BBO Discussion Forums: How to calculate the distributive strength of the hand? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How to calculate the distributive strength of the hand? Dstributive strength

#21 User is offline   gergana85 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-March-15, 05:34

This is not accurate. See post #20.

#22 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-March-15, 06:18

View Postgergana85, on 2014-March-15, 05:23, said:

see post #1

The link doesn't work, gergana... When you start a discussion, it's usually a good idea to explain what it is that you are looking for? Feedback for that calculator, opinions on how experts evaluate hands, etc.

EDIT: ah, i didn't notice you edited OP

This post has been edited by diana_eva: 2014-March-15, 06:28

#23 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2014-March-22, 08:17

Per errore ho parlato su questo argomento ma il mio contributo e' stato edito in Band evaluation a cui rimando chi fosse interessato, grazie.

#24 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-05, 11:50

View Postgergana85, on 2014-March-04, 07:46, said:

The maximum number of losers in a hand is inversely proportional to the sum of the lengths of the two longest suits.

I apologize for cutting your text short but it appears to be strongly based on the quote I kept. I feel if we
can disprove this one thought then we can safely ignore all that follows. Let us begin with a really
simple bridge hand (pretty much like every dummy I have ever laid down for partner in fact:)

87 8532 7643 854

Once we look at this wonderful collection I hope it is painfully obvious that the sum of the 2 longest suits (8)
would appear to make the maximum number of losers in this hand 5----as in five hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Pretty much any theory that feels this hand has a maximum of 5 losers sounds like it was written by some government
bureaucrat with entirely too much time on his/her hands and I will bet they are at least partially responsible
for the economic policies of the USA. To be bluntly honest this hand pretty much has as many losers as it has
cards 13 the two longest suits are completely useless when determining the number of losers in this hand.

I apologize if I have improperly analyzed the work you presented but if I read it properly it is not a useful
work since one cannot build an successful argument based on such a horribly wrong premise.

#25 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-05, 12:50

View Postgszes, on 2014-April-05, 11:50, said:

I apologize if I have improperly analyzed the work you presented but if I read it properly it is not a useful
work since one cannot build an successful argument based on such a horribly wrong premise.

I would advise learning what inversely proportional means.

If other factors remain constant, ???? ??? ??? ??? has more losers than ??????? ?????? - -

It's not rocket science! :P

#26 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2014-April-05, 13:37

Anyone else flashing back to the Zar Points arguments last decade
Alderaan delenda est

#27 User is offline   gergana85 

• PipPip

Posted 2014-April-07, 00:52

View Postgergana85, on 2014-April-07, 00:51, said:

Once we look at this wonderful collection I hope it is painfully obvious that the sum of the 2 longest suits (8)
would appear to make the maximum number of losers in this hand 5----as in five hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

About post # 24.Interesting arithmetic! In your example you think that 19 – 8 = 5(?), but I thing that 19 – 8 = 11. And once we accept that every fourth card is winning, everything falls into place.
But I agree with one - to say that 19-8 = 5 is really terribly wrong. And that someone quotes him is funny.
I say that Lmax = 19 - S1,2 - (P1 + P2 + P3).
In the example (2-4-4-3) S1,2 = 8, (P1 + P2 + P3) = 0 and therefore Lmax = 11 (number of the losers). The fact that someone can't to calculate is at his expense.
I apologize!

#28 User is offline   gergana85 

• PipPip

Posted 2014-April-07, 03:45

View Posthrothgar, on 2014-April-05, 13:37, said:

Anyone else flashing back to the Zar Points arguments last decade

Written in post № 1 has nothing to do with Zar Point. Moreover, it (Zar Point) is contrary to The law of the two longest suits.

#29 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2014-April-07, 05:10

View Postgergana85, on 2014-March-04, 07:46, said:

The maximum number of losers in a hand is inversely proportional to the sum of the lengths of the two longest suits.

Do you know what inversely proportional means? Y inversely proportional with X means specifically that
Y= c/X
where c is some constant.

If you mean to say "the longer the two longest suits, the smaller the maximum number of losers" then say that.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#30 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-07, 10:16

Dear gergana85,

There are quite a few mathematicians, statisticians, enigineers, and beta scientists on BBF. I am sure they are able to evaluate the function Lmax given by:

Lmax = lim s->0 (Sum i=1 to 3 ((3-Ni)*erf(Ni,pi,s)) + ((Sum i=1 to 3 (Ni))-10)*erf((13-Sum i=1 to 3 (Ni)),pi,s))

where
  • Ni is the number of cards in a suit, where i specifies the number of coughs needed to indicate the suit
  • erf(x,m,s) is the error function (integral of the normal distribution) of x with parameters m and s
  • pi is the ratio between the diameter and the circumference of a circle

I think that all expert bridge players (for whom this forum is meant) are perfectly capable of evaluating this function too, even if they are not mathematicians,... etc. . After all:

View PostPhilKing, on 2014-April-05, 12:50, said:

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#31 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2014-April-07, 10:55

View Postgergana85, on 2014-April-07, 03:45, said:

Written in post № 1 has nothing to do with Zar Point. Moreover, it (Zar Point) is contrary to The law of the two longest suits.

