BBO Discussion Forums: Play 4[he] - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

Play 4[he]

#1 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-January-24, 06:29

2=old shiool precision, 6 clubs or 5 + 4M, 11-15. You may not like teh choices made in bidding but it is not a bidding topic. IMP

Lead= 7 3/5 std signals, E follows (5) as you play the A of
T2 =You play a small from dummy and take your finesse, loses to K
T3=W cashes A
T4=W plays another (smaller than 7), you take with K, discarding a club from hand

Hearts are 3-2 if you cash another trump

How do you continue ?
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#2 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-24, 07:44

Not convinced I'd have played it this way, trump finesse isn't working unless W has underled QJ, I think it might be better to cash K ditching a club, A and lead a club.

#3 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-January-24, 09:18

View PostCyberyeti, on 2014-January-24, 07:44, said:

<snip>, I think it might be better to cash K ditching a club, A and lead a club.

This is one way to go down if W holds

Jxxx
Kx
xx
AQJxx

View PostMrAce, on 2014-January-24, 06:29, said:

2=old shiool precision, 6 clubs or 5 + 4M, 11-15.

"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#4 User is offline   CamHenry 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-January-24, 10:25

Assuming I can avoid a spade ruff, I have 4 trumps, AK, AKQ for 9 tricks; a ruff in dummy brings me to 10. I win the lead then immediately lose the A; sure RHO may be able to overruff a with the K but if he does I then have 5 trump tricks. Supposing LHO plays a second diamond at trick 3; I win this one (pitching a ) and then ruff a . If this is overruffed, I can safely take two club ruffs in dummy. I think this makes 11 tricks if the come in, losing just the K and a .

#5 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2014-January-24, 11:01

View PostMrAce, on 2014-January-24, 09:18, said:

This is one way to go down if W holds

Jxxx
Kx
xx
AQJxx

since he has 5 or 6 clubs, he's much more likely to have one spade than 4, it depends slightly if he would open 2 or 1 if 4-6, also if you had a stiff spade, QJ9xx and 3 clubs opposite wouldn't you raise at this vul ?

#6 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-January-24, 11:29

View PostCamHenry, on 2014-January-24, 10:25, said:

Assuming I can avoid a spade ruff, I have 4 trumps, AK, AKQ for 9 tricks; a ruff in dummy brings me to 10. I win the lead then immediately lose the A; sure RHO may be able to overruff a with the K but if he does I then have 5 trump tricks. Supposing LHO plays a second diamond at trick 3; I win this one (pitching a ) and then ruff a . If this is overruffed, I can safely take two club ruffs in dummy. I think this makes 11 tricks if the come in, losing just the K and a .

I think this would be a very good reply, only if I said "this is the hand, this is the bidding, this is the lead, how do you play?" Instead I already gave some played tricks (for a reason) and asked "how would you continue?" I will not keep on replying to answers, especially the ones from non B/N players, which are irrelevant to the question that was asked.

While we are at it, why don't we discuss the bidding as well and show some conventions or different bidding so that they can land in 4 instead of 4 or something similar to that ? Because i am afraid the third non B/N level player who will reply will bring this up. And I promise I will not be offended if you tell me that something I wrote in the OP led you guys to reply the way you did. I am aware my English is not that great, I just did not know it is that bad.

Having said that, your line is very good imo. If you follow the line i started, i was aiming to illustrate that AKQ9x vs Txx is not guaranteed 5 tricks and if declarer cashes all the trumps without ruffing a club to dummy, he will go down. In actual hand spades were 0-5, and declarer already lost to K + A, when plays 2nd trump to hand and cashes 3rd one, thinking (wrongly) that he will discard his remaining 2 clubs on 4th and 5th spade he would go down.

I lost my interest, you two can continue if you want to. At least you did not go down like the first reply, while trying to answer/reply something that was not asked Posted Image

View PostCyberyeti, on 2014-January-24, 11:01, said:

since he has 5 or 6 clubs, he's much more likely to have one spade than 4, it depends slightly if he would open 2 or 1 if 4-6, also if you had a stiff spade, QJ9xx and 3 clubs opposite wouldn't you raise at this vul ?

