• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

transfer responses to 1M

#1 User is offline   dick payne 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-February-07, 08:01

Transfer responses to 1M

Transfer responses to 1NT are almost universal. Their objective is not, as some people think, to place the declaration in the other hand. After all it is better to put the known hand down in dummy and either hand could have tenaces. The advantage is that they double the vocabulary of bidding. A simple example is 1NT 2H 2S 2NT. Responder has shown a raise to 2NT with a five card heart suit. The immediate response of 2NT would have shown something different
The cost of transfers over 1NT is the natural weak response of 2D. Over 1M the cost is the natural non forcing response of 1NT. This is not a high price to pay, many 1C systems play 1M 1NT as forcing anyway
Responses to a bid of 1H showing 11-15 points and 4+ hearts
1H 1S - natural forcing
1NT - transfer to clubs
2C - transfer to diamonds
2D - transfer to hearts
2H - courtesy raise on four trumps and less than 8 points
2S - weak two 6-10 points
2NT - natural, three card heart support . Opener can pull to 3H or 4H
3C* - game try splinter 8-11 points
3D* - game try splinter 8-11 points
3H - pre-emptive five card support
3S - slam try splinter 14+ points
3NT - natural, three card heart support
4C/4D - slam try splinter 14+ points
4H - to play, no slam interest

* can be game going on 11-14 points, in which case responder will bid game in spite of a sign off

The rebids are counter-instinctive. Break the transfer if you like it.
1H 1NT
? 2C - any hand which does not like clubs, even a singleton Responder may be making a weakness take out into a six card club suit with no more than AJxxxx in clubs
2H - a six card heart suit
2D/2S - five hearts, four of this second suit and three of partner’s clubs
2NT - a sound raise to 3C, 14-15 points or equivalent distributional values, could be five hearts four clubs and a singleton
3C - a value raise to 4C if partner was promising 11 points (which he is not)
3H - six hearts and four clubs

1H 1NT
2C ?
2D - forcing, 4+ clubs 4 diamonds Responder can pass the rebids of 2H,2NT or 3C
2H - 8-10 points 4+ clubs 3 hearts
2S - natural, forcing
2NT - non forcing
3C - forcing
3H - forcing three card support

1H 2D
Primary heart support, shows any hand worth between two and a half hearts and seven hearts. Opener rebids 2H on any hand which has no interest in game opposite 8-10 points. Bidding another suit shows at least game interest. A jump to 4H is unhelpful if partner is interested in a slam. 3S,4C,4D are splinters

Slam Splinters.
Do not splinter on a Singleton Ace because partner will devalue Kxx or KQx
Opener discounts all cards in the splinter suit except the Ace. This will give him a RESIDUAL POINT COUNT
Qx / KQxxx / KQx / Jxx 1H 3D a residual 8 count
Ax / KQxxx / xxx / AQx 1H 3D a residual 15 count

With 8-9 RC sign off and sign off again if partner tries again
With 10-11 RC sign off and accept if partner tries again
With 12-13 RC cue bid but if partner signs off, pass
With 14-15 RC cue bid and go on even if partner signs off

28 points total residual count is worth a slam. If the splinter suit is xxx opposite x, the opponents have 10 points to win one trick and a further 2 points to try and win another. If the splinter suit is Axx opposite x, the opponents have six points wasted and a a remaining six points to try and take two tricks
4NT (the old faithful) is totally irrelevant. What is required is fillers in the three other suits. There can be a lay down slam with an Ace missing, and a hopeless slam with all the controls and no stuffing. 4NT is part of the cue bidding process.
Trump length will be vital Axxxx opposite Kxxxx does not expect a loser, but with Axxx opposite Kxxx there is bound to be at least one loser

#2 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-February-07, 08:16

The problem is not the loss of a non-forcing NT so much as having to sort out all 3 strength ranges for each transfer range. You are also preempting yourself on some occasions with the only upside being the abilits to show a weak hand with a long minor at the 2 level - as an example, what are you responding and rebidding with a weak 3154?

The real point of the forcing 1NT is that is puts 2 of the 3 ranges into the cheapest call and then shows the last range naturally. In 2/1 the range to show naturally is the GF one, arguably the most important. My method is to turn this on its head and have the weak range shown naturally and the other 2 shown by the first step. Either way you end up with an efficient system. Your system could also be efficient too with some work; but that is the problem, who is going to put the effort into it to bring it up to the competitive standard of 2/1?

As a final aside, this is not the first transfer method to have been suggested. You might be able to short-cut some of the development work if you are able to research articles in major bridge journals and forums.
(-: Zel :-)

#3 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-February-07, 09:18

Here in ACBL land, after all that effort we would run into a big barrier ---the GCC.

However, we can use a transfer response structure after 1M Doubled and it can easily made into a total package because the lower starting point of "redouble" allows a full spectrum where all responses below 2 of opener's major are transfers and all holes are plugged.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#4 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-07, 09:50

View Postdick payne, on 2014-February-07, 08:01, said:

Over 1M the cost is the natural non forcing response of 1NT. This is not a high price to pay, many 1C systems play 1M 1NT as forcing anyway

I like a semi-forcing NT such that we can stop at the 1-level or opener can continue to show his shape. Once one hand has significantly started to pattern (e.g. opener showing a 5-cd major), it makes sense to let him continue patterning most of the time.

If I'm responding to 1S with x Axxxx Jxxxx Ax, I have values enough that we could make game somewhere (i.e. I have to do something), but I don't have enough to invite unless we have a fit somewhere. If I try to use a transfer method, which red suit do I transfer to? Do I pass opener's simple acceptance of the transfer bid or do I mention my other red suit?

If I make a semiforcing NT response and partner passes, I'll know that we 1) don't have game and 2) don't have a 9-cd heart fit so I'll be reasonably content. We're in a part score that ought to have some play. If partner rebids a red suit, I'll be happy. It's only if partner rebids 2C that I'll have a difficulty...but this is likely a misfit situation; we could lose if partner has 5314 and I had elected to transfer to hearts, but partner could also have had 5035 in which case I'm glad I didn't.

Lots of folks play transfers after (for example) 1M dbl but in this situation they have the extra bids of pass and redouble available (usually when they don't have direction) plus the idea of catering to weak long suits makes a lot more sense after an opponent has announced strength and our game prospects are less.

#5 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2014-February-07, 13:06

Transfer responses are only good after transfer openings (like in MOSCITO), because you have 1 extra step. Over a natural 1M opening you don't have enough space to transfer to every suit and NT.

When opps double your natural 1M opening, you can in fact play transfers because, again, you gain 1 extra step (RDbl).
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#6 User is offline   glen 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Military history, WW II wargames

Posted 2014-February-07, 17:43

Here is a structure:

http://www.bridgematters.com/idea3.htm

Two keys:
1) to get the forcing notrump type in, the cheapest response is either a transfer or a balanced hand (quasi-balanced, such as a 4-4-4-1 with singleton in opener's major)
2) opener's rebids are transfers

The pure transfer over the natural major opening does not work, as well described above
'I hit my peak at seven' Taylor Swift

#7 User is offline   Kungsgeten 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-February-10, 03:07

Magic Diamond use transfers over 1M: http://www.clairebri...agicDiamond.pdf

I've played these over a Moscito opening, where it worked okay. Just like Free says I think it is harder over a natural opening.

I know of one pair who play Magic style 1M openings (their 1M is 10--14 with 4+M (not 4333 or 4332) and possibly longer minor) and they use transfers rebids over 1H--1S too.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users