I wasn't discussing the specific's of the equation.
Alderaan delenda est

#32 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-07, 11:58

View PostPhilKing, on 2014-April-05, 12:50, said:

I would advise learning what inversely proportional means.

If other factors remain constant, ???? ??? ??? ??? has more losers than ??????? ?????? - -

I remain totally and utterly unconvinced that your contribution to this matter is anything but
a useless attempt to get in the last word. There is nothing remotely useful about this latest
response as it completely fails to address the mathematical issues involved. The fact that it
SOUNDS logical that the longer your 2 longest suits are the less losers you have does not mean
there is any practical advantage to using that theory when it comes to calculating losers in a
bridge hand.
AKQJxxxxxxxxx void void void
AKQJxxxxxxxx x void void
AKQJxxxxxxx xx void void
AKQJxxxxxx xxx void void
AKQJxxxxx xxxx void void
AKQJxxxx xxxxx void void
AKQJxxx xxxxxx void void
AKQJxx xxxxxxx void void
AKQJx xxxxxxxx void void
AKQJ xxxxxxxxx void void

ALL of these examples include 13 cards in the 2 longest suits the AKQJ are always in the spade suit
(so we aren't splitting them up making them less useful). If the theory of inverse proportion is a
reasonable premise to apply to the number of losers in a bridge hand then all of the above examples
would yield the same number of losers. The fact that it is totally obvious that this is incorrect
should make it simple for anyone to recognize that building an entire argument based on the idea
has to be wrong and not taken seriously. My apologies if I was unclear from the beginning and I hope
this somewhat expanded version will help lay to rest any further thought that using the principles
of this particular writing are useless from a practical standpoint. If any brilliancies are derived
from the work they are a matter of luck not logical assumption.

#33 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-07, 17:36

My scale is the best. I am naturally born with a hidden scale in my hands.

I pull the cards from the board. I move my hand holding the cards, up and down 2-3 times. It auto scales the value of the cards and i bid accordingly.Posted Image
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#34 User is offline   gergana85 

• PipPip

Posted 2014-April-10, 05:21

View Postgszes, on 2014-April-07, 11:58, said:

I remain totally and utterly unconvinced that your contribution to this matter is anything but
a useless attempt to get in the last word.....

You are mistaken. The reason is that you mix (probably unintentionally) terms Maximum number of losers (Lmax) and Real number of losers (Lreal) in the hand. For each distribution, Lmax is constant and does not change. At the same time the Lreal can be changed. It should be emphasized that Lreal is equal to Lmax minus the number of winning honors. In other words Lmax characterizes the distribution strength of the hand until Lreal shows general strength of the hand. Lreal may be equal to or less than Lmax.
For example in the distribution:

AKQJ1098765432-void-void-void

Lreal is equal to Lmax and they are nil, while in the distribution:

AKQJ109876543-x-void-void

Lreal is equal to 1, but Lmax is equal to 2. But in the hand:

KQJ109876543-x-void-void

Lreal is again equal to Lmax and they are equal to 2.
Else I'm not saying that players can’t determine the Lmax without these formulas. I say (and prove) that one of the main factors determining the general strength of the hand is Lmax and it directly depends on the sum of the two longest suits. Furthermore, I show what his influence is.

#35 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-12, 10:06

I similarly gszes said , valute 1 point from 5th. card and so on ( 5th: 1p., 6th: 2p., 7th: 3p., 8th: 4p. 9th. 5 p,...) then with 8 cards ,such as, 4 points. Have a good work.

#36 User is offline   Lord Molyb 

• Slightly less bad player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge

Posted 2014-April-20, 08:49

Someone tell me why I can't just do these things by how I feel or at least just a few simple calculations? :unsure:
Become yourself.

#37 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:student of the game

Posted 2014-April-20, 18:23

View PostLord Molyb, on 2014-April-20, 08:49, said:

Someone tell me why I can't just do these things by how I feel or at least just a few simple calculations? :unsure:

Don't feel bad. The calculations are pointless. The fifth card is a long suit is worthless if you end up defending with another suit as trumps.

#38 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-21, 07:07

I' m agree with you from the second half of your post

#39 User is offline   gergana85 

• PipPip

Posted 2014-April-22, 00:49

This article is proof that the distribution strength is determined directly from the sum of the two longest suits. Anyone can feel something, but not everyone can prove it. The feeling still does not prove anything. It may be true, but it cannot be true.
And ask how this formula (Lmax = 19 – S1,2) is causing too much trouble?

#40 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-22, 12:59

View Postgergana85, on 2014-April-22, 00:49, said:

This article is proof that the distribution strength is determined directly from the sum of the two longest suits. Anyone can feel something, but not everyone can prove it. The feeling still does not prove anything. It may be true, but it cannot be true.
And ask how this formula (Lmax = 19 – S1,2) is causing too much trouble?

Fancy formulas B-) Do you have some examples where your valuation system leads to a better result than standard methods?

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users