I don't even know what you meant. Anyway, imo you should have spent more time on other things instead of garbage stayman and weak NT in your early bridge years, This way, instead of trying to win the postmortems, you would be bringing home more contracts that you play. But if you insist on an answer to the alternative line to yours, read what CamHenry wrote and discuss with him. Because i already wrote why i made declarer start the way he did. ( to bring them to a certain position, to make a point, which by the way i am very positive this is the most likely line they would take in first 4 tricks)

#7 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2014-January-24, 13:08

View PostMrAce, on 2014-January-24, 11:29, said:

I don't even know what you meant. Anyway, imo you should have spent more time on other things instead of garbage stayman and weak NT in your early bridge years, This way, instead of trying to win the postmortems, you would be bringing home more contracts that you play. But if you insist on an answer to the alternative line to yours, read what CamHenry wrote and discuss with him. Because i already wrote why i made declarer start the way he did. ( to bring them to a certain position, to make a point, which by the way i am very positive this is the most likely line they would take in first 4 tricks)

Mr Ace - do you realise how ridiculous you sound.

If you concentrated in your early years on things other than the system that 90% of beginners played when you learned in your country and learned American methods ...

If you'd said "I'm aware this may not be the only line of play but I did it to create a particular position" in the OP, I wouldn't have replied as I did. I would not take a heart finesse I was 99% sure was going to lose when I have the 87 in dummy for ruffing clubs, my money was on 1336 for W's shape or 1246 if that was opened 2 rather than 1, hence my question.

On your immediate heart finesse, are you not potentially in trouble if a trump is returned ?

#8 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-January-24, 13:26

View PostMrAce, on 2014-January-24, 11:29, said:

I will not keep on replying to answers, especially the ones from non B/N players, .

Sorry, my bad

View PostCyberyeti, on 2014-January-24, 13:08, said:

If you'd said "I'm aware this may not be the only line of play but I did it to create a particular position" in the OP, I wouldn't have replied as I did.

Cyber....Did you really think i asked this in N/B forum, to seek for help about where i have gone wrong in my early line ?

Or what was the best line from the start ? I would have simply asked "how would you play the hand?" just after the lead.

And why should i believe your above claim where you say you would not have replied the way you did ? I am straight shooter, when i ask "how would you continue ?" i mean exactly that. Not "How would you played differently from the start ?" You replied the way you did anyway. So let it go.

On your immediate heart finesse, are you not potentially in trouble if a trump is returned ?

No

You play spade towards dummy, then ruff a either b4 or after cashing the K, and play another towards dummy unblocking the T. They score club A, heart K and the 3rd trump that you left in worst case. Please do not let me write all the spade combinations and how you should play depending on what you face with, at least work this out yourself, it ain't really hard. I was not planning to entertain you when i started this topic.

#9 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2014-January-24, 13:48

View PostMrAce, on 2014-January-24, 13:26, said:

You play spade towards dummy, then ruff a either b4 or after cashing the K, and play another towards dummy unblocking the T. They score club A, heart K and the 3rd trump that you left in worst case. Please do not let me write all the spade combinations and how you should play depending on what you face with, at least work this out yourself, it ain't really hard. I was not planning to entertain you when i started this topic.

Spade to dummy, diamond ruff, 10 pitch win in dummy, now what ? if you ruff diamond and lead a spade I'll pitch on that too, you're welcome to 3 spades, 4 hearts and 2 diamonds.

The W hand I'm worried about is x, Kxx, Qxx, AQJ10xx

#10 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-January-24, 13:57

View PostCyberyeti, on 2014-January-24, 13:48, said:

Spade to dummy, diamond ruff, 10 pitch win in dummy, now what ? if you ruff diamond and lead a spade I'll pitch on that too, you're welcome to 3 spades, 4 hearts and 2 diamonds.

The W hand I'm worried about is x, Kxx, Qxx, AQJ10xx

Will you leave me alone if i answer this too ? If you promise i will explain that too (if you could not figure it out yourself already.)

#11 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-January-24, 14:04

I can not wait all day long, I have a work to do. All you need to say is " i promise i will leave you alone!" And you will get the solution, I promise! Topic is hijacked already ffs!

Just tell me the card you pitch on spade

#12 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-January-24, 14:12

Ok, i take your silence as "No i will not leave you alone"

I knew you were stalking me Posted Image (joke)

Mr Ace - do you realise how ridiculous you sound.

Now tell me again.... who did you say sounds ridiculous? Posted Image

#13 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2014-January-24, 15:57

Actually I had work to do, and I see it now, you do actually have enough entries and stuff to ruff for the dummy reversal if I keep discarding.

So I've learned something useful, which was my aim if you were right.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users