• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Incomprehensible sport

#41 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-February-24, 10:44

Bbradley62, on 2014-February-23, 17:39, said:

Many activities, including ballroom dancing, ballet, etc. require expertise and athletic ability, but I wouldn't want to see them in the Olympics either.

The IOC recognizes competitive balroom dancing as a sport. But due to limits on the number of events, and afforts to reduce them, they aren't included in the Olympic Games.

http://en.wikipedia....etitive_dancing

#42 User is offline   32519 

• Insane 2-Diamond Bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Books, bridge, philately

Posted 2014-February-24, 12:50

Kite flying

#43 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-24, 23:49

One of these days a game is going to fall apart because everyone insists they have to be stationary.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#44 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-25, 12:36

Stop Press:

http://www.independe...l-30040426.html

Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#45 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2014-February-26, 16:24

Yeah, the tax court is who I regularly rely on for definitions.

I'll bet they also have their own opinion about what constitutes a "marriage".

#46 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-26, 16:43

To be fair, the tribunal went to great pains to clarify that it was purely considering the definition in the context of the legislation laid down in the EU directive and devolved UK legislation for VAT. They acknowledged that it was accepted as a sport for the purposes of IOC and Charity Commission definitions but considered that not relevant to the matter put before them.

But I have seen wording like this trotted out often enough. Having made up their minds what in their view the right answer should be, they then go to a lot of pains to try to prevent any possibility of appeal on the grounds that this or that factor has not been considered, by expressly showing in their obiter or ratio that the issues had been considered and then dismissed. There are for example some paragraphs acknowledging that mental acuity in an ageing population is demonstrably enhanced by playing bridge, and then pondering whether there is an "age-ist" problem with denying the geriatrics their VAT relief, followed by some tortuous rationale showing how it is all irrelevant, just in case someone were to take the point to the next level. It all looks a bit obvious, when you read the transcript with a suitably jaded view.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#47 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2014-February-26, 16:52

I understand. My flip reply was more of a commentary on why the government should have tax laws that care about the distinction between games and sports -- why are the latter tax-exempt?

This also comes up in the legal issues over same-sex marriages. Many people wonder why the government should be defining "marriage" and "family", instead of leaving it to individuals and religions. But as long as we have the government regulating insurance companies (who have family plans), banks (who have joint accounts for married couples), doctors and hospitals (spouses are allowed to make medical decisions for each other), and many other commercial entities (not to mention the tax laws of the government itself) that give special rights to spouses and family members, they need to have a clear definition.

#48 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-26, 17:53

The UK government has even stranger ways of defining what is subject to VAT and what is not.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users