation. I want only to show what are the factors that influence and how they affect on the distribution strength. I don’t mean nothing more. You ask me why you need to take a new formula when there are so many rules and the introduction of another would confuse the players. Well, some of those are unlikely to help in the evaluation of hand. On the other hand the new formula replaces some of them (e.g. rule 19/20/21 and rule 1/2/3).
You say that there is no information that LTC assumed that Lmax is always 12. Here are some sources:

http://www.bridgeguy...TrickCount.pdf.
http://www.bridgehan...Trick_Count.htm
http://www.bridge-fo.../i-trick-1b.htm
https://www.mrbridge...brary/LTC_2.pdf
http://www.phillipal...dge.com/LTC.HTM

There are many others. Just log into the internet.

Pavel Bogev from Bulgaria (nick “gergana85”)

#96 User is offline   gergana85 

• PipPip

Posted 2014-May-31, 08:06

View PostLovera, on 2014-May-30, 10:37, said:

In fact i have tried to clarify better and in more simple explanation what have you said. Fourthemore the subseguent develop for distribution from 10-1-1-1 seems like Goren valutation for short suits: with 0 cards +3 points , with 1 card + 2 points , with 2 card +1 points extended to three short colors : with 2-2-2 until 2-0-0 -1 with 1-1-1 until 1-0-0 -2 with 0-0-0 -3.

What you say is partly true. But here it comes to tricks, not for points (equivalent to HCP). I'm talking about the maximum number of losers, which means the maximum number of tricks that can be lost.

Pavel Bogev

#97 User is offline   gergana85 

• PipPip

Posted 2014-May-31, 08:19

View PostMrAce, on 2014-May-04, 16:46, said:

Do you mean gergana and lovera and lurpoa are same people?

Absolutely not understand people who take part in the forum, but did not discuss on the theme, just write sentences and dealing with conspiracy theory.

#98 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-May-31, 09:00

View Postgergana85, on 2014-May-31, 08:19, said:

Absolutely not understand people who take part in the forum, but did not discuss on the theme, just write sentences and dealing with conspiracy theory.

Na, don't get too excited. Only Gonzalo cares about who you are and why you are here and that is probably because he was bored.Posted Image Trust me no one is losing their sleep over you or conspiracy.Posted Image

#99 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2014-May-31, 14:25

Hey Pavel, thanks, I checked those sites, although not all of them completely, it's quite a bit of reading material that you give me. Why not directly quote from your sources if they say what you say? Could you show me a source which shows any hand other than a 4333 distribution that gives an LTC of 12? Please show me or point me to some direct quotes. Don't send me a book or anything like that. My name is Csaba BTW, originally from Romania, and I think our countries should be friends.
      George Carlin

#100 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2014-June-01, 17:28

OK, how about this PDF?

https://www.mrbridge...brary/LTC_1.pdf

He shows

And says it has 11 losers. Can you show me any quote where they take the total A,K,Q and subtract the number from 12? Anywhere?

The second hand from the very first link you gave me is:
Axxx QJT x xxxxx

According to your theory, they should give a LTC of 10, right? One A, one Q -> 10 losers. According to my theory, it is min(4,3)+min(3,3)+min(1,3)+min(5,3)-2=3+3+1+3-2=8 losers. Guess what the PDF gives? eight.

Could you read the sources before you link them?
      George Carlin

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users