BBO Discussion Forums: Another sort of contingency - BBO Discussion Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Another sort of contingency Chicken and egg problem.

#1 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-January-01, 16:14

Supposedly if you arrive at a table, and the pair play, say, penalty doubles of weak twos, you are not allowed to switch to intermediate twos. However, if you happen to know this pair's system, you can switch your methods before you get to the table. I don't think this makes a lot of sense. Can someone clear this up for me?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#2 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-01, 16:30

View PostVampyr, on 2014-January-01, 16:14, said:

Supposedly if you arrive at a table, and the pair play, say, penalty doubles of weak twos, you are not allowed to switch to intermediate twos. However, if you happen to know this pair's system, you can switch your methods before you get to the table. I don't think this makes a lot of sense. Can someone clear this up for me?

Your opponents are permitted to select their defence after you have chosen your understandings. You may not change your understandings after opponents have chosen their defences.

#3 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-January-01, 20:44

View Postpran, on 2014-January-01, 16:30, said:

Your opponents are permitted to select their defence after you have chosen your understandings. You may not change your understandings after opponents have chosen their defences.

Yes, I realise this. I am talking about knowing their defence in advance and changing your understandings in advance.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#4 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-01, 21:39

View PostVampyr, on 2014-January-01, 20:44, said:

Yes, I realise this. I am talking about knowing their defence in advance and changing your understandings in advance.

Won't do you any good. They are entitled, before the round starts, to know that you've changed your understandings, and then they're entitled to change their defense. If someone were to conceal the fact that they've changed their understandings, they would be cheating.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#5 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-January-01, 22:25

Still not answering her question. If we're EW and we know that NS-7 is playing penalty doubles of weak twos, are we allowed to decide, upfront, that we are playing weak twos except at table 7, where will will play, and will announce that we play, intermediate twos, and let them then decide what defense to play against that?

#6 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-January-01, 22:50

View Postblackshoe, on 2014-January-01, 21:39, said:

Won't do you any good. They are entitled, before the round starts, to know that you've changed your understandings, and then they're entitled to change their defense. If someone were to conceal the fact that they've changed their understandings, they would be cheating.

I do not have to disclose what system I have played at other tables.

#7 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2014-January-01, 23:04

View PostVampyr, on 2014-January-01, 22:50, said:

I do not have to disclose what system I have played at other tables.

No. You do have to disclose - in advance - what system you're playing at any particular table, to the opponents at that table.
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#8 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2014-January-01, 23:08

It appears that the question is whether a pair is required to play the same system throughout a session. This is a matter of regulation. I do not think the EBU requires this, but I'm not an EBU TD, and I'm too tired right now to hunt through EBU regs, so i'll let somebody else answer.
--------------------

#9 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-January-01, 23:09

View Postblackshoe, on 2014-January-01, 23:04, said:

No. You do have to disclose - in advance - what system you're playing at any particular table, to the opponents at that table.

Errr... Yes, very true. Please read the OP before supplying further comments.

#10 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2014-January-02, 02:38

Supposedly if you arrive at a table, and the pair play, say, penalty doubles of weak twos, you are not allowed to switch to intermediate twos.

I don't think I agree with your premise. Which rule says this?

Some jurisdictions have a more general rule saying that you can't change your methods during a session, but presumably you're talking about a situation where system changes would in general be allowed.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#11 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-02, 05:03

In the ACBL you are not allowed to do this, I believe, because there is a rule against playing different systems opposite different specific pairs (It is fine to say we'll play intermediate 2's when vulnerable, but not to say we'll play intermediate 2's against the "good pairs" or the pairs that play a strong nt or table 7 or whatever). But people do stretch a little knowing what their opponents systems and tendencies are (I'll psych 1nt against the pair without a penalty double, or stretch to open the 3rd seat 1nt off a point against same lack of penalty double, or bid one more against the pairs who always have to win the auction and you know are 110% likely to bid again over your bid, accept a borderline invite when playing against a weak pair, etc.).

#12 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-January-02, 06:29

I can't imagine wanting to change away from weak 2's against a pair who play Fishbein, for instance, against it. We gain, they lose, over the long haul.

