BBO Discussion Forums: Introducing a new convention: Lee Two Diamonds - BBO Discussion Forums

• 13 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Introducing a new convention: Lee Two Diamonds

Poll: Introducing a new convention: Lee Two Diamonds (24 member(s) have cast votes)

Finesse or play to drop the king?

1. Finesse (24 votes [100.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

2. Drop (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#101 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2014-February-03, 14:39

The good old days were when Ken was arguing with Fred, now it's just 32519 vs gwnn :(
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#102 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2014-February-04, 03:17

View Post32519, on 2014-February-03, 11:14, said:

If the number of High Card Points added to the total of the two longest suits totals 19, the bid is acceptable within the English bridge tournaments. This is just 1 point higher than the lower limit established by the World Bridge Federation, which constitutes The Rule of Eighteen.

Obviously these rules are irrleevant as they refer to minimum standards for one level openings and not to an "average hand" for the purposes of 2 level openings. Fortunately we have some case law in this area and the WBF have indeed clarified that an average hand for this purpose is 10hcp with distribution being irrelevant. There is a good argument for this being rubbish but it is the line they have chosen to draw.

Whether this opening would be legal in England is another matter entirely as they do not use the WBF regulations there. You can check this in the Orange Book (but I am not going to bother at this time).

My 6-4 in the majors, 10-15 HCP hand pattern option, meets The Rule of Twenty, and therefore automatically the Rule of Eighteen and the Rule of Nineteen. With 2-1 in the minor suits, I am adding 3 distributional points for the singleton and 1 distributional point for the doubleton, bringing the minimum total hand strength to 14. With 3-0 in the minor suits, I am adding 5 distributional points for the void, bringing the minimum total hand strength to 15.

Even if you could do this, and as written above the WBF have specified that you cannot, you are comparing to an average hand. An average hand has 10hcp and I would guess a distribution of something more extreme than a doubleton. So something above 11. If the WBF changed its position and allowed you to count in this way then you could get away with 11+hcp for the 6-4 rather than the 13+ required under the current regulations.

I cannot see how my 2 bid will ever be outlawed by either the World Bridge Federation of the EBU. If somehow or other it does end up before an appeals committee, a head-to-head comparison with the current Multi can be put forward as part of getting the bid declared legal –

Because your opening matches the definition of a BS convention. It is not outlawed providing you manage to qualify for one of the tournaments where BS conventions are allowed. The reason why the Multi 2 is not BS is because there is a specific exception for it. A comparison of your opening to this exception shows that it does not qualify.

1. Multi has no known anchor suit (the other 3 players at the table are not sure whether opener has or ). With my bid the anchor suit is known to be 74.8% of the time.
2. Multi with strong options is permitted. Permitting strong options in my 2 bid should be no different.

As above, the Multi 2 opening would be BS without the exception for it written into the laws. That you have a known anchor suit for weak options is why your convention is not BS at all should you choose to raise the minimum standards for the 6-4 hand type. The point here is that an opening 2 that shows "weak with diamonds or various strong" is not BS. To qualify as a strong option requires 13hcp. So under the WBF regulations your multi has 3 non-strong options, not one.

In short, I can see absolutely no conceivable way that either the WBF or the EBU will outlaw the bid. The USA has already red-carded the current Multi in many instances. I will never in a lifetime even bother trying to get it legalized there.

As above, the WBF would not outlaw it, just classify it as BS. ZA also. England has different regulations that do not seem to be relevant to a ZA club.
(-: Zel :-)

#103 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-04, 12:00

View Postgwnn, on 2014-February-03, 14:39, said:

The good old days were when Ken was arguing with Fred, now it's just 32519 vs gwnn :(

I come back after a year and get a horrible sense of deja vu.

Pretty sure that when I decided to take some time off from my BBF addiction it was in the middle of an epic 32519 vs Zel & hrothgar flame war.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#104 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2014-February-04, 12:15

FAO 32519 your convention is *****

regards,

bbo forums
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#105 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2014-February-05, 02:21

View Postphil_20686, on 2014-February-04, 12:00, said:

Pretty sure that when I decided to take some time off from my BBF addiction it was in the middle of an epic 32519 vs Zel & hrothgar flame war.

