Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Tourney completion rate

#1 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-February-02, 04:30

Just a simple question really: Does your tourney completion rate get affected if you withdraw early from an Instant Tourney? And should it? (I think not, on the second question).
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#2 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-February-02, 12:53

Your Tournament Completion Rate does not get affected if you withdraw early from any robot tournament.

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-February-02, 18:33

View PostBbradley62, on 2014-February-02, 12:53, said:

Your Tournament Completion Rate does not get affected if you withdraw early from any robot tournament.

I believe this only applies to voluntary withdrawals. If you get disconnected and never finish the tournament, that counts against you. This is intentional -- we're not just looking for people who bail on tournaments, but also people who have drop out frequently due to poor connections. We're trying to predict whether they'll be a reliable player, not making a character judgement.

#4 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-February-02, 22:53

View Postbarmar, on 2014-February-02, 18:33, said:

I believe this only applies to voluntary withdrawals. If you get disconnected and never finish the tournament, that counts against you. This is intentional -- we're not just looking for people who bail on tournaments, but also people who have drop out frequently due to poor connections. We're trying to predict whether they'll be a reliable player, not making a character judgement.

I guess that's too complicated to explain in the online help:
http://www.bridgebas...tion_rates.html

#5 User is offline   Rain 

Posted 2014-February-07, 07:17

Err, I am pretty sure TCR is not affected by failing to complete any robot tournament. This includes withdrawing or DC.
On the other hand, if you complete your robot tourney, you get full credit for TCR.

There is no need to penalize a failure to complete a robot tournament because you are not inconveniencing anyone else.
"More and more these days I find myself pondering how to reconcile my net income with my gross habits."

John Nelson.

#6 User is offline   wynsten 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-May-21, 06:02

Is there any way to see the underlying statistics (number of tournaments played; number completed) rather than just the ratio, which is rather unhelpfully displayed in my profile as "unknown".

#7 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2014-May-21, 10:10

View Postwynsten, on 2014-May-21, 06:02, said:

Is there any way to see the underlying statistics (number of tournaments played; number completed) rather than just the ratio, which is rather unhelpfully displayed in my profile as "unknown".

No, not currently.

You need to play 10 tourneys in the preceding 60 days to get a TCR. You've played only 7 recently.

#8 User is offline   hdlorider 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-October-06, 21:10

Are team matches considered robot tournaments? If i withdraw from a team match, does it count towards the rate or no?

#9 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2018-October-06, 21:14

View Posthdlorider, on 2018-October-06, 21:10, said:

Are team matches considered robot tournaments? If i withdraw from a team match, does it count towards the rate or no?

Robot tournaments are only tournaments where all the tables have a human sitting South and robots in the other 3 seats. Team matches are never robot tournaments, and leaving a team match should count.

A rough guideline is that it counts whenever your leaving will inconvenience other players, because you have to be replaced with a substitute.

#10 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2018-October-07, 14:58

View Postbarmar, on 2014-February-02, 18:33, said:

That is fair enough, but I suggest that TCR should be evaluated on a shorter period (say a week) and restored quickly when a user has had recent problems but clearly has a previous history of consistent finishing. Many of us have reliable connections at home but not when travelling.

#11 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2018-October-08, 18:12

Many people don't play enough tourneys in a week to get a useful average. We use 60 days and at least 10 tourneys so we can get meaningful statistics. If you have short-term problems, they shouldn't have a huge impact on your average unless you try to play in lots of tourneys while this is happening, and when the problem is resolved it shouldn't take long for your average to get back to normal.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users