BBO Discussion Forums: Intervention by Passed RHO - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Intervention by Passed RHO I put us in 2S after this?

#1 User is offline   vodkagirl 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-March-13, 05:29

Partner is a random as are opponents. We are playing 2/1.

After, RHO bids on his second turn, I decide that we have my 14hcp and 6-9 hcp with partner so the contract is ours. I bid 2. Partner did not instigate NMF so I don't know if he has five without invitational values or just 4 in his hand. I decide we will just have to play the 4-3 fit if that is the case. Could someone please evaluate this 2 bid and confirm/deny that if I am going to bid after the intervention there is no other spot?

Much obliged.

#2 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-March-13, 05:33

It depends how likely partner is to rebid a 5-card suit by himself. Obviously you can't know this with a random partner so it's a guess.

On this forum you will find a lot of support for a direct raise of 1. Having not done that, I would bid 2 as well with your hand. Of course it would be nice if double is take-out here (giving partner a chance to pass if he has long clubs) but that is a bit risky without having discussed it with partner!
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-13, 07:43

Your bidding is as I would with a random partner. I don't think that 2 says "no other spot" ; partner may have just 4 spades and 4 or 5 diamonds, and while willing to give 1NT a try, prefers a better diamond fit to a poor spade fit.

#4 User is offline   vodkagirl 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-13, 09:51

View Posthelene_t, on 2014-March-13, 05:33, said:

Of course it would be nice if double is take-out here (giving partner a chance to pass if he has long clubs) but that is a bit risky without having discussed it with partner!

View PostfromageGB, on 2014-March-13, 07:43, said:

Your bidding is as I would with a random partner. I don't think that 2 says "no other spot" ; partner may have just 4 spades and 4 or 5 diamonds, and while willing to give 1NT a try, prefers a better diamond fit to a poor spade fit.

With the two above thoughts in mind it is clearly better to have X as a takeout double allowing Partner to place us in 2 or 2 or punish 2 if he is long/strong in them.

#5 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-13, 16:33

View Postvodkagirl, on 2014-March-13, 05:29, said:

Could someone please evaluate this 2 bid and confirm/deny that if I am going to bid after the intervention there is no other spot?

Much obliged.

You made a very reasonable bid and i suspect most would do the same if they do not have a prior agreement or meta rule about use of DBL here.

In general, so far,(not only this hand) i like the way you bid and the logic behind your bids. Looking at other topics you have posted, imo you are way ahead of your partners.

"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#6 User is offline   vodkagirl 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-13, 18:15

View PostMrAce, on 2014-March-13, 16:33, said:

In general, so far,(not only this hand) i like the way you bid and the logic behind your bids. Looking at other topics you have posted, imo you are way ahead of your partners.

This is very kind of you to say.

The real problem with my game is the play. I am busy trying to rectify this. Also, I often play tired after a full day. This leads to shocking lapses in concentration and commonsense.

#7 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-14, 07:09

View Postvodkagirl, on 2014-March-13, 18:15, said:

This is very kind of you to say.

The real problem with my game is the play. I am busy trying to rectify this. Also, I often play tired after a full day. This leads to shocking lapses in concentration and commonsense.

One of the best methods to improve your play/defense is to kibitz very good players (not all 4 hands, just 1 player) in BBO.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#8 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-14, 09:00

My partner isn't random, and if she were, I would be agreeing with all three prior responders.

1) My pard doesn't have 5 Spades.
2) My pard doesn't have 4 Diamonds -- (we don't use 2-way checkbacks).
3) My pard doesn't have 4 Hearts, nor should yours.
4) We apply the "Law", possibly too much.
5) We apply "When our auction is over, stop bidding"..possibly too much.

If I bid again (2S), I am looking for a target of exactly 4-3-3-3 on the other side of the table. If that isn't the case, some good things can happen when North has waltzed into our misfit auction by mistake, and partner can penalize.

From the view of Opener, I would rather have a Double of their reopening 2C bid on our misfit auction after their failure to act earlier to show something like 2-2-(54) and strongly suggest they have made a mistake.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#9 User is offline   vodkagirl 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-14, 18:58

View PostMrAce, on 2014-March-14, 07:09, said:

One of the best methods to improve your play/defense is to kibitz very good players (not all 4 hands, just 1 player) in BBO.

Thanks for the tip.

#10 User is offline   luckyloser 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-16, 08:55

your bidding shows exactly 3 spades. probably to an honor. and 13-14 hcp. also you are probably short in c. with a bare minimum or (even worse) 3 c there is no reason to bid now.
therefore you hold 8 (most likely 4-4) cards in the reds. i think your bidding describes the hand very well. also p has enough information to make a good decision.
dbl would be nice if available as takeout or to show a maximum....

#11 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-16, 09:12

View Postluckyloser, on 2014-March-16, 08:55, said:

your bidding shows exactly 3 spades. probably to an honor. and 13-14 hcp. also you are probably short in c. with a bare minimum or (even worse) 3 c there is no reason to bid now.
therefore you hold 8 (most likely 4-4) cards in the reds. i think your bidding describes the hand very well. also p has enough information to make a good decision.
dbl would be nice if available as takeout or to show a maximum....

Let us agree 100%, for the purpose of this discussion, that 2 shows exactly what you have. This information will not be welcome to Partner when she holds 4-2-2-5 or 4-(32)-4.

Double would indeed be nice if available as takeout or to show a maximum, AND partner can leave it in, AND otherwise couldn't double on her own.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users