Do you consider my post above flaming? I would be somewhat disappointed with myself if it came across that way. :unsure:

#106 User is offline   32519 

• Insane 2-Diamond Bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Books, bridge, philately

Posted 2014-February-05, 03:32

If somehow or other it does end up before an appeals committee, a head-to-head comparison with the current Multi can be put forward as part of getting the bid declared legal –
1. Multi has no known anchor suit (the other 3 players at the table are not sure whether opener has or ). With my bid the anchor suit is known to be 74.8% of the time.
2. Multi with strong options is permitted. Permitting strong options in my 2 bid should be no different.

In short, I can see absolutely no conceivable way that either the WBF or the EBU will outlaw the bid. The USA has already red-carded the current Multi in many instances. I will never in a lifetime even bother trying to get it legalized there.

View PostZelandakh, on 2014-February-04, 03:17, said:

The reason why the Multi 2 is not BS is because there is a specific exception for it. A comparison of your opening to this exception shows that it does not qualify.

The Multi 2 opening would be BS without the exception for it written into the laws. That you have a known anchor suit for weak options is why your convention is not BS at all should you choose to raise the minimum standards for the 6-4 hand type. The point here is that an opening 2 that shows "weak with diamonds or various strong" is not BS. To qualify as a strong option requires 13hcp. So under the WBF regulations your multi has 3 non-strong options, not one.

Now this is starting to get even more intriguing. Flannery is a legal bid in the USA, both anchor suits are known, and the HCP range is stipulated as 11-15. So effectively Flannery also meets the Rule of 20, 11 points in HCP and 9 cards in your two longest suits.

The anchor suit in my 2 is also known; 74.8% of the time it is . When one of the strong options is opened, as soon as opener makes his second bid, the 6-4 hand pattern is revealed, minimum of 10 HCP plus the 10 cards in my two longest suits.

Chances are this bid of mine will be legal in the USA as well, not being brown sticker in any way.

#107 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2014-February-05, 04:08

Once again, America has its own regulations and these are completely separate from those of the WBF (and the EBU). The reason Flannery is legal on the GCC in America is because it is explicitly stated. Anything not explicitly stated as GCC-legal is not. Lee 2 is not listed on the GCC. I can assure you that it is not BS under the ACBL though.

#108 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-05, 04:42

View Post32519, on 2014-February-05, 03:32, said:

The anchor suit in my 2 is also known; 74.8% of the time it is .

That's 25.2% short of being a known anchor suit.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#109 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-05, 05:10

View PostZelandakh, on 2014-February-05, 02:21, said:

Do you consider my post above flaming? I would be somewhat disappointed with myself if it came across that way. :unsure:

it certainly didn't come across that way to me. In fact it came across as an incredibly patient attempt to be genuinely helpful, even though you must have suspected it would be ignored or misunderstood by the intended recipient.

#110 User is offline   32519 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-05, 06:43

View PostZelandakh, on 2014-February-05, 04:08, said:

Once again, America has its own regulations and these are completely separate from those of the WBF (and the EBU). The reason Flannery is legal on the GCC in America is because it is explicitly stated. Anything not explicitly stated as GCC-legal is not. Lee 2 is not listed on the GCC. I can assure you that it is not BS under the ACBL though.

The future of my 2 bid shines brighter by the day. To get it out to a wider audience sooner, I need to bring it to the attention of the ACBL, i.e. submit it to them directly. Someone else posted somewhere that whenever something is submitted for approval, it needs to be accompanied by a suggested defence.