If your weak 2's are such that it would be a problem, such as frequent scattered quacks and bad suits, you might have the problem. Then, however, you would be electing to have a weak two-bid when you open with one at that table; I don't think that is a change of system per regs.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#13 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-January-02, 09:41

View Postgnasher, on 2014-January-02, 02:38, said:

I don't think I agree with your premise. Which rule says this?

I don't know if this 'rule' is written down at all, but I believe that it is considered necessary in order to avoid the endless loop.

View PostMbodell, on 2014-January-02, 05:03, said:

In the ACBL you are not allowed to do this, I believe, because there is a rule against playing different systems opposite different specific pairs

Call me unimaginative, but I had assumed that this topic would have limited relevance in jurisdictions where this is the case.

View Postaguahombre, on 2014-January-02, 06:29, said:

I can't imagine wanting to change away from weak 2's against a pair who play Fishbein, for instance, against it. We gain, they lose, over the long haul.

If your weak 2's are such that it would be a problem, such as frequent scattered quacks and bad suits, you might have the problem. Then, however, you would be electing to have a weak two-bid when you open with one at that table; I don't think that is a change of system per regs.

Well, whatever. It is not important which methods you are switching to and why. The problem, as I see it, is that against this pair I would like to make some change, and so would you. I am familiar with this pair and their methods, so I make the change before coming to the table. You have never seen this pair in your life, and are not, as far as I understand, permitted to change your methods after being apprised of their defences.

#14 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2014-January-02, 10:37

View PostVampyr, on 2014-January-02, 09:41, said:

I don't know if this 'rule' is written down at all, but I believe that it is considered necessary in order to avoid the endless loop.

I don't think it is.

The loop allegedly arises when the opening side says "We play X unless you play penalty doubles, in which case we play Y." However, the defending side simply counters that by saying "Against X we play penalty doubles, against Y we play takeout doubles. Make your own arrangements."
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#15 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2014-January-02, 12:39

View PostVampyr, on 2014-January-01, 20:44, said:

I am talking about knowing their defence in advance and changing your understandings in advance.

Isn't this a simple "yes, you can" presuming that you have the appropriate system cards.

EBU Blue Book 2013

5A6 A partnership may play any number of different basic systems in one event provided that they play only one system against any given opposing partnership (other than as permitted by 5A5).

5A5 is not really relevant to this discussion, but as it's mentioned:

5A5 A partnership may play two basic systems at different positions or vulnerabilities only in Level 4 or Level 5 competitions, and only where rounds are of 7 boards or more. The partnership must display two system cards for each system, indicating the occasions when the different systems apply.
It is always permitted to vary certain parts of a system according to position and/or vulnerability. This includes, for example, variable NT openings and playing four or five card majors in different positions.

The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#16 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-January-02, 12:51

View Postpaulg, on 2014-January-02, 12:39, said:

Isn't this a simple "yes, you can" presuming that you have the appropriate system cards.

"Yes you can" change your system before you arrive at the table? Of course.

#17 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-January-02, 13:30

View PostVampyr, on 2014-January-02, 12:51, said:

"Yes you can" change your system before you arrive at the table? Of course.

And where do you get the requirement to decide "before you arrive"? You are playing against one pair at the table if you are E/W, and I don't think the silliness of standing up and then sitting back down is necessary if you are N/S.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#18 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2014-January-02, 13:58

Your premise is incorrect (assuming you have suitable convention cards ready).
You are fine if your opponents have decided to play a fixed system e.g. they are prepared to tell you that they always play penalty doubles of weak twos.
However, your opponents are also allowed to play penalty doubles of weak twos against some people, and take-out doubles against you. They are not obliged to tell you what defence they play against your two-bids until you have said what strength of two bids you are playing.

#19 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2014-January-02, 14:00

View PostVampyr, on 2014-January-02, 09:41, said:

You have never seen this pair in your life, and are not, as far as I understand, permitted to change your methods after being apprised of their defences.

You are permitted to change your methods if they are prepared to tell you their defences. They aren't obliged to do so, however.

#20 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-January-02, 14:39

View PostFrancesHinden, on 2014-January-02, 14:00, said:

You are permitted to change your methods if they are prepared to tell you their defences. They aren't obliged to do so, however.

So it is true, then, that the person who happens to know what defenses the pair play has an advantage. I do not think this is fair..

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users