Well the suggested defence is really quite simple – treat the bid as though the opponents have opened a natural weak two in diamonds. After that I intend submitting the following to the ACBL as part of my getting approval request:
1. Double = a takeout of
2. 2/2/3 = all natural
3. 2NT = Treated as natural, i.e. as though the opponents have opened the bidding with 1NT. Each individual partnership can agree on their own HCP range for a 2NT overcall; some will choose 13-15 HCP, others will choose 15-17 HCP, others maybe 16-18 HCP.
4. A 3 overcall can be treated as any other Michael’s overcall, 5-5 in the majors.
5. After a t/o double of 2, 2NT by partner of doubler can be treated as Lebensohl.

25.2% of the time the opponents will run into one of the three strong options and end up with a bad result. Tuffies! That’s all part of the game.

#111 User is online   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2014-February-05, 06:56

View Post32519, on 2014-February-05, 03:32, said:

Chances are this bid of mine will be legal in the USA as well, not being brown sticker in any way.

The Lee 2D opening is not listed in either the GCC or the Midchart, nor does it have a suggested defense in the ACBL's Defense Database.
It clearly can not be played in the vast majority of ACBL events.

With this said and done, I do believe that this opening is sanctioned at the Superchart level.
Alderaan delenda est

#112 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-05, 07:08

View Post32519, on 2014-February-05, 06:43, said:

The future of my 2 bid shines brighter by the day. To get it out to a wider audience sooner, I need to bring it to the attention of the ACBL, i.e. submit it to them directly. Someone else posted somewhere that whenever something is submitted for approval, it needs to be accompanied by a suggested defence.

Well the suggested defence is really quite simple – treat the bid as though the opponents have opened a natural weak two in diamonds. After that I intend submitting the following to the ACBL as part of my getting approval request:
1. Double = a takeout of
2. 2/2/3 = all natural
3. 2NT = Treated as natural, i.e. as though the opponents have opened the bidding with 1NT. Each individual partnership can agree on their own HCP range for a 2NT overcall; some will choose 13-15 HCP, others will choose 15-17 HCP, others maybe 16-18 HCP.
4. A 3 overcall can be treated as any other Michael’s overcall, 5-5 in the majors.
5. After a t/o double of 2, 2NT by partner of doubler can be treated as Lebensohl.

25.2% of the time the opponents will run into one of the three strong options and end up with a bad result. Tuffies! That’s all part of the game.

That wouldn't even come close to being an acceptable defence. You also need to consider future bids by the opposing sides, plus with 2D being "forcing", differences between immediate actions and delayed actions etc. Also, you can't ignore the stronger options and just say "Tuffies!", especially when they're that frequent.
Wayne Somerville

#113 User is offline   32519 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-05, 09:55

View Posthrothgar, on 2014-February-05, 06:56, said:

The Lee 2D opening is not listed in either the GCC or the Midchart, nor does it have a suggested defense in the ACBL's Defense Database.
It clearly can not be played in the vast majority of ACBL events.

With this said and done, I do believe that this opening is sanctioned at the Superchart level.

Do you know the contact details of the ACBL person or department that I need to submit my bid to in order to get it onto their database, and therefore legalised at all level events at the same time?

#114 User is online   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2014-February-05, 10:24

View Post32519, on 2014-February-05, 09:55, said:

Do you know the contact details of the ACBL person or department that I need to submit my bid to in order to get it onto their database, and therefore legalised at all level events at the same time?

You want the ACBL's C&C Committee which can be found on the organization's web site.

With this said and done

1. There is zero precedence for allowing this type of method at the GCC level.
2. The C&C committee has not been sanctioning defenses for Midchart Conventions for five years or so.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a reply. If you get one, it will probably be something equivalent to
"Why is some random South African wasting my time"
Alderaan delenda est

#115 User is offline   HighLow21 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-February-05, 10:40

View Posthrothgar, on 2014-February-05, 10:24, said:

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a reply. If you get one, it will probably be something equivalent to
"What is some random South African wasting my time"

Wow.
There is a big difference between a good decision and a good result. Let's keep our posts about good decisions rather than "gotcha" results!

#116 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-February-05, 10:41

View Post32519, on 2014-February-05, 09:55, said:

Why not apply for the approval of your own NBO?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#117 User is online   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2014-February-05, 10:47

View PostHighLow21, on 2014-February-05, 10:40, said:

Wow.

It will be phrased more politely. There will probably be questions such as

1. Do you plan to play in events in the US?
2. If so, are you an ACBL member? WHy not pony up some $$$ so we know that you are serious...

However, the gist is "Why are you wasting our time"
"Member service" has never been a strong point for the C&C
Alderaan delenda est

#118 User is online   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2014-February-05, 10:48

View PostHighLow21, on 2014-February-05, 10:40, said:

Wow.

It will be phrased more politely. There will probably be questions such as

1. Do you plan to play in events in the US?
2. If so, are you an ACBL member? Why not pony up some $$$ so we know that you are serious...

However, the gist is "Why are you wasting our time"
Alderaan delenda est

#119 User is offline   PeterAlan 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-05, 11:36

32519, you raised the issue of the compliance of your 2 opener with EBU regulations, and Vampyr gave you a partial reply. For the reasons already noted, it's hardly a matter of great practical importance, but since I could do with an opportunity to look at the EBU's regulations on multi bids, here's why I consider your 2 opener does not meet them.

The current EBU regulations (Blue Book 2013 "BB") define bidding regulations in terms of Levels. Level 4 (part 7 of BB), which applies for most EBU tournaments and club sessions, is probably the most relevant for just that reason; the more restrictive Level 2 (part 6 of BB) typically applies at novice / "no-fear" events and the like. There are also Level 5 (part 9) and something broadly corresponding to the now obsolete Level 3 (part 8). It would be too lengthy to quote all the EBU regulations, but an important definition is Extended Rule of 25 ("ER25"; BB5C3), which is used (but not at Level 5) to distinguish between hands treated as "strong" and other hands: a hand satisfies ER25 if it's (1) Rule of 25, or (2) 16+ HCP, or (not applicable here) (3) 8 "clear-cut" tricks + other conditions.

View Post32519, on 2014-January-24, 11:57, said:

The 2 is Multi, promising one of the following hand patterns -
a) A natural 6 or 7-card suit, 6-11 HCP
b) 6-4 in the majors, 10-15 HCP
c) A big 4-4-4-1 hand, 16+ HCP
d) A big 5-5 holding in the minors, 14+ HCP

In terms of the characteristics that apply for EBU regulations:

a) This is classified by EBU as "weak to intermediate" in strength (BB4F1&2). Doesn't meet ER25 (it's no more than Rule of 15, ie 6s, 3 of some other suit and 6 HCP).
b) Doesn't meet ER25 (it's Rule of 20 (6+4+10)); does not meet criterion of "a king or more above average strength".
c) Meets ER25 because 16+ HCP.
d) Doesn't meet ER25 (it's Rule of 24), but would if range raised to 15+ HCP.

Conflicts:

Level 2 & below: "‘Multi’ style openings are not allowed" (BB6D3)
Suggested Level 3 replacement: Specifies traditional ‘Multi’ style opening; in particular only non-ER25 option is either a -only or a or weak option of limited HCP range (BB8C2).
Level 4: Non-ER25 options (ie your a), b) and, if not adjusted, d)) must all fit the same single choice from 4 options specified in BB7C1(b). a) and d) fit the same, but b) is the problem as it can't conform to the same category as a) / d).
Level 5: (Assuming not covered by WBF/EBL Category 3 exemption (BB9A)) b) doesn't show a hand with a king or more above 10 HCP (BB9A3(a) & BB9A1).

Additionally, you couldn't describe the bid as just "Multi" or "Multi-2" (BB3G1): further "appropriate qualification" is required.

Finally, a convention requires more than regulatory conformance to "shine brighter by the day". It also needs a cadre of people wanting to play it. I note your apt self-chosen Member Title - are there enough others?

#120 User is offline   HighLow21 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-05, 12:10

View Posthrothgar, on 2014-February-05, 10:48, said:

If your description is at all accurate then yes, service isn't a strong suit.
There is a big difference between a good decision and a good result. Let's keep our posts about good decisions rather than "gotcha" results!

• 13 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users